Bed Bugs

maritaysa

Are you referring to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551934

where ONE incident was reported/confirmed in November and taken care of? I have not seen or heard of any other cases. :confused:

Somewhere in that thread, the Magic is mentioned. Another thread I read refers to 2 cabins right beside the one that I have booked for our next cruise. This is my first cruise with LO, so I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be. CC is always pretty good about their offering their thoughts.

I didnt chime in on that thread, but i find it highly suspect. He posts a picture what are supposed to be bed bugs and then goes on with his review and says he will talk about the bed bugs later but never does. He mentions Carnival finely gets back to him but the whole time he has been sleeping in the bed with the bed bugs ??? Whole story just sounded fishy to me.

If i inspected my cabin and found bed bugs me, my partner and ALL OF OUR LUGGAGE and belonging would be camped out LITTERALLY sleeping in the guest services line until they found me a new cabin or something. I would NOT sleep in a room with bed bugs period! For no amount of time.

I didnt chime in on that thread, but i find it highly suspect. He posts a picture what are supposed to be bed bugs and then goes on with his review and says he will talk about the bed bugs later but never does. He mentions Carnival finely gets back to him but the whole time he has been sleeping in the bed with the bed bugs ??? Whole story just sounded fishy to me.

If i inspected my cabin and found bed bugs me, my partner and ALL OF OUR LUGGAGE and belonging would be camped out LITTERALLY sleeping in the guest services line until they found me a new cabin or something. I would NOT sleep in a room with bed bugs period! For no amount of time.

I agree. It was suspect that they would remain in the room.

If u have ant concern when travelling on ANY vacation you can purchase a special bed cover that protects you from bed bugs.

Well...yes... you can buy a BB matress encasement which covers the whole matress and zips up (think large pillow case with zipper) but that only works if 100% of the BB are actually on the mattress. If any are on the frame, headboard, carpet, boxspring if there is one, it won't help at all...

Other thing is what do you do when your cruise is over ? Take it with you ? They are not cheap - so you might not want to leave it there but do you risk bringing back a cover that may contain bugs or eggs ???

• 1 month later...

I just got off the magic Sunday...I suffered all week with hives, itching...Changed the sheets...still a problem. I called doctor on ship and he said to take benedryl....miserable trip. I didn't see any bugs in my bed. I was still wondering!! I didn't report to CCL. maybe I should...I was in room 8262..balcony. I was thinking maybe I was in the room that a cruiser before had a dog!!! Leave it to me to have that room! Oh well, cruise is over, nothing I can do about it. I am still itching!!:(

I just got off the magic Sunday...I suffered all week with hives, itching...Changed the sheets...still a problem. I called doctor on ship and he said to take benedryl....miserable trip. I didn't see any bugs in my bed. I was still wondering!! I didn't report to CCL. maybe I should...I was in room 8262..balcony. I was thinking maybe I was in the room that a cruiser before had a dog!!! Leave it to me to have that room! Oh well, cruise is over, nothing I can do about it. I am still itching!!:(

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you start feeling normal again. Thank you for the heads up. I think I will have to inspect the bedding for DH and I, and I think I'll pack sheets for our baby Belle's crib. I will also have to remember to pack Benadryl too. I hope that they've taken care of whatever caused that.

They can't "take care of" an allergy or bugs (no see ums, sand fleas, mange, whatever) in port, and if you have a really nasty allergic reaction, other things are likely to set your allergies off and continue the cycle for a while. It could have been bed bugs, but if there's an equal shot that it was allergies, it was probably allergies.

Ace Hardware and REI both have permethrin sprays for your clothing or bags that do repel bed bugs. It won't kill them if you have them in your house/room, but it will at least keep you from bringing them home.

If you are allergic to bed bugs they will come up in hives.

The hives will be in distinct track marks up the legs arms and buttocks,not random blotches but tracks:)

Den

They can't "take care of" an allergy or bugs (no see ums, sand fleas, mange, whatever) in port, and if you have a really nasty allergic reaction, other things are likely to set your allergies off and continue the cycle for a while. It could have been bed bugs, but if there's an equal shot that it was allergies, it was probably allergies.

Ace Hardware and REI both have permethrin sprays for your clothing or bags that do repel bed bugs. It won't kill them if you have them in your house/room, but it will at least keep you from bringing them home.

So true if,if it was bed bugs and you are allergic it can take weeks for the hives to go away:eek:

Encountered Bed Bugs in Asia,didnt bother me,just like small Knat bites but my partner was covered with big red blotches that lasted for over 2 weeks after the trip,she was too embarrassed to go to work for one week as it was so bad:eek:

Now we will never sleep in a strange bed without first taking off the sheets and checking for the tell tale signs,5 star or 2 star;)

Den

I seem to remember years ago reading that someone had a reaction and they figured out it was probably due to the laundry soap. I have never had that on board but I have used some at home that have been an issue for us. Just something else to consider if you are symptomatic. I personally never travel without benadryl...it can literally save your life if you have allergies.

I think I'll pack sheets for our baby Belle's crib.

That won't help, the bedbugs infest the room (furniture, carpet, walls, baseboards, etc) and will be happy to crawl over whatever sheet is there. If you bring your own sheet and do end up in a room with bedbugs, take that sheet home with you and you're likely to transport eggs (clear, sticky, and the size of a grain of sand.)

We ran into bedbugs in a Boston hotel. Had checked the entire bed thoroughly - they weren't there. Darn things were living in an upholstered chair near the window, and literally bit my butt. Itched like crazy! I threw that suitcase out rather than take it back home.

Bed Bath and Beyond also carries a "bed bug" spray for your mattress. I bought some for my daughter before she went to college. It was fairly inexpensive and it gave her some peace of mind. I can't say if it works or not, but I can say she didn't have any bed bugs:) This might be easier to bring along and you could spray the carpet, chair, headboard, curtains anything your heart desires :)

If u have ant concern when travelling on ANY vacation you can purchase a special bed cover that protects you from bed bugs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

If there was a bed bug problem in the cabin, just using a bed cover wouldn't completely protect you from them!

Totally agree even if it meant not being able to cruise!

Returned from 7 days on the Magic (Carnival) a week ago and also read the "bed bug" thread and it sounded suspect to me also. No mention of bedbugs on the cruise and with 4700 people onboard, you would've heard something I think! Word travels fast on a cruise ship. One lady fell and broke her hip as cruise was starting and that's all you heard about from several strangers for two days. Bed was wonderful and cruise was great!

Archived