MSC Divina August 19, 2017 Eastern Caribbean cruise review

Cherries Jubilee

Fantastic review - thanks! I enjoyed reading it. Sorry to hear you were ill, though. Having suffered a virus-like illness on a couple of cruises (crossing the Equator seems to cause me problems) I can relate to how you felt.

Thank you. I'm cruising again soon so I upped my vitamin intake to see if that helps me. I am crossing my fingers because I can see cruising becoming a delightful addiction!

We met so many people of all different nationalities both times that we sailed on the Divina. I'm sorry you found the experience with other passengers to be different. We, and the other couple traveling with us last month, love the buffet - especially the pastas and different sauces. And I'm Italian, lol. We love all the different foods and think they offer a lot. But everyone's taste is so different, it's all a matter of preference. Same for the shows-the entertainers are all so talented! Granted most story lines are hard to find, but I think so they can appeal to a wide variety of nationalities and ages. You did make me glad we didn't try the sports bar though. We were always full so never made it there! Lol

You didn't want to go to the shows and there was nothing else going on during that time, what about after the shows? Did they have anything going on later? We went on Freedom of the Seas in 2014 and then the Celebrity Infinity last July. The one thing we really missed on Infinity were the fun late night shows they had on Freedom. We are booked on the Seaside next March and we were hoping there would be fun things to do after the shows.

We met so many people of all different nationalities both times that we sailed on the Divina. I'm sorry you found the experience with other passengers to be different. We, and the other couple traveling with us last month, love the buffet - especially the pastas and different sauces. And I'm Italian, lol. We love all the different foods and think they offer a lot. But everyone's taste is so different, it's all a matter of preference. Same for the shows-the entertainers are all so talented! Granted most story lines are hard to find, but I think so they can appeal to a wide variety of nationalities and ages. You did make me glad we didn't try the sports bar though. We were always full so never made it there! Lol

I can totally understand the interaction issues being related to exactly who you cross paths with. With cruises there are so many people onboard that I understand how people on the ship at the same time can have different experiences. I don't doubt that this same issue could occur on any other line. I actually mention it only because in my opinion there is a higher possibility of this happening here and it could only be because the only loose fun activity that made strangers interact was the crazy Quest game.

Also I acknowledged both times that the crowd at the shows seemed pleased so that everyone reading this knows that other people had a much different view of that entertainment.

Food will always be personal opinion. I noticed many people around me cleaned their plates in the buffet. I wish my taste buds would have grabbed the flavors in those foods.

Most of my problems seem nonexistent with others. That is why it's important to me to make it known that we still had a good time. All it would take is a slight change in perception and experience from another passenger to make their trip better than mine and more like yours. I never expected a perfect cruise.

Edited by Cherries Jubilee

You didn't want to go to the shows and there was nothing else going on during that time, what about after the shows? Did they have anything going on later? We went on Freedom of the Seas in 2014 and then the Celebrity Infinity last July. The one thing we really missed on Infinity were the fun late night shows they had on Freedom. We are booked on the Seaside next March and we were hoping there would be fun things to do after the shows.

There was always at least a dance lesson or a movie planned for later and if you kept busy long enough not to lose your enthusiasm the galaxy disco always had a party later. I do hope that they skip the actor specific theme nights for the movies in the future. We got an actor that we actually like but it seems like that idea could exclude people as well.

I think people are going to have to give Seaside the benefit of the doubt. I haven't looked at the posts about its layout and who knows who'll be in charge of entertainment so we can't say where they're going with that.

Anyone who gets a great price should probably guess that they'll have at least as good a time as I did. Those are good odds based on all the reviews here. If that's good enough for you try it. I don't feel like the gap between my good time and a great time are that big, hence the 1 1/2 points missing 🙂.

Everyone has their own style of "meeting people". Some need formal introductions and others just make small talk to break the ice. I've found that when you make small talk, the other person will respond.

We had "an incident" on CCL Sunshine last week. We were at the buffet, a bit crowded, so we sat down next to an Asian couple, speaking an Asian language. After about 15 minutes of them speaking "Asian" and DH and I speaking English...it just felt so awkward.

When DH got up to get something....and I was alone with them (feeling even more awkward) I asked them "where are you from"? Turns out, they moved to the USA 20 years ago and lived about 20 minutes from us.

So, if you want to meet people.....just be friendly.

Everyone has their own style of "meeting people". Some need formal introductions and others just make small talk to break the ice. I've found that when you make small talk, the other person will respond.

We had "an incident" on CCL Sunshine last week. We were at the buffet, a bit crowded, so we sat down next to an Asian couple, speaking an Asian language. After about 15 minutes of them speaking "Asian" and DH and I speaking English...it just felt so awkward.

When DH got up to get something....and I was alone with them (feeling even more awkward) I asked them "where are you from"? Turns out, they moved to the USA 20 years ago and lived about 20 minutes from us.

So, if you want to meet people.....just be friendly.

I actually was pretty friendly. I smile and say "hi, how are you" to everyone I make eye contact with and if they respond at all I ask about where their from and about their cruise or whatever applies at the moment. Some people leave no openings for discussion which I believe usually means they want to be left alone and I don't ever want to be a bother to anyone because I understand that.

I had a few conversations, I just didn't run into a lot of people who gave the impression that they wanted to talk.

Super job. I know what a time-consuming feat it is to write a review this detailed. You have saved me from ever trying MSC. Food and customer service are way too important to us. I would strongly suggest you reconsider Carnival. We are not partying people, just a couple of 50-something people who have learned to appreciate Carnival. It wasn't love at first cruise, but it was a good enough experience that we were willing to return. We just got back from our third Carnival cruise-it was on the Liberty- and it was wonderful. Friendly and professional staff. Nice people. Good food. Good entertainment. No one on a Carnival ship has ever chided us for what we ordered or not ordered. Dh has never been ignored by a bartender. Quite the opposite. He's only met bartenders who made him feel like a welcome guest.

CherriesJubilee,

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this review. It gave me a bit of insight as to what to expect as well as some photos of the ship, food and surroundings.

I keep hearing negative reviews and as a first timer on MSC I'm mostly curious if it's much different than RCL or Carnival (my primary cruises taken). Due to the storms our October 14 cruise has already partially switched itineraries and I have no idea what will ultimately happen by then. I don't care where we sail...any port is fine. These days I mostly stay on board anyway. This cruise is booked with a friend through URcomped which is why we're trying it.

We'll be flying in the day before to FLL but now realize that I probably could have done the same day since the ship doesn't leave until 7:00. Oh well, better safe than sorry....(and an extra day away...lol)

Thanks for posting...I enjoyed reading your opinions on everything:)

Thank you for taking so much time to put together an absolutely wonderful, balanced review Cherries Jubilee! ...and the great photos!

We're on the Seaside next year - and this has helped set expectations for us.

Do you think you might have had a better time of it, if you weren't unwell for the last two or so days of the cruise?

Thanks again.

Thank you. Heading on the Divina next Saturday. I'm concerned about the note about having to order a drink at the sports bar. Have never seen that before...

I really don't know what is going on there. I was shocked to be told that and I wanted to make sure everyone here was prepared for this because not everyone buys drink packages or always wants a drink with their meal.

I found your report sad since you were one of the last cruises to be on St Maarten and San Juan. I thought your review was fair, thank you.

I find it sad too. It took me a while to post the review because it was sad to think of those beautiful places being battered by the storms.

CherriesJubilee,

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this review. It gave me a bit of insight as to what to expect as well as some photos of the ship, food and surroundings.

I keep hearing negative reviews and as a first timer on MSC I'm mostly curious if it's much different than RCL or Carnival (my primary cruises taken). Due to the storms our October 14 cruise has already partially switched itineraries and I have no idea what will ultimately happen by then. I don't care where we sail...any port is fine. These days I mostly stay on board anyway. This cruise is booked with a friend through URcomped which is why we're trying it.

We'll be flying in the day before to FLL but now realize that I probably could have done the same day since the ship doesn't leave until 7:00. Oh well, better safe than sorry....(and an extra day away...lol)

Thanks for posting...I enjoyed reading your opinions on everything:)

You welcome. I don't know what the other lines are like but I still think anyone who is willing to have a laid back time on a beautiful ship will enjoy this.

Thank you for taking so much time to put together an absolutely wonderful, balanced review Cherries Jubilee! ...and the great photos!

We're on the Seaside next year - and this has helped set expectations for us.

Do you think you might have had a better time of it, if you weren't unwell for the last two or so days of the cruise?

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently had I been well honestly. There were no activities I missed due to it so either way I would have been relaxing somewhere on the ship. I still did the karaoke and I still went and had dinner and drinks. I think it's just not a high energy.

I'm not sure why people thought of your review as negative. You gave your objective opinion.

(I just reviewed CCL Sunshine. I had a wonderful time but I didn't think the food was "the best ever" so people thought my review was negative. It wasn't.)

I was on the Divina almost 3 years ago, and have a trip planned for Feb 2018.

I loved the ship....I loved the "non-American" atmosphere. I found the crowd much more sophisticated than those of Carnival/NCL. But, that's not for everyone and not everyone is flexible.

I found the pizza equal to my NYC "50 years ago" pizza....and believe me, I am a pizza purist.

I can't wait to go back!

I'm not sure why people thought of your review as negative. You gave your objective opinion.

(I just reviewed CCL Sunshine. I had a wonderful time but I didn't think the food was "the best ever" so people thought my review was negative. It wasn't.)

I was on the Divina almost 3 years ago, and have a trip planned for Feb 2018.

I loved the ship....I loved the "non-American" atmosphere. I found the crowd much more sophisticated than those of Carnival/NCL. But, that's not for everyone and not everyone is flexible.

I found the pizza equal to my NYC "50 years ago" pizza....and believe me, I am a pizza purist.

I can't wait to go back!

Thank you. I didn't think of the review as negative either. It was just different. I loved the sophistication and elegance. I just felt if I rated it any higher it would have to be the perfect ship for me. I could've had more "fun" but I didn't find anything major wrong with that ship so I still had a good time.

I will read your review!

Side note: Does anyone know why a passenger had to be airlifted off during this cruise? It's none of my business so I didn't ask around on board but I did wonder...especially after my server abruptly changed.

Cherries...for your convenience, here's what I wrote:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2544507

This reminds me of the Divina 3 years ago. All the Americans were complaining that the food was not prepared for Americans....lol.

Thanks for the link.

I didn't find the food on Divina to be any different than normal as far as what was available. I wouldn't even say there were more pasta dishes than I'm used to at a buffet. Maybe they've changed their offerings since then.