Late embarkation & suite specialty dining

dickinson

Anyone who has traveled to Alaska in a suite who did a cruise tour first and then a southbound cruise? Embarkation for those folks is after about 6:30 pm and then there is the muster drill. When do you use the complimentary specialty dining dinner as there isn't much time on embarkation night? Do you have to eat after sail away at 8:30 pm?

Thanks.

We were on Diamond three years ago: week up, week back. We had a suite. Because of the late departure -- I think it was 11pm -- all the specialty restaurants were closed so crew could help with the late drill. We were able to have our specialty dinner the next night.

Edited by momK

Such a problem (heehee). One of the great joys of being in a suite is to have room (MDR) service. I am sure your first night complimentary dinner can be arranged for another night. In the meantime, Have your Prime Rib dinner in your suite and avoid all of those crazies trying to do open seating.

BTW...you chose the best combination. Enjoy the land tour first and then savor every moment in your suite on the way back down. Will be thinking of you the entire time.

Bon Voyage and happy travels.

Such a problem (heehee). One of the great joys of being in a suite is to have room (MDR) service. I am sure your first night complimentary dinner can be arranged for another night. In the meantime, Have your Prime Rib dinner in your suite and avoid all of those crazies trying to do open seating.

BTW...you chose the best combination. Enjoy the land tour first and then savor every moment in your suite on the way back down. Will be thinking of you the entire time.

Bon Voyage and happy travels.

I looked on Princess at the suite perks. Looks like with the club class being started and their "special" dining area it is for breakfast, lunch (while at sea), and dinner. No more Sabatini's :(

I bet for us the 2nd night is formal night. Generally I like the MDR selections.

I see you did a b2b2b in Alaska on the Coral. Did you do a land tour with it?

I don't doubt you will be thinking of us while on this cruise. After all we will be in "our" cabin! I wish window suites were on more ships.

Anybody else out there do a land cruise first and then sail in a suite? How did they handle the complimentary specialty dinner?

Anyone who has traveled to Alaska in a suite who did a cruise tour first and then a southbound cruise? Embarkation for those folks is after about 6:30 pm and then there is the muster drill. When do you use the complimentary specialty dining dinner as there isn't much time on embarkation night? Do you have to eat after sail away at 8:30 pm?

Thanks.

What you described is exactly how it was when we did a land tour then southbound cruise in a suite last summer except for the fact that we were the first group to board in the early afternoon. Our bus pulled right up to the door and there was no one in line to check in. If I recall correctly, our time in the tunnel just before the port was scheduled for 12:15PM so we were at the port shortly after that. We checked in and went right on board. It's just that the final time for everyone to be onboard is 6:30PM.

Because of the late sailing time, the specialty restaurants didn't open until after muster drill of course so we ended up having our embarkation night free dinner perk around 8:30-8:45PM.

ETA: We did a connoisseur tour so I don't know if that made any difference when it came to our easy check in.

Edited by RRFPresident

What you described is exactly how it was when we did a land tour then southbound cruise in a suite last summer except for the fact that we were the first group to board in the early afternoon. Our bus pulled right up to the door and there was no one in line to check in. If I recall correctly, our time in the tunnel just before the port was scheduled for 12:15PM so we were at the port shortly after that. We checked in and went right on board. It's just that the final time for everyone to be onboard is 6:30PM.

Because of the late sailing time, the specialty restaurants didn't open until after muster drill of course so we ended up having our embarkation night free dinner perk around 8:30-8:45PM.

ETA: We did a connoisseur tour so I don't know if that made any difference when it came to our easy check in.

We'll be coming on the train from McKinley. Do you know if you HAD to use that complimentary dinner that night? I'm hoping that when the time comes we can use it any time during the week but I realize that is wishful thinking ;)

We'll be coming on the train from McKinley. Do you know if you HAD to use that complimentary dinner that night? I'm hoping that when the time comes we can use it any time during the week but I realize that is wishful thinking ;)

We have never been refused a request to postpone to the following evening or the second evening.....again, just ask.

Whom do you ask? The Dine line the first evening or just show up at the Crown Grill?

You can check with the Asst. Maitre d' or Manager in charge of the Crown Grill in person if it is convenient, or call the DINE line. On a cruise with such a late start for evening dining in the specialty restaurants, the DINE line staff should say "yes" pretty easily, the Manager in either of the specialty restaurants (especially if you show up at the one of your choice for dining later in the cruise) will definitely give you a yes.

(And if there is any little problem whatsoever, just say a little word to the Manager in charge of the suite breakfast venue - whether it be Crown Grill or Sabatini's, and all will be made well. )

I guess I never really thought too much about the "how" of going about it - we've been lucky to see very familiar faces on board, and in the course of saying hello, all has been handled so smoothly. But I do know that on turnaround days up in Whittier it means a very late start and we have never had an issue postponing to another evening. As a suite passenger, they will be happy honor your reasonable request. Enjoy, enjoy.