drinks package - to book before or onboard?

Looking for any insight into when its best to book the drinks package. I leave this week - Sat 25th June on the Discovery. The price is currently 800 for two for two weeks. Is it likely to increase onboard?

Thanks very much

Sounds a lot either way. 8 drinks a day at an average of £3.50 a drink costs £780 for two weeks. If you are going to have more than 8 a day then at £800 you are in pocket. Worth doing the sums before splashing out! But in answer to your question, I agree with PC.

Im just about willing to pay it as it stands but don't want to pay anymore. I was just told on the phone that they will allow just one of us to book the package which may suit better as I won't drink as much. To do that we need to wait until we're onboard though. Do you know if thats correct? Just seems odd that you can't book for one in advance.

Thanks!

Normally everyone on the booking has to pay I would imagine that quoted amount is for two and I'm sorry 'shot2bits' this might be controversial, but everyone is different and we should not judge in the good old days they used to put how much you had saved on the bill and for us, if we had paid the full amount we would have broke even but it just gives you the freedom of knowing how much your costs are going to be.;) but we always book early and get it free or reduced.:)

So I called Thomson again and they're now quoting 726 so 363 each per week/just under 26 per day. I think I'll just book it, its definitley worth it for one of us and if I have two cocktails, three glasses of wine and 2/3 soft drinks it will come to 28.

Im just about willing to pay it as it stands but don't want to pay anymore. I was just told on the phone that they will allow just one of us to book the package which may suit better as I won't drink as much. To do that we need to wait until we're onboard though. Do you know if thats correct? Just seems odd that you can't book for one in advance.

Thanks!

That's not, or ever has been, Thomsons normal policy in my experience - they usually insist that both customers are on the drinks package.

I would seek a second opinion on that beforehand.

Another point to note - a significant number of drinks on the bar list involve a supplement for those on the prepaid drinks deal, including several of the cocktails.

This subject comes up time and again on this (and other) forums and splits opinions which tend to become polarised.

My own view, based on personal experience and casual observation is that the normal price drinks package is not a good deal - and it encourages people (myself included) to drink more than we should "to get their money's worth" on the cruise.

Other opinions will differ of course - in my case it's certainly not one of "let him without sin cast the first stone".

It would be interesting to hear what our local GP would have to say if we told him/her we were planning to swally this amount of alcohol each day x 14. :eek:

Edited by WeeCountyMan
punctuation

Hell, you're on a cruise! If the sums work then do it. We all drink more, even if it is only ' on principle' I personally wouldn't pay, book early enough to get it free if possible. We are off on the 23rd of next month and have the free drinks upgrade, unfortunately, Mrs shot2bits can't drink alcahol anymore so I'm glad we didn't buy it. Whatever happens, chill and enjoy the cruise, it's not a drinking contest so just do your own thing!

So I called Thomson again and they're now quoting 726 so 363 each per week/just under 26 per day. I think I'll just book it, its definitley worth it for one of us and if I have two cocktails, three glasses of wine and 2/3 soft drinks it will come to 28.

Yes,go for it! Throw in a couple of coffees and you are well in!

Point to make out is, how many days are you ashore and are you going ashore on those days or staying onboard.

If you are exploring new ports and having fun ashore, then you are not drinking your "allowance" to break even or make a profit. 4 drinks a day each, doesn't sound much. 1 at dinner, 1 pre show, 1 at show, 1 after show before bed.

I also like to try new drinks and if you pick one and it's not nice, then get something else. If you have paid for that drink (not on a package), then you will be inclined to drink it to get your moneys worth and that is not what your cruise is about.

There is always 3 offers,

book really early and get the AI free

book early but not that early or a sale is on and get it for £10 a day

or leave it to the last minute and pay full price at £26-28 a day.

Haha indeed, I'm really not worried about my alcohol consumption on a two week holiday when for the last 10 years (since I was 22) I've had at the very most ten drinks a year. I've only started to have the odd drink again since Aug last year and that's been around 4 glasses of wine/cocktails per weekend. To be fair even if I have three drinks and a few soft drinks that would be £21 - not far off the package price.

I checked twice tonight now and both Thomson employees have said you can book for one on the cruise which is at odds with their stated policy online and the feedback on the forum. I may call again tomorrow and get this sent to me in an email!

They've also said we could book for our first week onboard then decide if we wanted to add the drinks package for week 2 on day 8 but if we book prior to departure we need to book for the full two weeks. It's all a bit fraustrating.

Edited by spoon84