First time cruise, bringing 20 month old

superSCgirl

Hi! I am going on my first cruise on The Elation in less than 2 weeks. I am freaking out because I just read kids aren't allowed in the pool unless they are potty trained. What did you do with your child on the days when you were on the boat? Also, can someone give me some general advice on traveling with a young toddler? She's too young for the kids camp.

Haven't been yet but taking my 14 month old in January. But he has traveled a lot. There will be a lot of activities during the day and things to see. Trivia, ice carving demonstration, possibly dr Seuss brunch and a story time, movie on the lido deck in the evenings. If you have a smaller umbrella type stroller you might want to bring that rather the a full size one (ships can be tight in areas and crowds at times).

Try and keep the normal nap/eating/bedtime routine as much as you can. My son does not sleep well when sharing a room with us so we will use a white noise app on our phone and the ceiling is magnetic so I am getting magnetic hooks and a shower curtain to hang up around his pack n play so hopefully he will not be able to see us and sleep better. We will also take turns in the evening sometimes so I can catch an earlier show maybe then go to bed while my DH goes to a later show since he can usually stay awake later then me. There might also be some babysitting (might just be late at night) for a charge in the kids club area.

Baby items are hard to find if at all (even Tylenol, wipes, diapers,p) so bring everything you might need. Even some prepackaged snacks for while in port and waiting to embark on the ship might be a good idea.

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting about, so ask away!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DD was 18 mo when she went on her first cruise last winter. Not on Carnival, so there were some things that she enjoyed that aren't on Elation. However, I think her favorite thing to do was sit on the balcony and watch the water. We brought some window clings for her to play with on the inside of the balcony door. She loved that.

She loved the port days, playing in the sand especially. We brought a blow up floatie/small raft that we pushed her around the ocean in.

Onboard, she also enjoyed ice cream, wandering around looking at stuff, meeting people. Listening to bands and watching people dance/dancing ourselves was great fun. There was also always some area of the ship that wasn't busy where she could explore and play a little out of the way of the crowds. We brought a variety of small toys and things to play with. Our DD also really enjoyed the shows, although she tended to fall asleep after a bit.

We're scheduled on Carnival this winter, and I'm looking forward to Seuss at Sea.

BTW, I'm pretty sure there are a few hours a day when Camp Carnival is open for under-2 year olds and their parents for free playtime. I have that in my notes from when I researched before our last cruise.

You might go over to the family board. There are lots of great tips there and trip reports about cruising with little ones.

Honestly, the pools on cruise ships are so small and often so packed that they may not be a good time for a toddler and parent even if they were allowed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by wampuscat7

You might go over to the family board. There are lots of great tips there and trip reports about cruising with little ones.

Honestly, the pools on cruise ships are so small and often so packed that they may not be a good time for a toddler and parent even if they were allowed in.

Agree. My DD had some concerns like yours before and got a lot of tips from the Family Cruises Forum on Special Interest Cruising.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Edited by easyboy

Hi! I am going on my first cruise on The Elation in less than 2 weeks. I am freaking out because I just read kids aren't allowed in the pool unless they are potty trained. What did you do with your child on the days when you were on the boat? Also, can someone give me some general advice on traveling with a young toddler? She's too young for the kids camp.

If you waited 4 more months to book you would have been ok because she could have gone to kids camp. You just have to prepare to walk around with her. Take her to the gameroom. Maybe she is too young for games but she will enjoy the colors and sounds. walk around the promenade. Young kids like her will just be attracted by anything with multiple colors and flashing lights.

Remember to get a crib from your room steward.

One of the best things about traveling with a toddler is seeing the cruise experience through the child's eye. Things that are old hat to you will be fascinating to the child and their delight in the newness will make you look at things differently.

It might be the water rushing by the ship or, as in my case when my DD was 18 months old, a glittering stage curtain in one of the lounges. We visited that curtain several times a day. :)

Thank you for the wonderful tips! I thought of something else this morning. How do you handle transportation on the off boat excursions? In other words, do we need to bring a car seat for cab rides?

That's pretty much up to you and what you're comfortable with. You won't find carseats in cabs. One other option is to take a bus. What excursions are you doing?

I forgot to mention that Elation, like many Carnival ships, has a lot of odd statues and decorations all over the ship to look at, and glass elevators in the very tall atrium, which some kids love and some are afraid of.

Believe it or not, kids could care less if they go in the pool or not. They like to play. We have great memories of bringing the kids on the ship starting in their early years. The pool was never a part of it. In fact, we avoided the pool for years ourselves.

Believe it or not, kids could care less if they go in the pool or not. They like to play. We have great memories of bringing the kids on the ship starting in their early years. The pool was never a part of it. In fact, we avoided the pool for years ourselves.

Yes, pools on cruise ships are not really a big deal. My kids could take them or leave them. They're tiny, crowded, and usually chilly, and there are plenty of other things to do. The Elation is not a ship with a waterpark area, so your toddler really won't be missing out. When my DD was six, her favorite experience on Elation was dancing on the Lido stage with a bunch of other kids.

That's pretty much up to you and what you're comfortable with. You won't find carseats in cabs. One other option is to take a bus. What excursions are you doing?

I forgot to mention that Elation, like many Carnival ships, has a lot of odd statues and decorations all over the ship to look at, and glass elevators in the very tall atrium, which some kids love and some are afraid of.

You won't find seatbelts in many either ,, also remember when the baby cries ,your neighbor's on either side of your cabin hear's them to , No insulation in the walls ,

This would come as a surprise to anyone new to cruising, just like the surprise that there has to be a bed in the cabin to accommodate an infant because they "count" - unlike in a hotel. It makes sense that ship's pools would have different regulations since most are not filled with chemicals like pools on land, but this wouldn't be known to a non cruiser.

It's not the difference in chemicals, since both shoreside and shipboard pools use chlorine to disinfect the pools. The difference is that the CDC, the world's pre-eminent experts on contagious diseases, through their division the USPH, have jurisdiction over the pools. Shoreside pools are regulated by state or local health codes, which are almost always less stringent in all areas, let alone pools. CDC has done a study of municipal pools around the US, and if I remember right, 85% of them would be closed if under USPH/CDC jurisdiction.

We took our 10 month old on Triumph in September. Here is my advice. Do not try to do everything offered on the ship, don't feel disappointed when you miss a certain show or activity. Hopefully, you will love cruising and can save some activities for your next cruise. Make friends with members of the crew who love kids. Your kids will enjoy interacting with them and the crew will enjoy talking with your child.

One other thing no matter me mentioned, the kids club will have times where you can go with your child and play. Our daughter had a ball in there playing with the toys, and we enjoyed talking to the workers in there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DS is potty trained, but I'm hoping he doesn't want to go in the pool on our cruise - they kinda gross me out for some reason.

I'm also hoping he is ok with using the kid's club, he's in pre-k, so used to being in that environment, but it takes him awhile to acclimate to new things sometimes.

That said, I'm sure there's plenty to keep your little one entertained w/out the kid's club or pool, there have been some great suggestions thus far. We took DS away at that age, and he seriously was entertained the most by just going up to people and saying hello to them, and just roaming around and exploring.

I just wanted to add that you should be sure to pack some dish soap and a sponge to clean cups, or get a bunch of the take and toss ones. Also, more diapers (and wipes, cream, etc) than you think you may need, getting them on the ship will be expensive and possibly not even available (at least in the size/brand you use).

As far as transportation in the ports, I would not rely on cabs, as someone said, even if you brought your own car seat, the laws aren't the same, and they may not even have seat belts to secure the car seat. You should look into excursions that have bus transportation, or that you can walk to from the port.

Also - be sure to contact the maitre'd ahead of time (either by email or when you board) to request a highchair or booster, if you haven't already.

Hope you have a great trip!

The pools are not really anything to worry about anyway, they are tiny and crowded. We avoided walking through the area as much as possible before our DD was potty trained. The kids club should have some time each day for under 2s. When we went it was in the morning for an hour or 2 on sea days. You could drop off for a fee or just stay and play with your little one. They have lots of toys and a big area for running around- playing. And they have night owls after 10, which has a fee. You can drop off the under twos at that time as well- assuming you are still awake (we rarely were). We packed some small toys with us as well. We spent more time in the room, but we did go to dinner in the MDR every night (anytime dining is a must).

On port days we went to the beach or something similar and low key.

It was a much more relaxing vacation than most of my cruises. We saw some of the shows, but sometimes left during them. Cruising is (IMO) the best way to vacation with a toddler or preschool aged child.

What ports are you going to? Do you have excursions you are interested in?

Also, what port are you leaving from and how are you getting there? If you use a cab in Florida, you'll need a car seat. We bought a super lightweight car seat from Walmart specifically for travel. (Cosco Scenera NEXT, if you're interested. I saw it recommended in several travel articles and blogs. It fits in the bottom of the closet in the cabin, so it really doesn't take up a lot of usable space or anything.)

Depending on the ports, there may be things you can do without transportation or in a vehicle that doesn't require a car seat. There ARE cabs with seatbelts in some ports. Our cab in Cozumel had them, for instance. I'm no expert, but I've done a lot of research. You'll get some people who say "don't worry about it" and some people who say "physics doesn't change just because you're on vacation." There have been a lot of debates here about car seats.

It won't let me edit my previous post, so sorry for the extra post.

I realized that you said Elation in your first post, so you're probably going to Nassau? Maybe Freeport or Half Moon Cay? Half Moon Cay is a private island beach day, so no car seat needed there. I've only been to Nassau once on a cruise ship. We took the water ferry on our own to Atlantis and walked around. No car seat needed for that, because we walked to the ferry dock. This was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still an option, but it was a nice day. You can also walk around the downtown area from the ship, but I can't recall what other excursions, cabs, etc. there are. I've never been to Freeport, so can't help there.

Edited by wampuscat7

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. I've chosen to take the high road and not respond to the ONE negative post 😉. Everyone has been so helpful and has made me feel so much better about traveling with my baby!

We are going to Freeport and Nassau. Going to do a day pass at Lucaya on Freeport and we got a room at Comfort Suites in Nassau so we can enjoy Atlantis and I'll have somewhere to take baby if we need to rest. My 3 stepsons will be with us (11,9,& 7) so I know they are going to love it there! The car seat issue there was my final concern.

Ship's pools do NOT have the water flow and sanitation of land-based pools. That's why they don't allow "swimmies"....those swim diapers might hold in solids, but the pool water flows THROUGH the "solids"...and contaminates the water. Urine is not a problem...but fecal matter and it's bacteria IS....that's why they don't allow diapered folks in the pools.

Bring a blow up tub for splashing, if you must. Empty it into a floor or shower drain.

Ship's pools do NOT have the water flow and sanitation of land-based pools. That's why they don't allow "swimmies"....those swim diapers might hold in solids, but the pool water flows THROUGH the "solids"...and contaminates the water. Urine is not a problem...but fecal matter and it's bacteria IS....that's why they don't allow diapered folks in the pools.

Bring a blow up tub for splashing, if you must. Empty it into a floor or shower drain.

Once again, cb, you post wrong "facts". Ship's pools have better turn over and sanitation than shore side pools.

I know you won't be back to a site of one of your drive by posts, but for others who may think you know what you're talking about, here are two reports from the CDC about the "great" sanitation of shore municipal pools:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp_ZXNgOHQAhUO7GMKHZRWBM0QFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fmedia%2Freleases%2F2016%2Fp0519-public-pools.html&usg=AFQjCNE1UJlJ3pIlJT6EU8KCxAROcMdpUg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp_ZXNgOHQAhUO7GMKHZRWBM0QFggsMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fmedia%2Freleases%2F2013%2Fp0516-pool-contamination.html&usg=AFQjCNEk0wGkNePEcTB6t-F1qAvbE8o6ug

In one report, 58% of samples from shore pools showed e. coli. The other report shows that 80% of shore pools had a violation, 12% were serious enough to warrant immediate closure, and 20% of kiddie pools were serious enough violations to warrant immediate closure. How's that for "great" sanitation?

Cruise ships are the only family-friendly environment I've seen where babies in swim diapers are not allowed in the pools. I'm sure there may be other exceptions, but the vast majority of water parks, public pools, and hotel pools throughout the country allow swim diapers and are filled with babies and toddlers in swim diapers. There are reasons for the more stringent rules on cruise ships, and you can argue your own views about swim diaper sanitation, but the fact remains that many parents are surprised by the cruise ship rule because of their experiences pretty much everywhere else, from the Great Wolf Lodge water park resorts to their local YMCA pool. Seriously, cut the OP some slack for being surprised.

While kids in swim diapers may be allowed in kiddie pools at those locations, I don't think they are allowed in the adult pools in swim diapers. I travel quite frequently at timeshares and I know that they are not allowed in the adult pools unless they are potty trained.

Once again, cb, you post wrong "facts". Ship's pools have better turn over and sanitation than shore side pools.

I know you won't be back to a site of one of your drive by posts, but for others who may think you know what you're talking about, here are two reports from the CDC about the "great" sanitation of shore municipal pools:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp_ZXNgOHQAhUO7GMKHZRWBM0QFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fmedia%2Freleases%2F2016%2Fp0519-public-pools.html&usg=AFQjCNE1UJlJ3pIlJT6EU8KCxAROcMdpUg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp_ZXNgOHQAhUO7GMKHZRWBM0QFggsMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fmedia%2Freleases%2F2013%2Fp0516-pool-contamination.html&usg=AFQjCNEk0wGkNePEcTB6t-F1qAvbE8o6ug

In one report, 58% of samples from shore pools showed e. coli. The other report shows that 80% of shore pools had a violation, 12% were serious enough to warrant immediate closure, and 20% of kiddie pools were serious enough violations to warrant immediate closure. How's that for "great" sanitation?

You are very much correct on this. The ship's sanitation in the poor far exceed land's public pools.

Too many people here are misinterpreting the OPs post. She did not say she was going to put the toddler in the pool. Her questions was just asking us what we did with our kids while we are on the ship because she heard that they are not allowed in the pools unless potty trained. She just need some advise on activities. Don't bash her.

I have been traveling with my child since he was 9 months old and now at 6 y/o he has been on around 15 cruises. I can honestly say the cruise we took with him on when he was 16 months old was the most miserable experience, for all involved. I vowed to not cruise with him again until he was potty trained and old enough for the kid's club (it was that bad). Now this may depend on the personality of my child, but he really did not do well on that cruise as a toddler- all he wanted to do was run around and get into things and he did terrible at meal times. We just stuck to the buffet because the longer dining experience in the MDR was painful and we did not want to disturb other diners with his whining. Going with a non-mobile baby was a breeze-we just put him either in the Ergo or stroller and he slept fine in the crib.

On that particular cruise, we had a balcony room and used it with the blow up tub for him to splash around in. We let him run around in the empty lounges during the day. Camp Carnival has a few hours each day you can either pay for babysitting or use the club to play with your child. We kept to his schedule as much as possible, which is why we had the balcony to utilize once he was sleeping. If I could go back in time, I would not have taken that cruise with him as a toddler-it was not a fun experience. Again, this may be because of his temperament/personality.

Regarding the swim diapers and non-potty trained kids in pools...I really feel Carnival (and all cruise lines) should have a big disclaimer when booking- I think people just don't know the rules about no swim diapers/babies in pools and then choose to ignore the rules once on board and they figure it out. We cruised on the Magic this past August and the entire waterworks was shut down because a baby pooped in there. I witnessed countless babies and toddlers in swim diapers in the pools, waterworks and hot tubs on that cruise, as well as angry parents berating staff members who were reminding them of the rules. It was disgusting and disgraceful!

Regarding the swim diapers and non-potty trained kids in pools...I really feel Carnival (and all cruise lines) should have a big disclaimer when booking- I think people just don't know the rules about no swim diapers/babies in pools and then choose to ignore the rules once on board and they figure it out. We cruised on the Magic this past August and the entire waterworks was shut down because a baby pooped in there. I witnessed countless babies and toddlers in swim diapers in the pools, waterworks and hot tubs on that cruise, as well as angry parents berating staff members who were reminding them of the rules. It was disgusting and disgraceful!

I agree that it would be better if there was a way to get the word out to parents. I understand why Carnival doesn't want a notice posted on webpages advertising cruise amenities, and the info is there if you look for it, but maybe send a friendly email to guests who have booked an under-three on a cruise, since bookings require birthdates. I can imagine that the rule is an unpleasant surprise for some guests, especially on a ship with waterworks and small slides like Magic. When we sailed on the Magic, there was a baby in a diaper in the hot tub with us. Those kinds of things don't personally bother me, but I don't have a compromised immune system and swim in lake water. I understand why people object -- especially if there's an accident that shuts down waterworks for everyone! Just let parents know ahead of time, so they can be prepared and are less likely to get upset onboard.