Cucina del Capitano

JaniceB

I had Nona's meatballs for appetizer and the Chicken Parmigiana. It was just fine. If you go in expecting to get authentic Italian like you can get in the big cities, you will likely be disappointed. I would say it was very comparable to Caraba's, a decent chain Italian place we have around here but for less money.

Edited by ryano

I had the fried risotto balls (Il Capitano's Arancini) and the New York sirloin (Bistecca Alla Griclia) and they were both very good. As a matter of fact, I thought the sirloin was much better than that served in the Steakhouse.

I didn't care for it at all. Neither did my husband. Maybe we were spoiled by the Italian food we had in New York before we boarded the ship.

Right now I can't even remember what I had, it was that unmemorable.

**Edit** I do remember the fried risotto balls. The waitress brought them out in addition to our appetizers. FANTASTIC. I should have just ordered those over and over and over again.

Thanks for letting me know about the fried risotto balls and sorry your food wasn't memorable.

I had Nona's meatballs for appetizer and the Chicken Parmigiana. It was just fine. If you go in expecting to get authentic Italian like you can get in the big cities, you will likely be disappointed. I would say it was very comparable to Caraba's, a decent chain Italian place we have around here but for less money.

Probably a very good comparison. Thank you.

I had Nonna's meatballs on Magic and didn't care for them. Didn't like the linguini w/meat sauce or the fettuccini. A wait staff tried to give me someone's else's leftovers in a box saying "here's your spaghetti". Told her it wasn't mine and how would it be reheated in any case. She replied "oh, yeah."

Have had nonna meatballs as samples and like them a lot so would think they would be at least one of the best.

Also from NYC and dont think Italian food produced by non Italians would be as good as we are used to so didnt see a reason to pay extra for it.

We are going here the first night since we are sailing out of Galveston and our cheers package doesn't start until the next day. We thought since we got a bottle of wine with dinner it might be a good option and we have 2 10 year olds traveling with our group.

I had the fried risotto balls (Il Capitano's Arancini) and the New York sirloin (Bistecca Alla Griclia) and they were both very good. As a matter of fact' date=' I thought the sirloin was much better than that served in the Steakhouse.[/quote']

I was wondering about the steak, thank you for letting me know that it was good.

I had Nonna's meatballs on Magic and didn't care for them. Didn't like the linguini w/meat sauce or the fettuccini. A wait staff tried to give me someone's else's leftovers in a box saying "here's your spaghetti". Told her it wasn't mine and how would it be reheated in any case. She replied "oh, yeah."

That is weird that they tried to give you someone's left overs and it isn't like pizza where people sometimes eat it cold.

Concur with the Arancini being VERY good.

Steak was excellent (wife had it). My Chicken Parm was also very good.

I usually get the arancini for app and the steak for dinner and it is very good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like I need to try the Arancini and the steak. Thanks!

We are going here the first night since we are sailing out of Galveston and our cheers package doesn't start until the next day. We thought since we got a bottle of wine with dinner it might be a good option and we have 2 10 year olds traveling with our group.

I was wondering about the steak, thank you for letting me know that it was good.

I thought the free bottle of wine was only in the Steakhouse?

I was on the Magic last week and went to Cucina the first night. We were told the free bottle of wine promotion ended the week before. :mad:

We usually order the Chicken Parm and the Spaghetti Carbonara the first night and share. I have found the Chicken Parm is good the first night but not late in the cruise on both the Magic and Sunshine. It is like the Chicken is old or something.

The Arancini is tasty, kind of like fried Mozzarella with rice.

I didn't care for the Brasato (short ribs), I found it dry and stringy.

My husband likes the shrimp but be aware it is a small portion.

I haven't tried the steak so thanks to all for the tip.

rasato

al

b

arolo

I thought the free bottle of wine was only in the Steakhouse?

I thought it was both.

I was on the Magic last week and went to Cucina the first night. We were told the free bottle of wine promotion ended the week before. :mad:

We usually order the Chicken Parm and the Spaghetti Carbonara the first night and share. I have found the Chicken Parm is good the first night but not late in the cruise on both the Magic and Sunshine. It is like the Chicken is old or something.

The Arancini is tasty, kind of like fried Mozzarella with rice.

I didn't care for the Brasato (short ribs), I found it dry and stringy.

My husband likes the shrimp but be aware it is a small portion.

I haven't tried the steak so thanks to all for the tip.

rasato

al

b

arolo

I hope it didn't end. We are on the Breeze. Thanks for replying with your favorites.

My best selection wasn't an entree, it was the antipasto appetizer. Good proscuitto, a favorite of mine.

I had the chicken parm, a very large overcooked breaded something, with a sweet, almost cloying sauce on the Magic . Worse than Olive Garden. Went again for lunch fare on the Vista, had meat lasagna, was awful.

If Cucina relocated to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, it would be out of business within a few weeks.

Edited by evandbob

If Cucina relocated to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, it would be out of business within a few weeks.

In all honesty, that could be said about all cruise food on mass market lines :cool: Any given steakhouse on any given Carnival ship likely wouldnt make it over a week in a place like Texas or Oklahoma either and this coming from one who absolutely LOVED his Carnival Magic steakhouse meal and experience. Im all about keeping expectations real though.

People that go in to these places expecting authentic food they would find in big cites like NYC or Chicago simply have their expectations WAY too high and are sure to be let down with disappointment. If I only ate things on a cruise ship that I couldnt find better on land, I would starve to death.

I thought the chicken parm was fine on Magic this past May. Certainly MUCH better than the same I had at OG just a few weeks ago and also cheaper. Maybe Im just too easily pleased.

Edited by ryano

In all honesty, that could be said about all cruise food on mass market lines :cool: Any given steakhouse on any given Carnival ship likely wouldnt make it over a week in a place like Texas or Oklahoma either and this coming from one who absolutely LOVED his Carnival Magic steakhouse meal and experience. Im all about keeping expectations real though.

People that go in to these places expecting authentic food they would find in big cites like NYC or Chicago simply have their expectations WAY too high and are sure to be let down with disappointment. If I only ate things on a cruise ship that I couldnt find better on land, I would starve to death.

I thought the chicken parm was fine on Magic this past May. Certainly MUCH better than the same I had at OG just a few weeks ago and also cheaper. Maybe Im just too easily pleased.

See your point but if so why should anyone pay more for specialty restaurants when you can get a pretty good meal in the DR at no extra cost.

See your point but if so why should anyone pay more for specialty restaurants when you can get a pretty good meal in the DR at no extra cost.

I certainly see and understand your point as well. We went because we didnt want to go to Lido that night and nothing on the MDR menu really caught our attention. Im glad we had a good experience in CdC. My food was pretty good!

So I am not Italian, but a ton of them settled where I live in Upstate NY and we have a lot of really great mom and pop Italian places. Also we have Italian friends and family that I am lucky enough to have them feed me. Cucina is no where as good. However, we often eat at chain "Italian" restaurants when traveling (sister was a vegetarian for 10 years, you have a pretty good chance of finding something vegetarian at a Italian restaurant). I found the food at Cucina to be better than Olive Garden, and comparable in a lot of ways to Macaroni Grill or Carrabas etc.

We went twice on our cruise on the magic. First night we shared the Arancini, my sister liked it I thought it was just okay. We both liked the bread board they brought us. Caitlin had the chicken parmigiana, which she said was pretty good. I had the short ribs and I really liked them, and loved the mushy peas that came with them. I got the potatoes with my dish and they were pretty yummy. I was motion sick and didn't have the dessert, my sister had the cannoli and she said it wasn't good.

We went again the last night. My sister started with the Arancini again, I had Nonna's meatballs and didn't like them. For mains she had the carbonara, which she said was much better than the dining room's no where near my stepmom's. I can't remember the name of what I had that night-it was the dish the is different on each ship. It was a really delicious ragu. We didn't really eat our sides that night. I got the lemon sorbet and I loved it and my sister thought the tiramisu was very appealing to the eye and the stomach.

Overall I thought it was worth the upgrade (but to be candid we only paid the last night's up charge the first was a comp). I thought the appetizers were same or not much better than dining room but main course and desserts were really quite good and much better than the dining room.