Tipping question

Turqoisblu

Hello. I'm going on a four day cruise on the Liberty. We have a ocean suite. How much do you think I need to have for tipping? Also do they automatically take it from my sail and sign card or do I need cash? Who all do I have to tip? Thanks in advance.

Bare with me I'm new.

First time cruiser

12/2016

Carnival Liberty

Edited by Turqoisblu

You don't need any cash as your gratuities charged to your Sail and Sign cover the following:

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

Any drinks/beverages you purchase will automatically have a 15% gratuity added. They still have a line for an additonal tip.

Definitely bring a few bucks for your porter.

You will get many varied opinions on tipping, I personally at times give my Steward an extra tip at the end of the cruise. I have seen people do that for MDR, a favorite bar tender or Lido Buffet worker. I know how hard these people work and when I find someone that is above and beyond I give extra.

So cash is not needed but not bad to have around just in case.

Room service and the porters are about the only folks NOT covered by the tips they charge daily to your account. Also, you'll want to tip taxi drivers ashore, if you go that route!

Whether for tips or not, you should always have some cash! You never know what might happen! We bring at least $100 per day...just in case...usually more than that!

Edited by cb at sea

Yep, they take it from your sail and sign account. I take it since your cruise is coming up soon, you didn't prepay the tips. (it might not hurt to check to be sure). If you did not prepay, you will see the tips taken from your onboard account. You can check your account while on the ship, either on the television in your cabin or at the kiosk or guest services.

It is up to you if you want to give anything extra. If you feel you want to, go ahead. If you feel service was just mediocre, don't. Totally up to you. If you want to tip extra to a bartender that serves you alot, go ahead. They won't refuse them.

The only extra people on the ship you should tip will be porters (that's actually before you get on the ship, when you arrive at the port), and the people that bring room service, if you order that. Tip them 2-5 bucks, depending on what you feel it's worth.

On excursions, taxi drivers, tour guides, etc......those of course are all extra too.

Have a great time!

I'm glad I found this thread because my cruise is coming up and I prepaid gratuities but I don't want to look like a jerk to a bartender or waiter if I don't leave a tip. Do they assume you've prepaid if you don't leave anything extra? I expect to tip my steward at the end of the cruise if they do a good job, regardless of pre-paying, and I'll tip the porters, room service, and excursion guides, but it could add up to a lot of money to be double tipping people included in the gratuities.

You don't need any cash as your gratuities charged to your Sail and Sign cover the following:

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

Any drinks/beverages you purchase will automatically have a 15% gratuity added. They still have a line for an additonal tip.

Definitely bring a few bucks for your porter.

You will get many varied opinions on tipping, I personally at times give my Steward an extra tip at the end of the cruise. I have seen people do that for MDR, a favorite bar tender or Lido Buffet worker. I know how hard these people work and when I find someone that is above and beyond I give extra.

So cash is not needed but not bad to have around just in case.

Im glad they finally released this info. This is the first time I have seen the updated breakdown of the $12.95 in gratuities.

In the past, when it was $12.00 the breakdown was...

Stateroom services team $3.90 per day

Dining services team $6.10 per day

Alternative services team $2.00 per day

You might also want to bring some additional cash for making purchases ashore during your ports of call. American dollars are VERY welcome in most overseas ports -- cash is still king -- and you won't be subject to any additional foreign transaction fees when you use your credit card.

It also removes any risk of your credit card being skimmed or otherwise compromised ashore, which has become a major problem overseas...and a growing problem in the States.

I don't think anyone has mentioned WHEN your onboard gratuities will be charged to your Sign and Sail account: you should see it appear late on the first night. They wait until you're confirmed aboard before charging the grats.

Edited by Pellaz

I'm glad I found this thread because my cruise is coming up and I prepaid gratuities but I don't want to look like a jerk to a bartender or waiter if I don't leave a tip. Do they assume you've prepaid if you don't leave anything extra? I expect to tip my steward at the end of the cruise if they do a good job, regardless of pre-paying, and I'll tip the porters, room service, and excursion guides, but it could add up to a lot of money to be double tipping people included in the gratuities.

There is a 15% gratuity auto added to every drink you order, so unless you want to leave extra, the bartenders are covered.

The waiters are also covered in the the auto tips, so it's up to you whether you want to leave extra.

Room service and the porters are about the only folks NOT covered by the tips they charge daily to your account. Also, you'll want to tip taxi drivers ashore, if you go that route!

Whether for tips or not, you should always have some cash! You never know what might happen! We bring at least $100 per day...just in case...usually more than that!

Don't forget to tip excursion guides.

There is a 15% gratuity auto added to every drink you order, so unless you want to leave extra, the bartenders are covered.

Yep, but I've gotten into the habit of putting a little extra on there -- typically fifty cents -- when I get sodas from bartenders under the Bottomless Bubbles program...especially if they're friendly and smile. (Otherwise, it's a non-rev transaction for them.)

With Cheers on my last cruise, I added a dollar for alcoholic drinks.

The bartenders really appreciate it, and seeing them break into a grin is worth every penny. (And they remember you, too...in a good way.)

The waiters are also covered in the the auto tips, so it's up to you whether you want to leave extra.

We hadn't done that on most cruises before, but we've had two superlative dining crews on recent cruises (on Freedom and then on Conquest), and we tipped them in cash the last night. Both cruises were YTD and their service was well-worth it.

That can't be stressed enough. On one snuba excursion I did in Grand Turk, no-one tipped...I think because they just didn't know to do so. I felt so bad for "Big John" and his son that I tipped 'em $20 extra.

I worked for tips for many years myself, so maybe I tend to be a little generous. :)

I hadn't realized we were supposed to tip tour guides on excursions. What amount is good for that? If there are a few tour guides do you just do one set amount or split it up for each of them?

I hadn't realized we were supposed to tip tour guides on excursions. What amount is good for that? If there are a few tour guides do you just do one set amount or split it up for each of them?

Too many variables for one size to fit all. A two hour bus tour like "The Best of St. Thomas" I'd give a couple of bucks. For a two (8 hour) day guided tour of St. Petersburg I gave $50.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Too many variables,for one size to fit all. A two hour tour like "The Best of St. Thomas" I'd give a couple of bucks. For a two (8 hour) day guided tour of St. Petersburg I gave $50.

We are just doing the GC sting ray excursion for 3 1/2 hours. And then the dolphin swim in Coz, which I think is also about 2-3 hours, taking a taxi there.

You missed spa and shore excursions. And we typically give the bartender we've spent the most time with $20-200 on the last day, depending on the length of the cruise and how much time we've spent in the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gratuities will be added in on your bar bill automatically (15%) so you won't be a jerk. There is also a line for an additional gratuity but you can just put a line through that unless you want to tip more than 15%. Extra tips at the end of the cruise to room steward, MDR staff, etc... is not necessary as they are covered under the auto-gratuity but you can if you want.