QM2 Southhampton Excursions

Idsrvths

We are on the QM2 round trip from New York to Southampton and back this Aug/Sept. Since we have never been to the UK we would like to take advantage of the 8hr Southampton layover. Due to mobility issues that prevent much walking/steps, the Cunard excursion by coach to London seems attractive. Does anyone have experience with this excursion or have recommendations on other "get to know England" activities for the layover? Thanks for any help.

There is only so much that can be seen in the brief ship layover. Since mobility is a problem then by all means take a coach tour, although I'm surprised to see that one if offered for London. Usually these Southampton layovers go to Windsor Castle, New Forest, Bath, or Winchester.

We've seen people with mobility issues catching a Southampton taxi for a short trip to Stonehenge (If I remember correctly, the taxi was around GBP 120,--)

For anyone else - there is a public bus in front of the West Quay Mall going to Salisbury. Phantastic ride thru the country and nice little old village.

We took a cab from there to Stonehenge and back which costed us around GBP 35,-- for the tour.

Since Cunard charges for the bus shuttle to the mall, we are talking the beautiful 15 minutes walk to the Mall.

Edited by Yoshikitty

We are on the QM2 round trip from New York to Southampton and back this Aug/Sept. Since we have never been to the UK we would like to take advantage of the 8hr Southampton layover. Due to mobility issues that prevent much walking/steps, the Cunard excursion by coach to London seems attractive. Does anyone have experience with this excursion or have recommendations on other "get to know England" activities for the layover? Thanks for any help.

A simple yet interesting trip would be to take a cab to Southampton Station and then get a train to Winchester which was the original capital of England. It is steeped in history and very close to Southampton. I would advise you not to go to Stonehenge as you cannot get close enough to really see the stones in detail and if you have seen a photo of them you have seen as much as you will see if you go.

Since Cunard charges for the bus shuttle to the mall, we are talking the beautiful 15 minutes walk to the Mall.

Is this new? We did not have to pay for the bus to or from the mall last June during the Southampton day on our westbound TA from Hamburg.

Bob

Since this will be your first trip to the UK, of all the excursions being offered by Cunard on your crossing, I think the London tour would be the most interesting. If you can take short walks and would prefer a more leisurely outing, Salisbury would be worth considering, but Winchester might be even better. It's only 20 minutes by train from Southampton. The city centre is small and picturesque, graced with a magnificent medieval cathedral, historic Winchester College, and the lovely Itchen River. My wife was having difficulty walking when we visited two years ago, but she was able to enjoy Winchester nonetheless.

The trips offered depend on how many sign up. It is not uncommon for an offered shore excursion to be cancelled.

Last year Cunard arranged a mini bus for a small group to go to Beaulieu since there were very few in-transits aboard.

Is this new? We did not have to pay for the bus to or from the mall last June during the Southampton day on our westbound TA from Hamburg.

Bob

It's my understanding that if you are booked on a saver fare you have to pay for the shuttle. For other fare categories the shuttle is free.

It's my understanding that if you are booked on a saver fare you have to pay for the shuttle. For other fare categories the shuttle is free.
I don't remember anyone having to pay or show anything other than their ship identification card when they entered the shuttle bus. There were no tickets or anything like that.

Bob

On P&O - and I think this is the same for Cunard - cruise cards are scanned and charged against your account if a charge is applicable. But it is not likely to be much!

Edited by Scriv

On P&O - and I think this is the same for Cunard - cruise cards are scanned and charged against your account if a charge is applicable. But it is not likely to be much!

Our cards were scanned on the shuttle and our folio didn't show a charge but people at our dining table said that they had a small charge and they had booked a saver fare.

A simple yet interesting trip would be to take a cab to Southampton Station and then get a train to Winchester which was the original capital of England. It is steeped in history and very close to Southampton. I would advise you not to go to Stonehenge as you cannot get close enough to really see the stones in detail and if you have seen a photo of them you have seen as much as you will see if you go.

I have to agree here. Winchester is a beautiful city, and if you are interested in literature, Jane Austin was interred in the cathedral.

I live very close to Stonehenge, and if you have mobility problems, this is not the place to be especially on a wet day! I think this is one of the most overrated tourist attractions in the UK! Many will disagree, but hey ho....everyone to their own.

A word of warning about Winchester though if you have mobility problems.

The walk back up to the station is quite steep for one thing. Also our pavements are not the best - very uneven in places - and if the High Street is full of market stalls and it is a busy day, it is not easy to negotiate.

It depends on what your mobility issues are of course, but as a resident of Winchester I feel I should point it out.

If you are interested in Naval history, you can get a train from Southampton to Portsmouth Harbour and the Historic Dockyard in about 45 minutes. See Henry VIIIs Mary Rose, Nelsons Victory, HMS Warrior plus displays and museums -

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

You could even do a harbour cruise if you miss being off the sea for 8 hours :)

As we were worried about the train strike we will be in Southampton for 2full days staying at premier inn city central. Would welcome any suggestions for things to do. Thank you cathy

There is the Maritime Museum in Southampton and if the weather is good you can take the ferry over to Hythe. It is less than a 15 minute ride and there is a main street to wander and a pub for lunch.

Osborne House on the Isle of Wight is also another possibility but that is an all-day trip.