Dining on QM2

ls340532

Is there a dining plan that allows flexibility of time and seating on the QM2 in the main dining rooms? We haven't sailed Cunard before, but really prefer a table for 2 for our anniversary cruise. Thank you.

You can definitely request a table for two but the dining times in the Britannia Restaurant are set and not flexible. 6:00 for the main seating and 8:30 for the late seating. There are alternate restaurants that you can book for whatever time you prefer if you want to have a couple of nights at different times. If you were to book a Britannia CLUB stateroom then your dining times are much more flexible; you can arrive when you want.

Edited by Oahucruiser

Britannia Club or the Grills give you the opportunity to dine at a table for two and arrive any time during the meal periods. The other specialty restaurants do take bookings which compose the Kings Court (Breakfast Lunch Buffet) and you have a bit more control, but they book quickly. There is also a section of the Kings Court open at dinner as well. Todd English's restaurant takes reservations, but is extra cost. Enjoy your trip, you will be well fed in any event.

Eat in the alternative dining room the asian is great and the italian is also great, for $ 15,pp I think now, it is WELL worth it the BEST food on the ship. Make sure you book early phone from suite they normally have 2 days running of same theme

MDR Yes you can request a table for 2 and will be alone if that is what you prefer. Through TA

I eat breakfast and lunch in the main dining room alone, will share if I feel like it,

Evenings hubby and I will eat in the buffet area choosing a table far away from the madding crowd and from 7 pm onwards, deal is we cruise and he does not have to eat in the POSH dining room On Victoria in Dec we ate with the captain, well 3 or 4 tables awy, on more than one occasion, as that is where the 2nd best food is 3 best is main diningroom

Wouldn't even dream of eating self service on a cruise after 6pm ! (maybe the alternative in the lido occasionally ) ...don't spend thousands of pounds to serve me self ;)

I'm doing that every evening at home :)

Edited by Bell Boy

Eat in the alternative dining room the asian is great and the italian is also great, for $ 15,pp I think now, it is WELL worth it the BEST food on the ship.

I suspect those in the Grills - especially Queens Grill may disagree with you.

I suspect those in the Grills - especially Queens Grill may disagree with you.

We are new to Cunard and have booked a TA in Princess Grill. Is their food much better than the main dining room? And by main dining room is that the Britannia?

Is there a dining plan that allows flexibility of time and seating on the QM2 in the main dining rooms? We haven't sailed Cunard before, but really prefer a table for 2 for our anniversary cruise. Thank you.

In that case you will need to book early especially if you want a table for 2 in the early sitting as this tends to be more popular. Table Allocation

We are new to Cunard and have booked a TA in Princess Grill. Is their food much better than the main dining room? And by main dining room is that the Britannia?

Yes and yes! There are items on the a la carte menu that are not available in the Britannia restaurant, the Grills have their own galley so food os being cooked for far fewer passengers therefore less sitting around under heat lamps.

Relative quality of food, and of dining experience overall, in the various restaurants of the Cunard fleet is a much debated topic. There seems to be consensus that there is a difference between them, but nobody really agrees on what the difference actually is, and consequently whether it is worth paying a premium for a better grade (keeping in mind though that the finer dining in the Grills comes with finer/larger accommodation and a few perks as well).

Having tried all of it, and being a bit of a foodie, my take is that indeed there is a ranking, as Cunard intended, with the Britannia MDR at the entry level, the Grills above, and the specialty restaurant (Todd English/Verandah) at the top. In terms of sophistication of the food being proposed, and of dining experience overall, I think that the Verandah on the QE offers some of the best dining at sea that money can buy (on the QV, it is possibly one little notch below, on par with Todd English), and therefore that the Grills, while very good, are not as good as they could (and should) be,

I am sure that this is intentional. Cunard is addressing its own passenger demographics properly. The basic Britannia is already really good, considering the sheer magnitude of the logistics involved. The Grills do add to this considerably, with similar menus but with more attention to detail, an extensive a la carte option, and a more attentive and personalised service, and for the discerning diner, the Verandah/Todd English is available, as often as one wants. Possibly the best value for money available on the Cunard fleet might be a Britannia stateroom (say an outside so that one has some daylight), and a few evenings of fine dining in the Verandah restaurant, preferably on the QE.

Because, like most people, I must apply some budgetary constraints on my dining, I find myself satisfied with the generally good food quality and competent service in most cruise ship MDR's (QM2's Britannia being consistently superior), so I prefer to do my high-end dining at restaurants on shore rather than seek (unnessarily) over the top dinners at sea.

Because, like most people, I must apply some budgetary constraints on my dining, I find myself satisfied with the generally good food quality and competent service in most cruise ship MDR's (QM2's Britannia being consistently superior), so I prefer to do my high-end dining at restaurants on shore rather than seek (unnessarily) over the top dinners at sea.

Would have to agree.:D

We recently spent 15 nights on QMII in Britannia Club booking, table for 2. We enjoyed the flexibility of being able to enter the dining room when we were ready. We find the 6:00 seating too early, and the 8:30 a bit too late, so we usually entered Britannia Club around 7:30 or 8:00. We had a table assigned to us for the full cruise and used it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, getting to know the wait staff. Britannia offers an extra page of dinner options, which we used once or twice. BC costs a bit more, but IMHO, it's worth it for the flexibility. We will probably return to BC for our next crossing.

We recently spent 15 nights on QMII in Britannia Club booking, table for 2. We enjoyed the flexibility of being able to enter the dining room when we were ready. We find the 6:00 seating too early, and the 8:30 a bit too late, so we usually entered Britannia Club around 7:30 or 8:00. We had a table assigned to us for the full cruise and used it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, getting to know the wait staff. Britannia offers an extra page of dinner options, which we used once or twice. BC costs a bit more, but IMHO, it's worth it for the flexibility. We will probably return to BC for our next crossing.

I think I may enquire about the Britannia club next time.:D

We plan to cross on the QMII in June, 2016, and I am almost sure that we will book Britannia Club because of the flexible schedule. Also like the fact that we connected with the servers and the fellow diners. It was our own little club.