Balcony cabin QM 2,but covered in glass??

QM2 fan

Hi, a friends daughter has booked a transat on QM2 in July,and she says its near the front of the ship,but the balcony is entirely glassed over. Is that correct? I've never seen a balcony like that,admittedly I've not had a cabin near the front of the ship....

Hi, a friends daughter has booked a transat on QM2 in July,and she says its near the front of the ship,but the balcony is entirely glassed over. Is that correct? I've never seen a balcony like that,admittedly I've not had a cabin near the front of the ship....

No, the balcony may be glass fronted but it only reaches to about 40 inches from the deck. Unless she is talking about an oceanview cabin which has a window and if you squeeze your eyes tight shut you might construe it to be a balcony but you would be in dire need of medical treatment.

Thanks Capn'.... Is that a definitive answer? As I said,I've been on Qm2 3 times,Princess,Queens and Britannia.....I've never seen a balcony entirely closed in either,obstructed and sheltered,yes.But never completely glassed over! She is adamant its a balcony cabin tho.......sounds like ocean view to me,...

Thanks Capn'.... Is that a definitive answer? As I said,I've been on Qm2 3 times,Princess,Queens and Britannia.....I've never seen a balcony entirely closed in either,obstructed and sheltered,yes.But never completely glassed over! She is adamant its a balcony cabin tho.......sounds like ocean view to me,...

It is!

What does a sheltered balcony mean on the Queen Mary? The website says these rooms are 20 sq ft larger than the regular balconies? Are they really?

In a sheltered balcony stateroom the balcony is cut into the hull. There's less light than you would get in a cabin with a glass-fronted balcony, and you can't see the water while you're sitting down. But there's light nonetheless and plenty of sea sir, and because these cabins are sheltered from the elements, many people prefer them, especially on a transatlantic crossing. Cunard offers an explanation and some photos here https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/shaded_azura. There's a photo here as well that may be helpful http://www.beyondships.com/QM2tour5.html. Some of the contributors to this forum have taken better pictures than these and they may be able to answer your question more fully.

Edited by Thaxted

Here is a picture of 1107, a glass-fronted balcony. And of an in-hull or sheltered balcony on deck 4 or 5.

Sheltered balconies can be good on a crossing because you are sheltered from the wind and able to sit out on a cooler day.

790044319_QM2-Caribbean-066.jpg.214fdd7d87e9e54bc81484ed7d0f5ac2.jpg

1894155525_QM2-MemorialDayCruiseMay2008-89.jpg.1b9fa9cb3fa04bf8855bc77a23da7dcd.jpg

Thank you Thaxted and lannp for your quick replies and the photos. I have cruised on a lot of ships but have never come across this before. We often get cabins on the stern which are protected from the wind. We will be taking a Transatlantic in September so the sheltered balcony may come in handy.