Rail Strike off - Liverpool is Go for 175 celebrations.

socim

The unions have postponed their strike called for 24 hours from 5pm on Monday 25th May so it looks like everything is back to normal. Road traffic chaos will no doubt be mega but Mersey Rail have detailed plans in place to handle the crowds anticipated at the main station. Should be a fantastic day. 🎉🎉🎉🎉

It certainly will be , and I'm on my way. However, the latest news is, 'Liverpool Hackney Cabs' have decided to go on strike and are make a protest along the Pier Head on Monday. ( something to do with L/pool council allowing Taxi cabs from over the water to undercut the Black Cab Fares. :confused: .... So Pack your walking shoes ;)

All ready packed. We are staying in the Titanic hotel for the weekend with a few other Cunard fans and so are planning on walking in and out of Liverpool for the two days in question. So close now. Really looking forward to this and then also looking forward to sailing in on the 4th July too.

The Strand (the main road behind the Liver building) will be closed to traffic all day Monday. The viewing areas on the waterfront will be accessible on foot from this area, but you won't be able to move from one area to the next, presumably to try and control the crowds.

There will be First Aid and toilet facilities in each viewing area and an International Food Market on the Strand.

On the Wirral Side there is a Park and Ride at New Brighton in the Dips with room for 6000 cars .The main A554 will be a designated ‘Blue Route’ for the duration of the event from Woodside to Harrison Drive, which means vehicles will be prohibited from stopping or parking on the road that day in order to keep the carriageway clear for emergency vehicles.

And if it all gets too complicated Cunard have a live stream on their site!!

In liverpool and just been to see the cunard light show on the three graces buildings at the pier head, plus fireworks, and a performer strapped into a huge balloon doing aerial acrobatics. All very enjoyable and repeated Sunday and Monday evening from just after 10pm. :)

In liverpool and just been to see the cunard light show on the three graces buildings at the pier head, plus fireworks, and a performer strapped into a huge balloon doing aerial acrobatics. All very enjoyable and repeated Sunday and Monday evening from just after 10pm. :)

Wasn't it amazing? We had dinner in the Cunard building then stepped outside to watch the show. Really great atmosphere in Liverpool last night. Looking forward to the rest of the celebrations.

Wasn't it amazing? We had dinner in the Cunard building then stepped outside to watch the show. Really great atmosphere in Liverpool last night. Looking forward to the rest of the celebrations.

Yes, was good atmosphere, although I was concerned for the young acrobatics lady, as she got a bit too close to the fireworks for my liking!

Pity it was bit gloomy and wet when QM2 arrived today, but forecast is to get better and should be dry tomorrow. We are going down to see her in a bit. :)

Yes, was good atmosphere, although I was concerned for the young acrobatics lady, as she got a bit too close to the fireworks for my liking!

That though occurred to me too, but I was more concerned that there might be a wee scally with a bow and arrow :D:D.

I'm sure it'll brighten up this afternoon.

Great pic Ray66.

On the Wirral Side there is a Park and Ride at New Brighton in the Dips with room for 6000 cars .The main A554 will be a designated ‘Blue Route’ for the duration of the event from Woodside to Harrison Drive, which means vehicles will be prohibited from stopping or parking on the road that day in order to keep the carriageway clear for emergency vehicles.

Thanks for the information. I've found Harrison drive on the map but not sure where Woodside or the Dips are?

Do you think we would be better off getting the park and ride rather than trying to find somewhere to park?

Thanks for the information. I've found Harrison drive on the map but not sure where Woodside or the Dips are?

Do you think we would be better off getting the park and ride rather than trying to find somewhere to park?

Woodside is the Ferry Terminal in Birkenhead. "The Dips" refers to the grassy area on Kings Parade, the promenade west of New Brighton.

I think you'd be better off at the park and ride since Fort Perch car park is to be turned into a viewing point with the consequent loss of many parking spaces. Alternatively take the train to New Brighton. As of yesterday the Wirral Line seemed to be running 6 car rather than 3 car trains thus doubling capacity. Lots of community police officers around to make sure things run smoothly.

Wirral handles the Open Golf traffic very well so I'm hoping things will run smoothly :). Ever the optimist!

There will, methinks, be a lot of traffic so allow plenty of time.