Two adults and a 12 year old in an inside cabin QM2

moggi1964

So we are returning home to the UK in July 2015 and want to save as much as possible on travel costs.

We are 'booked' on QM2 on July 14 2015 and have 'pre-registered' for an inside cabin to save money.

We haven't been on the QM2 before and wanted your thoughts on whether 3 in an inside is going to be too tight especially given we will have a decent amount of luggage (most of our stuff will be on a container ship of course).

We don't plan on spending much time in the cabin as, if our previous experience on Holland america was anything to go by, there is always something to do above decks.

The inside cabins all look the same size as far as I can tell but if you know if any that offer a little extra useable space I would be pleased to hear about them.

Given that we are heading home to stay I think you could house us in the Brig and we wouldn't actually care :)

Thanks.

my wife and i have had inside cabins often and at times it can be cramped. but you learn to adapt. we have not seen them with the overhead bunk down but can only make it seem smaller. like you said you will not be in there most of the time doing things plus you should be there less than 1 week you should survive without much drama.much if not all of your empty luggage will fit under the bed.have a nice trip......i am sure you will....after all its the qm2:)

So we are returning home to the UK in July 2015 and want to save as much as possible on travel costs.

We are 'booked' on QM2 on July 14 2015 and have 'pre-registered' for an inside cabin to save money.

We haven't been on the QM2 before and wanted your thoughts on whether 3 in an inside is going to be too tight especially given we will have a decent amount of luggage (most of our stuff will be on a container ship of course).

We don't plan on spending much time in the cabin as, if our previous experience on Holland america was anything to go by, there is always something to do above decks.

The inside cabins all look the same size as far as I can tell but if you know if any that offer a little extra useable space I would be pleased to hear about them.

Given that we are heading home to stay I think you could house us in the Brig and we wouldn't actually care :)

Thanks.

Moggie, congrats & best wishes on your exciting return home.

Here are the categories of inside cabins:

Standard Inside

Midships High Decks 10,11,12 Cat IA

Midships Low Decks 4,5,6 Cat IB

Forward High Decks 9,10,11,12 Cat IC

Forward/Aft Low Decks 4,5,6 Cat Id

May I suggest that if any of you are subject to sea sickness, you would be better off in a mid-ships cabin on a lower deck.

If sea sickness isn't a concern, then I think the inside cabins on Deck 12 might be a good choice because you'd be right down the hall from the Pavilion Pool. If your cabin ever feels cramped during the day, a short walk down the hall and you have a convenient spot to relax and get a nice view of the sea and sky no matter what the weather is outside. I've noticed that the ping pong table there is very popular among young people and families, as is the pool.

I should mention that although I've had 12 cruises on QM2, I have no experience of an inside cabin so I can't comment on whether or not an inside cabin would be too small for three. (My neighbors take their kids camping, and they sleep in a tent that's smaller than an inside cabin. Surprisingly to me, they all seem to have a great time!:))

Best wishes,

Salacia

Edited to add:

The Inside Cabin Categories (effective 16 May 2014 onwards) I quoted above were copied from Cunard's US website http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

But there are different categories (effective 10 May 2015 to 3 Jan 2016 found here: http://www.cunard.com/documents/2015-2016%20deck%20plans/qm2%202015-2016%20deck%20plans.pdf

Standard Inside

Midships High Deck 10 Cat IA

Midships Low Decks 5,6 Cat IB

Midships Low Decks 4,5,6,11,12 Cat IC

Forward/Aft High Decks 4,5,6, 9,10 Cat IE

Forward Low Decks 5,6,11,12 Cat IF

Please confirm cabin categories with Cunard prior to finalizing your booking.

Edited by Salacia

I've had a 13 night cruise on an inside on another line in a very small cabin sharing with my mum & my then 15 year old son. If your experience is anything like ours you will be absolutely fine, we had great time together, it was fun! We didn't really see son all that much as he was nearly always out of the cabin with the few other young people who on the ship (Fred. Olsen's Black Watch). Mum & I weren't inside the cabin for much longer either.

We devised a rota for showering in the morning (son was always up last, I wonder why?!) and we got dressed & undressed in the (teeny-tiny) bathroom to preserve our modesty.

I am sure that the QM2 cabin will be much bigger than ours was anyway. You won't notice the pull down bunk until your steward sets the bed up in the evening, & it will be put away during the day too :)

Have a wonderful, wonderful crossing & welcome home!

Hi,

Like you, I'm fairly sure that all the insides are all pretty much the same. I'd suggest that twin beds plus the third bunk work better than a double plus the third bunk. (I've seen a photo of that setup and it looked really awkward.)

There's probably more space under the two lower beds than most folk realise. But if that isn't enough, I've heard of folk using the fourth bunk as extra storage space. It may make the cabin look smaller but might save you from climbing/tripping over stuff on the floor and give you more usable space. (Am I right in thinking that any cabin that can take three can also take four?)

Yes, it will be tight. Whether it was too tight, unfortunately only you will be able to answer after you've sailed.

Regards, Colin.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

I think the three of you will do fine in an inside cabin. Why wouldn't you?

There is space under the bed/beds to store four large suitcases. If you have more suitcases, you might put a smaller one inside a larger one, when emptied. For a week, there are enough drawers and cupboards for clothes you three will be using onboard.

Self-service laundry is free on the ship (and they supply the laundry soap), in case this information is helpful.

There is no limit to what you can bring onboard, but you do need to be able move about the room and walking space is very limited in an inside cabin.

The handicapped rooms have a good deal more floor space (so wheelchairs can maneuver around). You could try to book one of those. They are no more costly, just larger.

I think you will create wonderful memories on your crossing "home." Your child may be the start of another generation of Cunard lovers….

Thanks everyone! I had typed a much longer reply but my IE locked up and I lost it but the general crux of it was THANK YOU :)

I feel that we will be just fine in an inside cabin, given the responses you have provided. What with the excitement of a TA plus the excitement of returning home plus the chance to finally sail on a Cunard vessel (I worked on P&O for three years) I think we'll just be happy to be on board :cool:

Thanks everyone! I had typed a much longer reply but my IE locked up and I lost it but the general crux of it was THANK YOU :)

I feel that we will be just fine in an inside cabin, given the responses you have provided. What with the excitement of a TA plus the excitement of returning home plus the chance to finally sail on a Cunard vessel (I worked on P&O for three years) I think we'll just be happy to be on board :cool:

My two friends and I (all adult women) have managed perfectly well in an inside cabin on a couple of sailings. And I agree with Colin_Cameron that it will definitely be easier for you to maneuver around the cabin with two twins and the upper bunk than with the beds together.

Enjoy and congratulations on your return home,

KK

Thanks K,

I guess my wife will need an extra blanket if we go with a twin bed setup; I'm the source of heat usually :p

Sound like we have a plan.

Cheers!

LOL! The duvets on the QM2 are very warm and cozy, and the beds are the most comfortable on which I've ever slept. Between no outside light in the inside cabin and the quiet of our Deck 5 cabins, we would have slept long past breakfast each morning if it wasn't for my alarm clock. And even with it, we often thought I must have set it incorrectly because it seemed to go off way too soon after our heads hit the pillow each night.

Easily the best nights' sleep to be had on the high seas!

Enjoy,

KK

Dogs are both confirmed so it's a GO!

They assigned us to 11015 and I think we will be fine with that. It's in amongst the posh folk ;)

So much to do between now and then and I'm sure the days will fly by.

Can't wait to be home for good. :cool:

Dogs are both confirmed so it's a GO!

They assigned us to 11015 and I think we will be fine with that. It's in amongst the posh folk ;)

So much to do between now and then and I'm sure the days will fly by.

Can't wait to be home for good. :cool:

Congrats moggi! Kennel space is limited, so I'm very happy that your dog's passage has been confirmed.

Just to mention, you might be surprised to find on QM2, that a few of the most 'posh' people actually prefer an inside cabin. One tablemate (a noted NY physician) told me the best sleep he gets happens on an inside cabin on QM2 and prefers those accommodations to a suite (to each his or her own :)) Cheers, -S

Congrats moggi! Kennel space is limited, so I'm very happy that your dog's passage has been confirmed.

Just to mention, you might be surprised to find on QM2, that a few of the most 'posh' people actually prefer an inside cabin. One tablemate (a noted NY physician) told me the best sleep he gets happens on an inside cabin on QM2 and prefers those accommodations to a suite (to each his or her own :)) Cheers, -S

Yes, congratulations on your and your dog's bookings!

Our inside cabin sleeping experiences could not have been better - very cool, dark and quiet. My friends and I all likened it to sleeping in a tomb, though, thank goodness, we have no real personal experience to speak of! :eek:

Enjoy,

KK

Yes, congratulations on your and your dog's bookings!

Our inside cabin sleeping experiences could not have been better - very cool, dark and quiet. My friends and I all likened it to sleeping in a tomb, though, thank goodness, we have no real personal experience to speak of! :eek:

Enjoy,

KK

Seems a good nights sleep is the key feature of the inside.

That's good because I think we are going to be having quite a few late nights in celebration of your return home.

Thanks for the advice and support, everyone.

I have done 2 inside cabins of 28 transatlantic on the QM 2

And I found it claustrophobic . I didn't know what time it was

No light from a porthole.

Your going on a once in a life time trip

And experience. Go for the balcony

Or at least outside with porthole

I cannot fault inside staterooms on ships. As a solo traveller I found insides to be more than adequate.

That said, I tried a balcony stateroom on my last cruise and quite liked having the additional sitting space outside and being able to see the world go by from the comfort of my own room.

In my opinion, it all depends on what itinerary you are doing. If visiting lots of beautiful ports and experiencing warm to mild weather, I'd prefer a balcony. For a crossing, I wouldn't hesitate to book an inside as there isn't much to see and the weather can be pretty inhospitable.

Having spent two years in a tween deck cabin with no porthole I understand the concerns of claustrophobia but like many have said, sleep in the cabin and get out for the rest of the time is a good plan.

I also figured I might bring a couple of those 'daylight' lightbulbs so as to at least have a more natural light in the cabin. Do they use screw in or bayonet style connectors?

A fun way to have a "window" in an inside cabin is to tune the TV to ships bow cam for a look at the world. Also if it's on all night the natural morning light will wake you if you're an early riser. Have a good trip and enjoy being "home."

I also figured I might bring a couple of those 'daylight' lightbulbs so as to at least have a more natural light in the cabin. Do they use screw in or bayonet style connectors?
Not sure but I think they're UK-spec lightbulbs (e.g., 220-240 volt rather than 120 volt) and they've been replacing the incandescent ones with compact fluorescent ones over the years. I don't know what this means for the connection type but you're not likely to find them at a US Home Depot either way.

Not sure but I think they're UK-spec lightbulbs (e.g., 220-240 volt rather than 120 volt) and they've been replacing the incandescent ones with compact fluorescent ones over the years. I don't know what this means for the connection type but you're not likely to find them at a US Home Depot either way.

Underwatr, I think you're right...I looked at the bulbs (July and Sept 2013 QM2 voyages) and I didn't recognize the bulbs as something that is available on this side of the pond. Personally, I wouldn't screw around with the bulbs provided since I have no idea how those lamps are wired, and I certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard. (But I really didn't like the change in lighting the new bulbs provided; the new bulbs stick up over the old lampshades which makes for an odd effect.)

Moggi, I have no experience of an inside cabin, but from what I've heard, some passengers keep their TV turned on to the ships webcam -which is kind of like a window. Perhaps a couple of battery operated candles just for nighttime ambiance might be pleasant?

Well I'm in the UK in June so maybe I'll grab a couple of bayonet daylight UK bulbs whilst I am there. Love the idea of the webcam as a means of keeping in touch with the outside 'time' :)

Maybe we should buy the 'after dinner port and brandy' package :D