Cunard QM2 june sailing 2015

transatlantic kat

Hi Everyone

I have not posted for a very long time as really didnt have anything useful to

say that honestly hadnt been already covered by everyone else.

I have had a very nasty shock from Cunard... Booked a transatlantic crossing on the basis that the saver rate was finishing that weekend (May 1st) and only 2 cabins were available...at £999 per person balcony cabin. The price went up for a couple of day and then next week the price went down by a massive £200

per person to £799 and a few days later to £699....

Cunard are just not interested when I called and said how could this be when I was told categorically that there were only 2 cabins at the saver rate left(its even on their recording) They pretty much say its tough luck and thats senior executive in customer service. Im still trying to get them to understand this is totally unfair and that in fact I have been mis-sold but dont hold out much hope for any reasonable answer. Are their any watch dog type of organisations that can be told of this practice, its really not on.

I have had this once before with Celebrity and without any hesitation they refunded the difference. Help....TK

Then hope for the upgrade because there is not anything else you can do when you book inside the cancellation period.

Yes, you could have waited for the ₤699 deal or the price could have gone up to ₤1199. None of us here are clairvoyant enough to know what will happen with fares. Cunard uses an algorithm which automatically adjusts pricing to booking demand. Some members have reported seeing prices increase during the same browsing session.

Another member here outlined five things that must all be true if one is to wait out a last minute bargain:

1. lowest price, over any other consideration, is your priority
  2. you are not tied to one sailing date
  3. you can accept a category guarantee and no choice of early or late dining
  4. you can accept that the fare might go up or the ship sells out and you don't sail, and
  5. airfare is not an issue.

The mistake you made was to compare prices after you booked. Many members here never look back once they book so they don't start a vacation with a feeling of anger and having been taken. The price after all was agreeable to you when you booked. When the fare went up did you call Cunard and tell them you owe them more?

Edited by BlueRiband

Unfortunately you are right and I have actually resigned myself to the fact that i should have waited longer. all 5 criteria applied to us.

Only looked at their website by accident as some advert popped into my email.

It still grates tho...

Cest la vie

I sympathize, Kat. We have had the same experience (and did enjoy the upgrade, I must say).

While there will be a few who paid less than you, there will also be others who paid more. Once on board, the paying is over (and should go out of your mind) and the pleasure should begin.

Have a wonderful, wonderful voyage!