Percent of men wearing tuxedos?

CarolynK

I suspect it may vary with destination and time of year, but on our last three Cunard trips, tuxedos were worn by 90%+ of the men. All the voyages were in Europe, in April, October and November, so outside school holidays. The clientele were mainly from the UK (on one, 1850 of the 2000 passengers), and towards the mature end of the age spectrum (like us).

Hope this helps, and enjoy your first Cunard experience.

I agree with Sekhmet.

I've done a mixture of crossings and cruises since 2006 on four Cunard ships, and have observed that around 90% of men wear a dinner suit/tuxedo/black tie (call it what you will) on formal nights.

Sometimes the % will be more. On one winter crossing on QM2 for example, on formal evenings, the number of guys in dark suits could be counted on the fingers of one hand (or so it seemed!).

To save weight on a "fly-cruise", sometimes some men won't pack a dinner suit as well as a dark suit or jacket & trousers (for informal nights), so you may see fewer dressed "black tie" on warm-water cruises, but the % will still be 80-90%.

So if he wants to "blend in" on a Cunard trip, pack the formal gear :)

Best wishes, have a truly great time :)

Edited by pepperrn

I agree. Mostly tuxedos around on formal nights (thankfuly), including a fair proportion of any Scottish variant, with kilt and all. Plus the occasional army or navy uniform (with medals...), and some national costumes (mostly in the Far East on the WC). I always pack one black and one white tuxedo jackets, and black tie (the real thing, not the pre-made knots), that I often struggle to tie properly, and to remember how it is done from one time to the next.

It's been one year since we did a crossing (May 9, 2014), but agree it was vast majority wearing tuxes at that time--certainly every gentleman at our table for 8.

My DH also has a white dinner jacket, which he handsomely wears in warmer waters (e.g. in the South Pacific).

On our initial Cunard voyages, he brought the tux, a dark suit AND a sports coat. Now he just brings the tux and sports coat (with which-- although no longer required-- he does wear a necktie).

Have a great voyage, CarolynK

Edited by jimmybean

I always pack one black and one white tuxedo jackets, and black tie (the real thing, not the pre-made knots), that I often struggle to tie properly, and to remember how it is done from one time to the next.

That's exactly what I do as well.

I'd also say about 90% of men wear Black Tie. 0% of women do :D

Been on 8 Cunard cruises , all sailing to or from the US ports.

Always just a dark suit and never found myself out of place on Formal nights.

Never saw anywhere near 90% of men in tux's. More like 50% ? Must be different in Europe?

Sailing again in October , dark suit of course.

Edited by MCC retired

Been on 8 Cunard cruises , all sailing to or from the US ports.

Always just a dark suit and never found myself out of place on Formal nights.

Never saw anywhere near 90% of men in tux's. More like 50% ? Must be different in Europe?

Sailing again in October , dark suit of course.

I agree location of voyage impacts nationality of passengers, which influences dress. All of our time on Cunard ships has been away from USA--either crossings or segments. MCC retired brings up a good point. It does depend on where you are cruising…

DH has a tux, but he brings his suit for Caribbean cruises (none of which has been on a Cunard ship), because tuxes are few and far between on Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...

We sailed QM2 Southampton - New York in October 2011. I would say it was about 50-50 dinner jackets/suits in Britannia. I suspect one way crossings - where people fly the other way reduces the percentage of dinner jackets below what might be expected on round trips. We are doing it again in November, and for the same reason will wear a suit. the extra weight/space of the dinner jacket, shoes, dress shirts, etc. makes full formal difficult - especially since we spend a week in UK pre-crossing.

We have done 3 QM2 Westbound TA Crossings and 2 East Bound Crossings since 2012 and in each case, the Tuxedos were in the great majority after 6pm. This was particularly true during evening dancing in the Queens Room and at the shows in the Royal Court Theater.

However, we did observe more dark suits and jackets on an LA to NY Panama Cruise on the QE.

For most of us, dressing formal is part of fun of cruising on Cunard.

Bob

In the past seven years we have made eight Cunard voyages on three ships. I would say dinner jackets in the Grills were worn by 90 to 95% of men. In Britannia it was somewhat less. From memory I believe it was over 60% DJs.

We sailed QM2 Southampton - New York in October 2011. I would say it was about 50-50 dinner jackets/suits in Britannia. I suspect one way crossings - where people fly the other way reduces the percentage of dinner jackets below what might be expected on round trips. We are doing it again in November, and for the same reason will wear a suit. the extra weight/space of the dinner jacket, shoes, dress shirts, etc. makes full formal difficult - especially since we spend a week in UK pre-crossing.

When you say Dinner Jacket, do you mean tux? I searched DJ vs. tuxedo, and it looks like the two are synonymous. Just trying to understand.

We are on the 3 June TA, and though it IS only a one-way sailing for us, after the TA we'll spending two weeks in Rome, Paris and London, where we'll need at least a jacket & tie for DH for some nice restaurants.

My question of tux vs. dark suit is purely for our own curiosity.

Thanks for all the replies!

When you say Dinner Jacket, do you mean tux? I searched DJ vs. tuxedo, and it looks like the two are synonymous. Just trying to understand.

We are on the 3 June TA, and though it IS only a one-way sailing for us, after the TA we'll spending two weeks in Rome, Paris and London, where we'll need at least a jacket & tie for DH for some nice restaurants.

My question of tux vs. dark suit is purely for our own curiosity.

Thanks for all the replies!

To my understanding tuxedo and dinner jacket are synonymous. I was uncertain of your meaning re: jacket and tie --- minimum of a dark suit is really indicated for formal nights in dining room on board.

To my understanding tuxedo and dinner jacket are synonymous. I was uncertain of your meaning re: jacket and tie --- minimum of a dark suit is really indicated for formal nights in dining room on board.

In re-reading my comment, it does sound confusing!

He's decided to pack the tux. In addition, he'll bring a more casual jacket for the non-formal nights, which will also get some use during the rest of our holiday.

Yes, Dinner Jacket = Dinner Suit = Tuxedo depending on which part of the world you come from, although I think the American-origin Tuxedo variant is recognised world-wide these days.

IMHO men always look particularly elegant in a tuxedo. Thank goodness DH likes wearing his. :)

I'm guessing that it depends on where Cunard markets a particular cruise as to whether they get 90% Tuxes or 50%. My advise and wholehearted suggestion, do not worry about the crowd and whether he will blend in or stand out. Wear the Tuxedo and be part of the atmosphere. To not do so takes way from the atmosphere in my opinion.

White tuxedos are particularly elegant right up until the moment you spill gravy on them, then you look more like James May than James Bond.

I wear black tuxedos exclusively now (if I'm wearing one at all), and don't forget the Cummerbund.

For anyone interested in the rules of etiquette, at least the American version (yes, they have some):

When is it appropriate to wear a white tuxedo - between Memorial Day and Labor Day only. It is considered not only acceptable but proper to wear a white dinner jacket or mess jacket in place of a black dinner jacket.

When should you wear a bow tie - you can wear a bow tie with pointed or notched lapels. Shawl lapels, as you see on some tuxes and smoking jackets, should be accompanied by a bow tie.

Can I remove my tuxedo when I'm dining - generally, at a black-tie affair, you want to keep your jacket on at all times, if you are planning to strip off for any reason, you should consider wearing a waistcoat instead of a cummerbund.

Is a Midnight Blue tuxedo considered acceptable - when Edison's lightbulb replaced the candle, it made the black tuxedo look a bit green. It took a gentleman of the rank of the Duke of Windsor to discover that a very dark blue tux looked blacker than black in artificial light. Lighting might have improved, but a midnight blue tuxedo is still an excellent choice.

There are many, many more "rules" - but these seem to be the most common questions.

Hi again, Winchester Ranger,

FYI, I don't believe I have seen many cummerbunds on Cunard ships. If Pepperrn reads this, maybe he will comment on this. He is more observant than I.

What I have seen is a few men (trend-setters) in tuxedos with colored shirts, looking very sharp. It seems formal dress needed be stogy.

My DH (my dear husband) takes pride in his ability to tie a bow tie. Bow ties are another way sea-going gentlemen add some color. Black bow tie isn't a requirement.

Occasionally, there is a Scottish passenger, in full dress kilt on formal nights. Lovely!

For anyone interested in the rules of etiquette, at least the American version (yes, they have some):

When is it appropriate to wear a white tuxedo - between Memorial Day and Labor Day only. It is considered not only acceptable but proper to wear a white dinner jacket or mess jacket in place of a black dinner jacket.

There are many, many more "rules" - but these seem to be the most common questions.

I appreciate the concession that there may be some American rules of etiquette -- and relying upon that concession I would like to,point out that white dinner jackets are not limited to the Memorial Day - Labor Day period; and are permitted (and white mess jackets are also specifically called for) in areas generally referred to as "tropical" year round.

This idea of blending in on a formal night. I think wearing a Tux is a great thing. If I am the only man wearing a Tux on a formal night then so be it. I like dressing to impress others. I like wearing a Tux on a cruise/voyage and I think others should make the effort. If you don't then watch for that instant when my nose makes a scrunch. It is my disdain thing I do when I see someone underdressed. It only lasts a moment and I would never say anything but I just think formal is formal. So to the original poster who wants to see if her DH will stick out wearing a Tux, He should! And wear it well.

This idea of blending in on a formal night. I think wearing a Tux is a great thing. If I am the only man wearing a Tux on a formal night then so be it. I like dressing to impress others. I like wearing a Tux on a cruise/voyage and I think others should make the effort. If you don't then watch for that instant when my nose makes a scrunch. It is my disdain thing I do when I see someone underdressed. It only lasts a moment and I would never say anything but I just think formal is formal. So to the original poster who wants to see if her DH will stick out wearing a Tux, He should! And wear it well.

Well said!! He IS going to wear it.

Don't worry he will definitely not stick out, I won't try and estimate the total % on our just finished trip but it was 100% on our table. Both black & white jackets made an appearance, although you couldn't describe conditions as tropical !

Hi again, Winchester Ranger,

FYI, I don't believe I have seen many cummerbunds on Cunard ships. If Pepperrn reads this, maybe he will comment on this. He is more observant than I.

Thank you jimmybean :o , I have to agree, not many cummerbunds to be seen, which is a pity.

I pack a couple each time, and a waistcoat, so I've got some variety to chose from each formal night.

Best wishes to you as always :)