Excursion to Taj Mahal

We are booked on the Voyager Dubai to Singapore in December 2016. There is a 3 day stop in Mumbai. Regent is offering a 2 night excursion to the Taj Mahal, Basically we leave the ship at 5:00am, fly to Dehli, 4 1/2 hour drive to Taj Mahal. See Taj for 2 hours at sunset, go to hotel for dinner and show, then go back at dawn for 2 hours. We then have 2 hours for choosing another activity, then return to Dehli, sleep overnight and leave at 5:00am to return to ship. It is fairly expensive.

Has anyone done this 2 night excursion and would you recommend it, or is it too rushed. We have never been to India and don't know if we will get another chance to see the Taj.

Should you stay or should you go? Well, of course, ultimately, only you can make the decision, but I thought I'd leave my 2p's here to start the conversation.

We've visited India several times, both on cruises and as landbased trips. I love the country and would return at any opportunity, though I realise that our British links with the country and culture mean that it's likely to appeal in a different way to us than to people from other parts of the world. Both my father and f-i-l were in India whilst in the army, so we both grew up with stories of their happy experiences there. And yet, of all the places I've been, which one stands out as being rather underwhelming? You've guessed. The Taj Mahal. I'll say right now, we didn't do the cruise excursion but went there as part of our land based itinerary about twenty years ago (aaagh! good grief...where did those years go?) We stayed at what wasn't the ITC then but might well be the same hotel - we were travelling with A&K so were definitelywell taken care of.

Maybe it was the unsettled tummy, maybe it was the tiredness of waking up at some early hour, maybe it was any number of things...I can't say. But whereas places like this usually send a shiver down my spine and bring a tear to my eye, the Taj left me cold. The weather wasn't that good: it was misty and a bit overcast and of course, there were hundreds of people there with me. I wasn't seeing the Taj as I've seen it in pictures, with blue skies and someone sitting solo on that bench in front...oh no. So, though I cried when I saw St Basils Cathedral in Moscow, couldn't believe I really did get to Machu Picchu or Ayers Rock and pinched myself when we finally got to Angor Wat...sadly, the Taj didn't do it for me.

My choice (and again, I realise that many will think I'm crazy) would be to stay on the ship and enjoy the other aspects of India you'd otherwise miss. Use the time to see more of real life in the country - it's an assault on all the senses (at the same time!) and enjoy the colour, the dirt (oh yes....sadly you can't miss that) but most of all, the life there. We had the most amazing day in Mumbai with another couple from the ship and it remains one of our all time favourite memories (http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2011/4/30/another-memorable-day.html) . Be brave and go into a (non-tourist) shop and buy something small so you can interact with the people, safe in the knowledge that you can return to your lovely ship for delicious (safe) food and sleep in the comfiest bed imaginable that night. You could always pin a photograph of the Taj on your wall ;-)

Edited by Gilly
correcting my spelling!

We did a similar excursion with Regent in 2014 and felt this would be my only opportunity to see the Taj. We had 1 day in Mumbai and then left the 2nd morning on the excursion. On our trip we only had 2 days in Mumbai so we joined the ship in Mangalore missing Goa.

The Taj was one of the places I wanted to see. We stayed at the same hotels as you and I thought they were both very good. The tour operator did a great job. I am so glad we did this excursion. It was worth the time and money.

If the optional activity is to go to the Red Fort i highly recommend going there. It turned out to be as important as the time spent at the Taj.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Edited by 1982CruzStart

We did a Regent 3-night pre-cruise excursion to the Taj Mahal, We flew from home to Delhi, spent one night, drove to Agra where we spent another night and another night in Jaipur before flying back to Mumbai. This was 3 1/2 years ago and it was an "included" in the cost of our fare.

The drive from Delhi to Agra is on a modern freeway and there was not much to see (this may have changed since we were there as the freeway was fairly new at the time). Once arriving in Agra, it was a feast for the eyes. The city is much dirtier than Delhi and there were animals everywhere. Unfortunately, there is so much government corruption in Agra (according to our guide), that the vast amounts of money they receive from tourists stays in the pockets of the government.

The grounds of the Taj Mahal are amazing but we did get quite tired waiting for what seemed like forever to get the tour inside. For us, while I would not do it again, it was worth our time.

In terms of the ITC Mughal - it was great and horrible at the same time. The grounds were beautiful, fabulous food and very nice show. However, the rooms were terrible. I rarely complain to Regent but did about this hotel. It is important to note that the hotel was being refurbished and it is certainly possible that these rooms are now as beautiful as the rest of the hotel.

In contrast to Gilly's post, we did not care for Mumbai (but did not spend a lot of time there). We much preferred both Jaipur and New Delhi.

It is obviously your decision. I spent 30 years avoiding trips to India (my DH wanted to go). I'm very happy that we went but am not interested in returning (my DH is looking at an itinerary that includes India -- I'm wondering how long I can put him off this time:-)

I was hoping that someone would give a hundred reasons why you cannot possibly decline an opportunity to go there - thank you 1982CruzStart ;-) Having given it further thought, I would add that your decision might well depend on your level of stamina and level of bravery. If you'd otherwise remain on the ship and not venture out to explore, then perhaps it's a good opportunity to see one of the world's highlights. If, however, you are sufficiently independent and curious about a culture and way of life very different from our own, then maybe your time could be better spent. I understand why India doesn't appeal to all - it can be a scary and rather shocking experience. But it rewards the effort made and a bit of patience and basic understanding can make the simplest of experiences memorable. Yes, TC, I agree, Jaipur is better geared to the tourist and parts of New Delhi (or perhaps, Old Delhi) are, too. However, Mumbai (I think) is more easily explored independently.

Do tell us what you decide!

Edited by Gilly

floridaphilly, that's great! I will look forward to your report of a fantastic experience which will make me want to go again and get it right this time ;-) Go!

I understand why India doesn't appeal to all - it can be a scary and rather shocking experience. But it rewards the effort made and a bit of patience and basic understanding can make the simplest of experiences memorable.

We love India

I would not describe it as scary or shocking. Sure the sights, sounds and smells are full-on and the poverty can be disturbing. However,the people are benign, friendly and helpful; the culture and history is fascinating

Make the most of your time in India and try to pack in as much as your own stamina will allow

But, as Gilly, says you need to approach your trips with the right attitude.........everything is unlikely to go exactly as planned...............try having the same perspective as the locals by applying Hindu karma and a belief in fate

I too love India and thought the Taj Mahal was wonderful. We however did a two week land tour before joining a two week cruise.

Could you extend your trip at the beginning and spend a few days in both New Delhi and Agra and add in Jaipur if you can? Really worth it.

Don't miss it though

PS Also not a lover of Mumbai.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

We have justed returned from the reverse of ths cruise, Singapore to Dubai on the Voyager, albeit with a slightly different itinerary. We opted not to do the side trip to the Taj as it was a lot of travel to visit something we were ambivalent about. We enjoyed our time in Mumbai immensely, and would have like more time there.

But we did speak to some who did the excursion and they were very happy with the arrangements. Apparently Regent organised a professional photographer to travel with them so those who wanted their pictures on the 'Diana bench' etc. could hire their services at a reasonable price. They were very happy with the hotel and meals, though were quite disparaging of Agra itself.

Even after hearing the positive feedback, we did not regret our decision. Mumbai was the place were we could feel India - a single landmark could not replace that.

If you need any information about other excursions, just ask:).

We took this exact excursion in November 2014. Hotels were wonderful; time at Taj and Red Fort absolutely fantastic. Air pollution absolutely miserable. I would wear a mask the whole time; especially in Delhi. It seems like a lot of money for just a little time at Taj but absolutely worth it.

Marc

My apologies for going off topic, but I had to say Hello to Grandma... ;-)

I'll bring it back on theme by saying how pleased I am the OP has a range of opinions on which to base her decision. This thread is CC at its best - no arguments, just several of us offering our own thoughts based on our experience and personal preferences. I like it!

A few years ago we spent 15 days in Northern India to see the Taj and many more sights. We were in Agra for three nights. The Taj was amazing! If you don't plan to do a trip like this, we would recommend you book the expensive Regent excursion. It gives you two cracks at the Taj. That's important. I'd recommend the Red Fort as the extra option. You'll be happy you did.

We are looking forward to meeting you on Voyager this December.

I would agree with Island Cruiser. I have done land tours in India and they were fantastic. I will also say that India isn't for everyone. If you are an experienced traveler I think you will appreciate it as a totally different culture and way of life.

If you are trading Goa and Mangalore for a trip to the Taj. It is a no brainer. Do it.

I have been to all three.

I stayed at the ITC last year. Service is great, food is very good. Rooms are dated but nice.

Edited by commodore2010
More info

With the caveat that we did not visit with Regent, I would recommend visiting the Taj Mahal if you are the kind of person who collects iconic travel experiences. We found it a bit hectic and grueling to travel around India even on the better freeways but the actual grounds themselves are gorgeous (though be prepared to be very tightly crammed inside the Taj for the few minutes you are in the structure) and we treasure the photos we have. We stayed at the Oberoi in Agra and loved it, if it's a clear day and you can get over there for drinks the view over the Taj is gorgeous. The Oberoi in Delhi is nice as well, we had a lovely spa treatment there (not sure if you will have time).

The trade off is that you will lose a lot of time in transit that you could be spending in Mumbai, but only you know if you'll look back and regret that you missed seeing the Taj Mahal.

We are booked on the Voyager Dubai to Singapore in December 2016. There is a 3 day stop in Mumbai. Regent is offering a 2 night excursion to the Taj Mahal, Basically we leave the ship at 5:00am, fly to Dehli, 4 1/2 hour drive to Taj Mahal. See Taj for 2 hours at sunset, go to hotel for dinner and show, then go back at dawn for 2 hours. We then have 2 hours for choosing another activity, then return to Dehli, sleep overnight and leave at 5:00am to return to ship. It is fairly expensive.

Has anyone done this 2 night excursion and would you recommend it, or is it too rushed. We have never been to India and don't know if we will get another chance to see the Taj.

We did this trip 3 years ago when it was offered as a free 3 day pre trip by Regent. To date this was one of our favorite trips! The Taj Mahal is everything and more than you ever expected. Agra is a sensory delight and unlike anywhere else. Please don't miss this opportunity , you'll love it!

Floridaphilly - Please allow me to add another vote to your consideration of taking the tour to the Taj Mahal. Although, as my partner posted earlier, we had the great privilege of spending 3 days in Agra as part of a land trip, that is not in the cards for most visitors. If, as you have suggested, this may be your only shot at visiting the Taj Mahal, I would most emphatically recommend that you do so.

One of the particular advantages of this Regent package is that it includes visits to the site both in the afternoon and in the next morning. Therefore, that gives you two opportunities to see the monument, even if it is obscured by fog or mist (nice words for smog) on one of the two occasions.

Frankly, I would strongly advise against trying to go into the interior of the monument (unless the place is pretty much deserted) because it is very close and there is not really much to see. Of the many hours that we enjoyed the Taj Mahal, the only time that we regretted was the ghastly claustrophobic time in the interior.

As we have not yet visited Mumbai, I cannot opine whether the time spent there would be preferable to time spent visiting Agra; but I will tell you that given the choice of one or the other, I would without a moment's hesitation go for the Taj Mahal.

While we experienced and loved the "real India" that you might find in Mumbai, the time at the Taj Mahal was, at least for us, a marvelous "true travel experience". Please do not allow anyone to tell you that "tourist" experiences are not good experiences. The reason that most tourist attractions are so described in that they are worth visiting.

Cheers, Fred

My last comment on the Taj versus other cities.

Mumbai is an iconic Indian city. However, you really need to spend some time here to appreciate it. Not just a port day or two. Traffic is/can be unbelievable in Mumbai and you may end up spending more time on the bus than at the attractions on a cruise tour. Much worse in Mumbai than Delhi.

I looked at the Itinerary and the Taj trip starts the second day of Mumbai. So you will have one day in Mumbai. The second day you go on the Taj trip. You pick up the cruise again in Mangalore. You miss the ports of Goa and Mangalore.

I have been to Mumbai, Goa, Mangalore, Delhi, Agra and others. Again, missing one day Mumbai, Goa and Mangalore to see the Taj is a no brainer in my mind.

Also on this tour you have an option to see the Agra Red Fort. This is a great site to visit and IMO is as good or better than anything you will see in Goa or Mangalore.

If you have time and inclination and want to experience a true India moment. One that you will never forget. Take a taxi to Old Delhi and then get on a Cycle Rickshaw and go through the Old Delhi.