Voyager - Dubai to Barcelona 5/2 - 5/23/16

I have really enjoyed travelling with you and I want to thank you for taking the time to post while on vacation.

We are boarding on June 6.

Do you know if Lorraine will still be onboard??

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

25c1617c62c933c673e495ff9248abf6.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind words as you journeyed with me to the Middle East. I plan to complete a photo journal which I will post as soon as it is done.

In the mean time, this is my iconic Regent shot - happy and relaxed at the end of the day. What you don't see is the bucket of champagne and my darling husband. These really are the best of times!

25c1617c62c933c673e495ff9248abf6.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind words as you journeyed with me to the Middle East. I plan to complete a photo journal which I will post as soon as it is done.

In the mean time, this is my iconic Regent shot - happy and relaxed at the end of the day. What you don't see is the bucket of champagne and my darling husband. These really are the best of times!

Lovely photo and thank you for all your posts.

We were also on this cruise and I loved it. I'm still amazed at all we saw and the fact that I survived both some pretty amazing heat and having my mother go missing in Petra. She wasn't lost, according to her, the group moved so while looking for her, I added a few extra miles before finally running UP the canyon to find her calmly enjoying her wine and lunch. She might be in her 8th decade but the woman has the legs of a 20 year old.

Artful Travelers was an added bonus and I really enjoyed the programs. Their crew and fans unfortunatly were the guilty party that commandeered the pool deck lounges. I'm not a fan of that much sunlight, heat and skin damage so it didn't matter to me but there was quite a bit of fuss from some folks.

db5bce04decb18cce3b71ff8d754455f.jpg

OMG....can't imagine going up that hill in the heat more than once! We were tempted by the maniac horsemen but not willing to pay the extortionist fees! Although, my attitude changed as we reached the home stretch, but, by then, we were almost to the restaurant. That cold beer was never as refreshing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
We had an exhausting day with a 12 hour excursion from the port, Safaga, to Luxor. The ride was 3 1/2 hours each way through arid mountains, desolate desert, then fertile farmland in the Nile valley until we reached the Nile itself and the archeological sites of ancient Egypt.

Our first stop was in the Valley of the Kings where the tombs of the Pharaohs are located. Imagine going to the rocky mountain ridge that overlooks the lush Nile River basin. You enter a high valley with absolutely no vegetation and magnificent tombs carved into the rock face. The artistry, rich with symbolism, defies description, and focuses on the journey into the afterlife. We toured three tombs although I only made it 10 feet into the last tomb when I realized it was about 80 steep steps down (which meant 80 steep steps back up) in 110 degree heat.

This high valley with surrounding cliffs acts like a massive convection oven. Even the ticket puncher was concerned, insisting I take his bench and fanning me with my hat. I poured my water down my back and stared to revive but for a moment I thought I might join the pharaoh!

We went on to see several more sites and ended at the Luxor temple itself. Luxor is connected to another temple, Karnak, by a 3 km alley of human headed sphinx- many headless at this point, but impressive none the less.

Egypt is really suffering from the decline in tourism because of the uprisings and terrorism of the last few years. This also impacts the archeological digs and maintenance of the sites. The people were universally welcoming, however, smiling and waving as we traveled through villages and towns. The only disconcerting thing is that there are countless "checkpoints" - some police checkpoints, some traffic checkpoints, and some military checkpoints - all with rifle toting men milling about. Our guide minimized it, saying it was their method for tracking criminals and drug traffickers - not terrorists. I didn't completely buy the explanation. Anyway, we expected to be traveling in a convoy with armed guards, but that didn't happen and we have lived to tell the tale!

We returned to the ship at about 9:30 pm to the most spirited welcome back reception. It seemed like most of the staff were outside, the band was playing, and everyone started dancing and clapping. As if by magic, we were no longer sweaty, bone weary, bedraggled tourists. We got a shot of Regent love and we were good to go! A buffet was served in La Veranda, wine flowed liberally, then we sailed away while lounging on the back deck off the Horizons Lounge, drinking champagne. Does it get better than this?

Hi

I enjoyed reading all your posts. Myself and my wife Diana were also on this cruise. Do not remember you guys. We spent a lot of time in the gym and walking on the top deck. We also played a lot of the silly games they have for Regent points.

All your post were right on except for the Luxor tour. There was a poorly organized convoy. Not sure about all the buses, we had a well armed guard on our bus. He had a black suit on. Under his jacket he had semi-auto pistol and on the other side he had a folding stock assault rifle. He told me he was a police officer. Nice guy, friendly, did not speak much English.

All in all we really enjoyed the trip. Would highly recommend it. Our friends thought we were crazy for going.

Would also like to say hello to Travelcat2. Were were on the Capetown to Capetown cruise with her last Nov.

Robert

Hi

Would also like to say hello to Travelcat2. Were were on the Capetown to Capetown cruise with her last Nov.

Robert

Hi Robert - good to see you on Cruise Critic. Hope we cruise together gain soon. Are you booked on any Explorer cruises?

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Cat Lady,

Just got back from this cruise and had rotator cuff surgery on June 1st. Nothing booked on the Explorer. Waiting for your write up.

We are thinking about the Miami to Miami (Zika) Cruise in Nov. to the Amazon?? On the Mariner. We would not have to fly anywhere, we can drive to Miami.

By the way the Voyager left a lot to be desired. The gym was horrible. The ship needs work. Also Vladimir was the Restaurant Manager on this cruise. Also Lorraine was the cruise director. There were some other people from the Mariner.

Take care,

Robert

Hi

I enjoyed reading all your posts. Myself and my wife Diana were also on this cruise. Do not remember you guys. We spent a lot of time in the gym and walking on the top deck. We also played a lot of the silly games they have for Regent points.

All your post were right on except for the Luxor tour. There was a poorly organized convoy. Not sure about all the buses, we had a well armed guard on our bus. He had a black suit on. Under his jacket he had semi-auto pistol and on the other side he had a folding stock assault rifle. He told me he was a police officer. Nice guy, friendly, did not speak much English.

All in all we really enjoyed the trip. Would highly recommend it. Our friends thought we were crazy for going.

Robert

This has peaked my curiosity! Which excursion were you on to Luxor? As far as I could see, we had no one armed on our bus. We were on and off quite a few times and I'm sure I would have noticed. Also in returning to the ship, we were virtually alone in th desert, returning to the ship!

No surprise that you don't recognize us. We spent no time in the gym and no time playing games!

This has peaked my curiosity! Which excursion were you on to Luxor? As far as I could see, we had no one armed on our bus. We were on and off quite a few times and I'm sure I would have noticed. Also in returning to the ship, we were virtually alone in th desert, returning to the ship!

No surprise that you don't recognize us. We spent no time in the gym and no time playing games!

We were on The Valley of the Kings Tour.

Yes, we were on Valley of the Kings and Luxor. Funny how your group had security and we were on our own unless I really missed it. I'm pretty observant and I know our bus was not in a convoy.....we occasionally passed one of the tour buses or they passed us.

The time I was a bit nervous about an "incident" was going through the Suez. We were sitting ducks. I imagine, though, since the revenues from the canal stoke the Egyptian economy, there must be some heavy duty security guarding the passage!

Yes, we were on Valley of the Kings and Luxor. Funny how your group had security and we were on our own unless I really missed it. I'm pretty observant and I know our bus was not in a convoy.....we occasionally passed one of the tour buses or they passed us.

The time I was a bit nervous about an "incident" was going through the Suez. We were sitting ducks. I imagine, though, since the revenues from the canal stoke the Egyptian economy, there must be some heavy duty security guarding the passage!

We had the security because I am sooo important, not.

That was an Egyptian convoy we were in. No order.

Hello Robert,

Do you remember us on the cruise? We're Maureen & Tony and played the silly games with you for Regent Reward points. I think you played pickleball, didn't you? We didn't go to Petra or Egypt on this cruise because we've done those tours before. We only booked the cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We had a fantastic time and are now looking forward to a ten day cruise around the Mediterranean in August on the newly refurbished Navigator. Really good to meet you and hope we cross paths again.

Maureen & Tony

Hello

Met you both Capetown to Capetown. We like the Regent experience at sea so much we booked LA to Miami on new Explorer in November and then the Mariner from Lima to BA (in our usual cabin! ha) Can't wait! Very sorry about Istanbul airport just now.....as it wasn't long ago we started a lovely cruise from there. Nowadays we like to really be careful where we are booking trips. But wont stop cruising! And I can't wait to see San Diego.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Robert,

Do you remember us on the cruise? We're Maureen & Tony and played the silly games with you for Regent Reward points. I think you played pickleball, didn't you? We didn't go to Petra or Egypt on this cruise because we've done those tours before. We only booked the cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We had a fantastic time and are now looking forward to a ten day cruise around the Mediterranean in August on the newly refurbished Navigator. Really good to meet you and hope we cross paths again.

Maureen & Tony

Hi

Good hearing from you. Yes we did to play pickleball on the ship.

You guys are from England? Is that correct. I am so much better with faces than names. Diana is good with names. It was always fun playing the silly games. There was a good group of people.

We just booked the Zika cruise!!! Miami to Miami 25 nights Nov. 26th. It goes down and into the Amazon. The good part we will not have to fly anywhere we will be able to drive to Miami(3 1/2 hrs each way).

Hopefully we can cross paths sometime in our travels.

Robert and Diana

Hi

We just booked the Zika cruise!!! Miami to Miami 25 nights Nov. 26th. It goes down and into the Amazon.

You will have a fantastic time - this was one of our favorite cruises and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

We used Ben's insect repellent wipes (purchased at REI) and didn't get bit once, and I always attract anything that bites. The wipes are great since you don't need to spray anything in a crowded bus and can reapply very easily as often as you need.

Enjoy!

gnomie :)

We have just booked this cruise for 2018. Thank you for the comprehensive and informative review - we shall absorb the details after we have done our round-half-the-world in Jan/Feb 2017.

The foodie side of this cruise sounds absolutely awesome!

Hello again Robert & Diana, Yes we are the English couple who played all the silly games with you. Tony is the left hander who had to find a left handed golf club each time we played crazy golf and I am the dumpy curly haired lady who always wore the horrible red cover-up. I must buy another one that looks better than that! Hope you had a great time sailing down the Amazon in November; sounds a wonderful trip.

Maureen & Tony