Major flight delays due to TSA shortage?

FLUFFLULA

The last update that I have seen reports that the security checkpoint in Atlanta that was closed for some kind of re-tooling is scheduled to re-open on May 24, 2016. Let us hope that is the case - I know that last Monday was a zoo at the airport.

Thanks for all the helpful information. Maybe the ATL situation will improve soon. Hope the issues TSA can be resolved as well.

Interesting...earlier in this thread I posted my experience at O'Hare on Friday which was very easy and without delay. I just read that the head of TSA was at O'Hare on Friday for meetings to discuss the recent delays and to observe the process first hand. Surprisingly - and I'm sure by sheer coincidence :rolleyes: - there was very little reported security delays while he was there, which also coincided with my time going through as well. No wonder it went so well......;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There's more at play here than just a shortage of TSA agents. Airline baggage fees are also to blame as are clueless passengers. The summer is the worst with families traveling with small children.

As a clueless example, when you're asked to take any change you might have out of your pockets that probably contains $20.00 in pennies removing 15 cent for scan trip number 2 isn't going to get you or the mile long line of frustrated passengers behind you off to their gates. That line will 'freeze' until you remove the other $19.85 and by then the line you've stopped would very much like to pummel you with a stick after X ray pass four.

There is a huge group of inexperienced travelers that have no clue how to pack hand carry or proceed efficiently through TSA check points. Inexperience really takes a toll.

One of the main reasons programs like Global Entry work is that those that use those programs typically have learned how to travel.

In a perfect world each airline with ticket facilities at major hub airports would take the TSA tax collected (tell the gov. to keep their hands off that tax) and set up and man their own TSA approved security check points as you actually check in for your flight.

Nope - that would never work, much to efficient.

As a clueless example, when you're asked to take any change you might have out of your pockets that probably contains $20.00 in pennies removing 15 cent for scan trip number 2 isn't going to get you or the mile long line of frustrated passengers behind you off to their gates. That line will 'freeze' until you remove the other $19.85 and by then the line you've stopped would very much like to pummel you with a stick after X ray pass four.

There is a huge group of inexperienced travelers that have no clue how to pack hand carry or proceed efficiently through TSA check points. Inexperience really takes a toll.

One of the main reasons programs like Global Entry work is that those that use those programs typically have learned how to travel.

In a perfect world each airline with ticket facilities at major hub airports would take the TSA tax collected (tell the gov. to keep their hands off that tax) and set up and man their own TSA approved security check points as you actually check in for your flight.

Nope - that would never work, much to efficient.

They should make all the idiots who hold up the line because they are too stupid to follow the very clear directions go to the back of the line no matter how long the line is. They will not make that mistake again and if they miss their plane - tough.

DON

My understanding is that one of the main reasons for longer lines is that Congress overestimated the number of people who would sign up for TSA Pre-check and thus underestimated staffing requirements.

I just flew from Charlotte to Vegas - the line at 5:45 on Sunday morning was about 45 minutes. Coming back from Vegas the line was very long about 9:30am Saturday but moved very well - about 30 minutes- Vegas had plenty of employees and scanners working. Complicating the issue in Vegas was quite a few people ducking under the ropes to get to the head of the line.

Get to the airport early would be my advice...and I sure wouldn't schedule an early flight after disembarkation in Ft Lauderdale.

It's not a shortage of Airport Security Screeners. It's more that the agency is mismanaged, inefficient, and afraid to eliminate unnecessary and nonproductive procedures.

Don't be too quick to blame inexperienced flyers when the process varies from airport to airport, checkpoint to checkpoint, and day to day. Then there is the scanning machines that alarm on pleats, scraps of paper in pockets that a pat down doesn't detect, sweat, loose clothing, and a whole host of other normal things.

TSA is trying to fast-track hire a couple hundred more clerks. Job requirements and training are:

High school degree/or equivalent or one year in security (i.e, mall cop, security guard). Will receive 3 weeks' training and then given a test.

Not much there to give confidence in the quality of these hires...

TSA is trying to fast-track hire a couple hundred more clerks. Job requirements and training are:

High school degree/or equivalent or one year in security (i.e, mall cop, security guard). Will receive 3 weeks' training and then given a test.

Not much there to give confidence in the quality of these hires...

Maybe they should revive this . . .

TSA-Adveristises-on-Pizza-Boxes.jpg

Maybe they should revive this . . .

TSA-Adveristises-on-Pizza-Boxes.jpg

And, people said I was making that up... :eek:

CNN had the listing for the requirements for the folks they are now trying to hire: HS diploma or equivalent or 1 year "security" work (mall security, office security). Will give 3 weeks of training and have them take a test before foisting them on the public...

Also, USA Today led with the TSA issue. TSA still laid the blame on people with too much carry on. BUT, in a few months, they will start installing an automated system that will allow 5 people at a time to put their belongings into the bins????? And, the article said that the long lines and wait times will only get longer as the summer goes on.

Edited by slidergirl