trivia cheats

Sports Dr

Why must veteran cruisers cheat in trivia games? The same ones, who cruise often, bring old answer sheets to the trivia, and thus, win most of the trinkets. One couple won 5 contests, and were very upset that they lost one. Beginning cruisers have very little chance... it is supposed to be for fun? anyone else encounter this?

This is one of those things that makes me nuts - let's cheat to win some little trinkets. We go for fun, but some people take it way too seriously.

One time a guy had a manilla folder with papers to look up answers.

Edited by hansolosmom

Why must veteran cruisers cheat in trivia games? The same ones, who cruise often, bring old answer sheets to the trivia, and thus, win most of the trinkets. One couple won 5 contests, and were very upset that they lost one. Beginning cruisers have very little chance... it is supposed to be for fun? anyone else encounter this?

We have been cruising with RCI since 1997 and love to play trivia. When the same trivia questions are asked over and over again, cheat sheets aren't necessary.:p

For us, unless one of the CD staff actually takes the time to make up their own trivia, it really isn't a challenge anymore because we have actually been able to store all that useless information over the years.:D If we win, we usually give whatever we have won to others that are there.

Edited by cruisenfever

This reminds me of my recent cruise, though the group that won frequently was not necessarily "cheating", they had probably been on enough cruises to remember all of the questions. They were winning by wide margins.

They were definitely veteran cruisers. I think their first cruise was on the Mayflower.

Chris

It may take the fun away for you, but doing something is only cheating if it's against the rules.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

this reminds me of my recent cruise, though the group that won frequently was not necessarily "cheating", they had probably been on enough cruises to remember all of the questions. They were winning by wide margins.

They were definitely veteran cruisers. I think their first cruise was on the mayflower.

Chris

lol!!:d:d

Edited by drarill

I think this is just a sign of our society today. Ethics are a thing of the past for many people. It is very sad that people feel the need to "cheat" on something so "trivial".:rolleyes:

But, if they cheat at this unimportant game, what else do they cheat on. It is all about the ME society and anything I do is okay.

Very sad commentary on society today.

This is one of those things that makes me nuts - let's cheat to win some little trinkets. We go for fun, but some people take it way too seriously.

One time a guy had a manilla folder with papers to look up answers.

Seems like bringing resources or doing google searches to win a trivia game is pretty cheap. Whoever is running the game should disqualify them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

We don't play very often, but when we do ... we play for fun ... but once our team won on a HAL cruise and we each won a great prize - $50 on board credit. Since it was the end of a very long cruise, it took $100 off our final bill ...

Basically, I agree. Trivia seems to be the number one daytime activity on all the cruises I have taken. Venues are packed. Yet many or most hosts take it lightly and just go through the motions. They come out and say "People, you are only playing for junkie prizes." They don't see the point that it is a competition. People want to have fun AND want to do their best to win. So, many (except Darryl!) roll out the same questions week after week. They'll say no more than six on a team and there will be teams of twelve right in front of them. Had a recent question that asked what two presidents were on the first US stamps issued. The answer given was George Washington and Benjamin Franklin! I must have missed his presidency. That question had to have been given before and the answer not corrected. Hard to compete against BtBtB's. And it isn't their fault that questions get repeated. I found that Explorer did a great job of running an "honest" and fun game.

Does the quality of the game make or break my cruise? No way; that would be infantile. Is it disappointing to see it taken lightly by crew when so many enjoy the activity? . . .

I don't understand why someone who has played the trivia game so often before that they know the answers would even want to play the same game again. If you win a game you have participated in many times before, what have you really won? It seems like a big waste of time to me. What is the value and satisfaction of a false victory?

not cheats just lazy hosts that use old questions so people remember the answers, you can always tell when the activities staff have taken the trouble to get some new questions the scores are always much lower.

This is what we have experienced over the years. And I remember one answer that was totally wrong, everyone playing said it was wrong, but the person running the trivia said he had to go with the answers from "corporate". Well, we went to this same type of trivia several cruises later, that same question was there with the SAME wrong answer! My personal dilemma was should I answer it wrong just to get it right or should I stick with what I knew was the right answer?

I am going to take this one from the other side. We will take our first cruise as Platinum level next month. So we are not in the frequent cruiser category. But we enjoy trivia. My DW has qualified (but not called back) for the Jeopardy program. I take the tests for Jeopardy. They're fun. We went to several trivia game on our NOS cruise and happened to win all but one of them. No cheating, just general knowledge. We don't play for the prizes and have given some to other people in attendance. But please, just because someone wins, do not assume they are cheating.

I met a young couple on a recent cruise that were on the "Love and Marriage" game as newlyweds and weren't even married. I think they won 2nd place. That is cheating too. I am sure they weren't the first to do so either. It's a shame when you have to cheat to win something.:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

I met a young couple on a recent cruise that were on the "Love and Marriage" game as newlyweds and weren't even married. I think they won 2nd place. That is cheating too. I am sure they weren't the first to do so either. It's a shame when you have to cheat to win something.:rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

Another variation on this theme:

We watched a "newlywed" couple win, too.

Yes, they had just gotten married.

But they had been living together for nine years, and had their THREE CHILDREN with them!

:eek: