Live from Mariner May 18-June 1. Vancouver to Vancouver (with Alaska in between)

RachelG

George and I are currently in the admirals club at DFW awaiting our flight to Vancouver. Very much looking forward to this adventure. We have been to Alaska many times. In fact, it was one of our first cruises many years ago, but we have not been there in exactly 10 years.

How do I know exactly? I have a picture of us at Whittier Glacier on our 25th anniversary. Yesterday was our 35th. Time flies. I even have the same waterproof jacket in my suitcase, and it still looks fine and is still waterproof and great for layering.

We will be joking our travel friends Jerry and Helen. Jerry and George like to get in all sorts of mischief, so stay tuned.

If anyone has questions regarding Mariner or the ports, just shout out. I will check in every day if Internet allows.

Look forward to your posts. Our first cruise in 2003 was to Alaska. We are on Mariner Vancouver to San Fransisco August 24th.

So look forward to your travel experiences. Have a great cruise, and a very happy anniversary. Jean.

Hi Rachel - happy to know that you will soon be onboard the cruise that we cancelled (note: We leave for NYC tomorrow at 5:00 a.m.). We love visiting Alaska in May and actually feel that it is the best month of the year. The weather is usually good -- the people are actually happy to see tourists (unlike how they are in early September when they are sick of "us") Also, June - August in Alaska can be "stuffed" with children!!!:eek:

Enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Happy anniversary! I love me my RachelG blogs, but am especially looking forward to this one as we recently booked this itinerary for May, 2017. Have a fantastic time, and don't let George and Jerry be in the only ones to get into some mischief!

Rich

Congratulations on your anniversary and I hope you have a wonderful cruise! You have been so wonderful and helpful with all our questions about Regent and I can't wait to read your account of your journey. :)

We will actually be joining you in Seward and please absolutely let us know if our toddler is at all obnoxious!

May 18, 2016--embarkation in Vancouver BC

We awoke to an overcast but otherwise pleasant morning, with the projected high temp to be about 62F. A perfect day to go walking.

The plan for the morning was to go for a long walk in Stanley Park, Vancouver's huge city park, sort of like Central Park in NYC but more rustic. We took a taxi to the very far north end at Prospect Point, then hiked back through lush northern rainforest. The wild raspberries are just getting ripe, so we had plenty to snack on as we walked. Very few other people out this early.

Everything was great until George decided to go off piste to get down to the trail beside the sea wall. I took two steps, slipped, and ended up going down the entire sloop on my backside. Fortunately no injuries, but I was not happy.

We hiked further until we reached the aquarium. Expensive but we decided to go in. We got to see lots of fish, some really cute otters, and the sea lion show.

Hiking further back toward town, we grabbed a cab, picked up our luggage, picking up Jerry and Helen, and headed to the ship.

Checking in was like nothing I have ever encountered before on any cruise line, but it is the fault of the port authority, not Regent. They had all the regent passengers going inside the same terminal as those from a huge Holland America ship. There were separate sections for Regent and Holland America, but we had to wait over 30 minutes. Fortunately there were chairs to sit down in. After checking in with Regent, we were thrown back into the same lines as the Holland America passengers to go through security and US customs. There was no signage, and very little instructions as where to go. So little in fact that when we finally got on Mariner after 1 1/2 hours, the couple in front of us were told that they needed to be on the others ship. They actually were on Mariner, but obviously their key cards wouldn't work.

Lunch was back to normal for Regent. Leisurely in La Veranda. Poss (who is definitely NOT a geezer, even though she claimed to be) came by to introduce herself and her husband. Lovely couple.

After lunch, I was able to get our huge OBC applied to the paid extra excursions that I have already reserved. If that money is left over at the end of the cruise, they will give it back in cash.

Muster at 4. Beautiful sail away at 5:30. Lots of scenic views to enjoy as we sailed out.

We had dinner in Compass Rose. I had the mussels followed by a delicious Sicilian salad and scallops. Very good. I restricted my self to 1/2 of a bread salt torpedo, but it was really really yummy, and worth every calorie.

No show tonight. They are playing a movie but I will just watch in the cabin.

ad848429adecb1f727e0f3ba51479f85.jpg.

A pic from our hike in Stanley Park yesterday, posted mostly to shock everyone with how svelte George is looking these days.

A few random thoughts. Yesterday at muster drill, they asked how many were first time regent cruisers and how many were first time to Alaska. I was shocked because it was over 50%, probably closer to 75% for both.

Our cabin steward, Lester, is very responsive. When boarding, I always have a conference with the cabin steward or butler regarding how we like things--only water and Coke Zero in the fridge, extra water in the cabinet, etc etc. we came back from dinner, and everything was set perfectly with lots of extra water lined up n the cabinet, the fruit that George likes in the fruit plate. Sometimes it has taken days for me to get this straight. I am impressed.

Also our toilet would not flush last evening, as there was no vacuum. Being a marine toilet, it will not work at all if there is no vacuum. An engineer was sent up immediately and had it set straight in no time. The only consequence was that it gave me a weird dream. I dreamed that they came and installed a composting toilet, like you would see on a campground in the wilderness, in our bathroom. And I was trying to figure out how this would work on a ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by RachelG

Hi, Rachel

Hoping you guys have a wonderful cruise We just got off the Mariner in SF.

They were going to upgrade the WIFI. Wondering if you could comment on what you are experiencing .Wish I looked as good as George !!

John

Awful recent review of Mariner posted on CruiseCritic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=533106

Any comments from those on board? :confused:

I found it interesting that the reviewer had an awful time in Prime 7 but opted to 'shrug-it-off' and not to complain to Regent staff, but rather goes on-line to make a damning review :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for posting your live review, and hope you enjoy your special anniversary cruise. I too have been reading some terrible reviews on Cruise Critic, particularly about the state of the cabins onboard (or suites, or whatever cruise ships like to call them these days!). We are thinking of taking a Canada/New England cruise on board Mariner next year but we're having slight doubts now due to the reviews as there are rather a lot of negative comments. Any reassuring comments, or otherwise, that you can post will be gratefully received.

Glad you didn't sustain injury during your acrobatic routine in Stanley Park.

I found it interesting that the reviewer had an awful time in Prime 7 but opted to 'shrug-it-off' and not to complain to Regent staff, but rather goes on-line to make a damning review :rolleyes:

Agree with you Flossie. Staff would far rather guests mention this at the time, so the problem could be rectified accordingly. It's not fair of this reviewer to then write such a negative review while still on board ? I hope she comes back to update any improvement or change in her cruise experience? Jean.

Thanks for your real time review. I will be on the Mariner in late June and would like to know if you can include in your review the following items and would like to ask the following questions that you might be able to answer throughout the cruise.

1. Is it possible to post the daily passages - another thread had passages postings but the could not be seen because then file could not be opened. Post them as pictures or pdf file.

2. If you have a room with a bathtub, could you give the approximate dimensions of the tub. I have read posts that the headroom is not much - maybe 6' 2" or so. If you are in this type of room could you post a bathtub picture?

3. The names of the daily shows - we just got off the Oceania Marina and the company that does the shows for it also do it for Regent.

4. Do they have daily games (shuffleboard, golf putting, etc) organized by the staff and do they hand out points to be redeemed at the end of the cruise for prizes. The had this on Oceania - owned by the same parent company.

5. How extensive is the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Are there lines for getting food or is the buffet large enough to handle the peak traffic. Is it possible to post pictures of the buffet?

6. How warm is the pool. I like to swim but like water that is at least 85 F. Since the pool is out doors, I like warm water in the cool Alaska air.

7. If you go to the gym, could you tell me what weight training equipment is in place. I notice that the gym is not very big compared to other larger cruise ships.

Thanks, Rick

Hi there. I am onboard with Rachel. We are in concierge level cabin on deck 8 and I have looked and looked but cannot find any evidence of the filth and general nastiness experienced by the reviewer. My cabin/ suite is sparkling clean and perfectly adequate for our needs. Only been on one night so can't comment on Prime 7 service or food. I don't have a bathtub and never go anywhere near the fitness center so no help there. The pool is empty at the moment. They do have games and rewards for participating.the buffets are quite extensive: cooked to order eggs and omletes and the usual cereals, pastry, fruit, beans and tomatoes etc.... At lunch yesterday there were small cold sandwiches and salads and the pool grill had burgers, steaks, hot dogs.

------------------------

Helen

Thanks for your real time review. I will be on the Mariner in late June and would like to know if you can include in your review the following items and would like to ask the following questions that you might be able to answer throughout the cruise.

1. Is it possible to post the daily passages - another thread had passages postings but the could not be seen because then file could not be opened. Post them as pictures or pdf file.

2. If you have a room with a bathtub, could you give the approximate dimensions of the tub. I have read posts that the headroom is not much - maybe 6' 2" or so. If you are in this type of room could you post a bathtub picture?

3. The names of the daily shows - we just got off the Oceania Marina and the company that does the shows for it also do it for Regent.

4. Do they have daily games (shuffleboard, golf putting, etc) organized by the staff and do they hand out points to be redeemed at the end of the cruise for prizes. The had this on Oceania - owned by the same parent company.

5. How extensive is the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Are there lines for getting food or is the buffet large enough to handle the peak traffic. Is it possible to post pictures of the buffet?

6. How warm is the pool. I like to swim but like water that is at least 85 F. Since the pool is out doors, I like warm water in the cool Alaska air.

7. If you go to the gym, could you tell me what weight training equipment is in place. I notice that the gym is not very big compared to other larger cruise ships.

Thanks, Rick

Since I have just mastered picture posting (thanks to zqueeze 's expert help), here are the pictures of today's passages. Sorry if they are blurry. The seas are really rough right now.16c72332c60d24fc01bebdea070fc152.jpg690767d682ba8c7b88a78eea865453d2.jpg

Btw, internet speed is about the best I have ever experienced on regent. The login is different, even from 2 months ago, so I guess the upgrade has happened.

In answer to your other questions, we don't do the tub. We did one time only. It is a raised tub with a pretty big step down when you get out. Dangerous in my opinion, even for someone who is agile but short. The showers are nice and big with a large ledge that you can set stuff on, or use for sitting. As far as the tubs, I think anyone over about 6 ft tall would have to bend over to take a shower.

Tonight's show is Dancing in the Streets. The Jean Ann Ryan company are the entertainers, same as on Oceania, but we have been on Oceania once, and the shows were not the same (2 years ago).

They do have games, etc where you can collect points. I usually do trivia, and get points for that, but don't do the others.

The buffets for breakfast and lunch are large, probably not as large space wise as on the "O" class ships but with plenty of variety. I think the salad bar is much better on regent. I have never (in 15 regent cruises) had to wait in any significant line at the buffet. Usually you just go right up. You serve yourself for the most part, which I like .

Pool is currently empty. It would be unsafe to try to swim today as the seas are quite rough. There are two hot tubs which are filled and warm, but I haven't seen anyone in them. Only a couple of people out on the pool deck. It is too cool and windy, though the sun is out.

I don't go to the gym onboard, as I prefer to exercise outdoors, but I have been in it. There is a fairly good variety of weight training equipment, but no really heavy free weights. I think they would be a safety hazard on a ship. There are handweights up to about 50 lbs I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read the review. I have seen no dirt anywhere onboard. There is some carpet separating in our cabin, and the curtains look frayed, I think because they tend to get stuck in the sliding doors when it is opened and closed. Our bed is great, but the couch is very lumpy and has seen better days.

All the higher end suites got a makeover last year, as did the public areas. The rest of the cabins really could use a refresh. Hopefully this is planned for soon.

Haven't been to P7 yet, but if the food presented was that bad, why not bring it up at the time rather than go posting about it online.