Just back from the 10 day Mariner in Alaska....

Shippy

Absolutely fantastic cruise.

Only disappointment was Prime 7.

Shared table for 8 seated at 7pm. Main coarse arrived at 9 pm, some cooked wrong.

When one lady questioned why the creamed spinach was not hot, the waiter replied that the cream is cold when added (?)

We left at 9:30 to catch the show and the dessert menu had not yet been shown to the table. I am sure this experience was not for all but everyone we spoke to,even those at tables for 4 had the same wait time.

Signatures was a great surprise. Fabulous with incredible service.

Had a category A. Cabin was great. Changed rooms at the last minute so we would not have to step into a tub for a shower. The stand alone showers are the absolute best at sea. They replaced the tubs so take up the same amount of room. Nice bench inside.

The free internet service had started & it was fast.

If you enter the Laveranda restaurant from the right side of the pool, you will not miss the smoothie bar in the morning. In that same area is the incredible ice cream bar in the afternoon. Do not think this area is just for hamburgers & hot dogs in the afternoon. Some times they are barbecuing chicken & steaks.

The breakfast in LaVeranda was great...not a typical buffet. At the omelet station you can order things like eggs benedict, waffles, pancakes & the incredible swedish pancakes which I had several time.

Cleanest ship and amazingly you never see anyone cleaning. Not even carts in the hallways.

I just finished this 10 day cruise as well. Almost everything was excellent with a couple of exceptions. The service in Signatures was sub-par and not what I have come to expect from Regent. I commented on it via the mid-cruise comment card, and the staff reached out to me to discuss it. I appreciated that.

Most glaring was a distinct slow-down in service from the bar staff. It was not unusual to wait 20-plus minutes before we would be approached for a drink order. This occurred in all lounges and the theater, but not in eating venues. Also, on three separate occasions, a drink ordered never arrived. Once each in the theater, Horizon Lounge, and the Observation Lounge. I found this to be a distinct change from previous Regent cruises, where after a couple of days, the staff would know one's drink preference, and serve it automatically. Often there would only be 3 wait staff in a venue like the Observation Lounge in the early evening-a time when it is most crowded.

I'll be interested in learning if others are having the same sort of experience.

Seems there can be many different experiences on the same cruise.

We never had trouble getting a drink at any bar or the theater.

At the coffee bar you could get things like Baileys & coffee but not wine or cocktails.

We thought Signatures was great and we are not really French food eaters.

I had the lamb chops & my husband had the steak,

The waiters line up behind each guest at the same time to serve all at once.

I have only had this kind of service once before...that was at the Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

We also enjoyed all our free excursions although we heard complaints from others about theirs...be careful what you pick !

We were on the Mariner 4/8 to 4/20 and found the bar service very weak for a luxury line - long waits, Grey Goose and Makers Mark were in closed cabinets below the other liquor bottles on display, no fresh juices, and honestly not a real welcome feeling.

We enjoyed our meals in Prime 7 and Signatures - excellent food and service.

We were on the Mariner from 1/13-4/20. There was a very occasional lapse in service but that would be expected over 98 days. We felt that the crew took a genuine interest in us as passengers and the service definitely met our expectations. It is amazing how they <all> seem to remember our names and preferences - some crew recognized us by name from our Voyager trip last March, as well as asking if we 'still preferred xxxx..'

We were on the Mariner from 1/13-4/20. There was a very occasional lapse in service but that would be expected over 98 days. We felt that the crew took a genuine interest in us as passengers and the service definitely met our expectations. It is amazing how they <all> seem to remember our names and preferences - some crew recognized us by name from our Voyager trip last March, as well as asking if we 'still preferred xxxx..'

So you must have been on a South America circumnavigation? How was it? I aspire to this--we're doing the first leg to Lima next January and I'm very much looking forward to it, but I know we won't want to get off!

South America was great, though I'm sure you've read the posts and reviews regarding the various "challenges" we experienced during the voyage. The Amazon was amazing...not what I expected but I suppose I may have been a bit geographically-challenged beforehand. No, we did NOT want to get off...we were originally booked for just the 72-night grand voyage but got an "extend your voyage" offer to stay for the next 14 nights in the Caribbean...then after THAT was paid we got another offer to extend again for the next 12 nights for the Beemuda trip. Let's just say that these were offers we could not refuse as the price was right 😉 .

Next stop....Navigator this December (Capetown to Miami, preceded by the safari).

The thread about bar service reminded me that I wanted to ask-- when everything is included, to people tip bar staff in cash or not tip at all?

Hi, JennAngel9. All tipping is included as part of your cruise fare. However, there are many schools of thought regarding tipping which will open up a can of worms whenever discussed. the bottom line is:

-Tipping is included and not expected.

-Outstanding service can be recognized by donating to the crew welfare fund.

Z and TB

Absolutely fantastic cruise.

Only disappointment was Prime 7.

Shared table for 8 seated at 7pm. Main coarse arrived at 9 pm, some cooked wrong.

When one lady questioned why the creamed spinach was not hot, the waiter replied that the cream is cold when added (?)

We left at 9:30 to catch the show and the dessert menu had not yet been shown to the table. I am sure this experience was not for all but everyone we spoke to,even those at tables for 4 had the same wait time.

Signatures was a great surprise. Fabulous with incredible service.

Had a category A. Cabin was great. Changed rooms at the last minute so we would not have to step into a tub for a shower. The stand alone showers are the absolute best at sea. They replaced the tubs so take up the same amount of room. Nice bench inside.

The free internet service had started & it was fast.

If you enter the Laveranda restaurant from the right side of the pool, you will not miss the smoothie bar in the morning. In that same area is the incredible ice cream bar in the afternoon. Do not think this area is just for hamburgers & hot dogs in the afternoon. Some times they are barbecuing chicken & steaks.

The breakfast in LaVeranda was great...not a typical buffet. At the omelet station you can order things like eggs benedict, waffles, pancakes & the incredible swedish pancakes which I had several time.

Cleanest ship and amazingly you never see anyone cleaning. Not even carts in the hallways.

I was also on the same cruise and I agree with Shippy it was a fantastic cruise.

The ship was spotless the food in Signatures was great and we liked it better than Prime 7. The food in Compass Rose was also great and you could request just about anything with 24 hour notice. Never had a wait for any drink or champagne and all bartenders were pleasant and any staff we encountered were happy and pleasant. Our only complaint was some of the music they played, Enjoyed La Veranda for breakfast outside weather permitting. Can't wait for explorer in December.

The thread about bar service reminded me that I wanted to ask-- when everything is included, to people tip bar staff in cash or not tip at all?

Mainly "not at all". Some do, but most don't. If you want to express thanks to the crew in general, contribute to the Welfare Fund at the end of the cruise, that wy everybody benefits, not just the "front of house" staff.

Please don't tip at all. All included is what it says!!

As a Brit I get frustrated by this, one of the reasons we love Regent is to get away from this culture, Paid up front for service, no need to get into this now 'US ' game of the backhander and the expectation of it being paid. We love the states having visited a dozen times and not just the main tourist areas, however the tipping has got out of hand 15-20% now not unusual, the same on other cruise lines (some) where a tip is added for soft drinks and water every time, which just takes away enjoyment /relaxation and leads to rum-running onto the ship etc. When you board Regent you don't need to sign for everything and then have the anxiety of the end of cruise a/c.

Please don't tip at all. All included is what it says!!

As a Brit I get frustrated by this, one of the reasons we love Regent is to get away from this culture, Paid up front for service, no need to get into this now 'US ' game of the backhander and the expectation of it being paid. We love the states having visited a dozen times and not just the main tourist areas, however the tipping has got out of hand 15-20% now not unusual, the same on other cruise lines (some) where a tip is added for soft drinks and water every time, which just takes away enjoyment /relaxation and leads to rum-running onto the ship etc. When you board Regent you don't need to sign for everything and then have the anxiety of the end of cruise a/c.

Great post and very true. I wonder why there has been so many "tipping" threads lately. It sounds as if there are more people trying luxury cruising for the first time and are determined not to let their habit of tipping on mainstream cruise lines go.

Great post and very true. I wonder why there has been so many "tipping" threads lately. It sounds as if there are more people trying luxury cruising for the first time and are determined not to let their habit of tipping on mainstream cruise lines go.

Have you ever thought that "some" people maybe just want to give a little extra to the staff that have gone beyond their jobs and added that little bit extra to make your holiday special?.....I think you have as we know (you have said here) you have given gifts to members of staff and tipped your butler. :roll eyes:

It has been previously said that if you wish to tip over the (non tipping) cruise that you should donate to the cruise fund, i agree with that but it's at your own discretion however you want to do it and to publicly say you gifted staff but then say you shouldn't tip seems odd.

I also fail to see why the tipping on the mainstream cruises bares any resemblance on Regent. We know what we are getting (tips, excursions, drinks etc) so why would anyone on the mainstream cruises that thought tipping was an issue Book Regent if they have t do the same...very bizarre! :confused:

Have you ever thought that "some" people maybe just want to give a little extra to the staff that have gone beyond their jobs and added that little bit extra to make your holiday special?.....I think you have as we know (you have said here) you have given gifts to members of staff and tipped your butler. :roll eyes:

It has been previously said that if you wish to tip over the (non tipping) cruise that you should donate to the cruise fund, i agree with that but it's at your own discretion however you want to do it and to publicly say you gifted staff but then say you shouldn't tip seems odd.

I also fail to see why the tipping on the mainstream cruises bares any resemblance on Regent. We know what we are getting (tips, excursions, drinks etc) so why would anyone on the mainstream cruises that thought tipping was an issue Book Regent if they have t do the same...very bizarre! :confused:

What I said, in essence, is that there are too many tipping threads - something that we saw little of in the past. I do not want to turn this into yet another tipping thread.

It is important to note, however, that Regent suggests donating to the crew fund. Posters are simply sharing Regent's policy.:cool:

What I said, in essence, is that there are too many tipping threads - something that we saw little of in the past. I do not want to turn this into yet another tipping thread.

It is important to note, however, that Regent suggests donating to the crew fund. Posters are simply sharing Regent's policy.:cool:

Yet, still contradicting yourself :roll eyes:

Yet, still contradicting yourself :roll eyes:

Please, let this rest. Unless you know us or were on the ship when we gave a travel Scrabble set to a long time crew member/friend, you would not understand. Bringing this up repeatedly, IMO, does not help those that are new to Regent. We follow Regent's guidelines because it is the right thing to do. There is a "balance" that Regent creates on the ship and I feel that tipping and wearing clothing that is specifically against Regent's guidelines upsets this balance.

In any case, this is off topic. I do love hearing about the OPs report on their Mariner cruise. Many people are very happy that the Mariner has returned to Alaska -- it is the perfect ship for Alaska.

Please, let this rest. Unless you know us or were on the ship when we gave a travel Scrabble set to a long time crew member/friend, you would not understand. Bringing this up repeatedly, IMO, does not help those that are new to Regent. We follow Regent's guidelines because it is the right thing to do. There is a "balance" that Regent creates on the ship and I feel that tipping and wearing clothing that is specifically against Regent's guidelines upsets this balance.

In any case, this is off topic. I do love hearing about the OPs report on their Mariner cruise. Many people are very happy that the Mariner has returned to Alaska -- it is the perfect ship for Alaska.

My problem is with the double standards, you either have one view or another, i can't see where one starts and one ends. Of course there is a balance on standards but "in my opinion" you seem to have varying view on things and recently you have made mistakes on some threads that were incorrect.

My problem is with the double standards, you either have one view or another, i can't see where one starts and one ends. Of course there is a balance on standards but "in my opinion" you seem to have varying view on things and recently you have made mistakes on some threads that were incorrect.

Really don't want to keep this off topic. I can say that while some people (not pointing fingers at anyone) are stubborn in their views, I am more open minded. I do not believe in dogmatic adherence to precedence and I do have varying views on things - depending upon the circumstances. IMO, this is not a double standard. In terms of mistakes (assume you mean that I posted CR when I meant LV), no one is perfect.

Last, in terms of tipping, this thread shows how someone new to Regent thought that tipping bartenders for drinks might be the right thing to do (as it is on other lines). If posters have not read Regent's guidelines, they could walk around tipping everyone. Perhaps there is one group of posters that would prefer Regent to be like non-luxury cruise lines..... however, there is quite a large group of us that prefer to simply respect Regent's guidelines.

Note: I do tip drivers and tour operators (as Regent suggests).

Really don't want to keep this off topic. I can say that while some people (not pointing fingers at anyone) are stubborn in their views, I am more open minded. I do not believe in dogmatic adherence to precedence and I do have varying views on things - depending upon the circumstances. IMO, this is not a double standard. In terms of mistakes (assume you mean that I posted CR when I meant LV), no one is perfect.

Last, in terms of tipping, this thread shows how someone new to Regent thought that tipping bartenders for drinks might be the right thing to do (as it is on other lines). If posters have not read Regent's guidelines, they could walk around tipping everyone. Perhaps there is one group of posters that would prefer Regent to be like non-luxury cruise lines..... however, there is quite a large group of us that prefer to simply respect Regent's guidelines.

You know what?... i really can't be bothered either, maybe someday, like a weekend or such, you should look back at some of your posts and look at them from a different perspective....although, maybe you wouldn't learn much!

Apologies for hijacking the thread. :p

Last, in terms of tipping, this thread shows how someone new to Regent thought that tipping bartenders for drinks might be the right thing to do (as it is on other lines). If posters have not read Regent's guidelines, they could walk around tipping everyone. Perhaps there is one group of posters that would prefer Regent to be like non-luxury cruise lines..... however, there is quite a large group of us that prefer to simply respect Regent's .

Guidelines are not rules. They are there to guide and suggest. We have sailed premium and luxury cruise lines and we respect and acknowledge good service when we get this, and it is our own preference to tip good service. Personal choice is down to each individual. Jean.

Guidelines are not rules. They are there to guide and suggest. We have sailed premium and luxury cruise lines and we respect and acknowledge good service when we get this, and it is our own preference to tip good service. Personal choice is down to each individual. Jean.

Many Regent "guidelines" are rules. They just have a more polite way of saying it. If Regent wanted guests to "acknowledge good service" by tipping, they would say so. Instead they ask (since they cannot demand) that "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund ". Enough said (and in Regent's words).

Edited by Travelcat2

Many Regent "guidelines" are rules. They just have a more polite way of saying it. If Regent wanted guests to "acknowledge good service" by tipping, they would say so. Instead they ask (since they cannot demand) that "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund ". Enough said (and in Regent's words).

Agree enough said its not going to change my opinions, Jean.

Agree enough said its not going to change my opinions, Jean.

Well, at the risk of ruining this thread further, I hope you limit your tipping to your cabin steward or perhaps a maitre'd or favorite waitstaff at the end of a cruise. Tipping bartenders every time they mix you a drink would, on Regent, seem absurdly out of place.

As for the spat going on, someone famous said, "Consistency is my most elusive goal". Opinions can swing around daily, like a cruise ship at anchor in a pleasant lagoon.

Wendy,

That is what I do if I am on for a longish trip - my cabin steward, a favorite maitre'd and favorite waitstaff at the end of a cruise. Plus something for the Crew Fund.

I'm a long-time Regent cruiser and that has worked well for me over the years.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser