Major flight delays due to TSA shortage?

FLUFFLULA

We've been seeing major flight delays of several hours and travelers missing flights in major airports due to the shortage of TSA agents and other TSA problems. Has anyone experienced these delays? Is what we're seeing on TV that big a problem or is it sensationalized for the news?

We have a cruise coming up in July and we fly to and from Atlanta which is one of the airports mentioned in the TV news stories, so we're concerned about what to expect for our flights.

Last week we flew from Syracuse to San Antonio and back - each time there were well over 100 people in the regular lines - moving very slowly - probably taking them well over an hour - we have Global Entry Precheck and had just a dozen or so ahead of us - still taking close to 15 minutes ------- it's a mess.

We've been seeing major flight delays of several hours and travelers missing flights in major airports due to the shortage of TSA agents and other TSA problems. Has anyone experienced these delays? Is what we're seeing on TV that big a problem or is it sensationalized for the news?

We have a cruise coming up in July and we fly to and from Atlanta which is one of the airports mentioned in the TV news stories, so we're concerned about what to expect for our flights.

Are you originating in ATL? If so plan on being there at least 3 hours early, it is not sensationalized, that is how things are now. If you are just connecting in ATL, you don't need to be concerned about it at all. You need to see how long the delay is at your originating airport. At my home airport the lines are never more than about 10 -12 minutes and that is at the busiest time, usually it is less than 5 even without precheck.

I would be concerned about getting back home because MIA and FLL are both slow anyway and this is going to make it worse. Plan on being at either of those airports 3 hours early too.

Edited by zqvol

Are you originating in ATL? If so plan on being there at least 3 hours early, it is not sensationalized, that is how things are now. If you are just connecting in ATL, you don't need to be concerned about it at all. You need to see how long the delay is at your originating airport. At my home airport the lines are never more than about 10 -12 minutes and that is at the busiest time, usually it is less than 5 even without precheck.

I would be concerned about getting back home because MIA and FLL are both slow anyway and this is going to make it worse. Plan on being at either of those airports 3 hours early too.

Although we live in Alabama, we fly out of Atlanta because it is usually cheaper. We heard the recommendation to be at the airport 3 hours early but some reports sounded like pax were waiting much longer than that and often missing flights. Our cruise departs from San Juan but I haven't heard how that airport is doing with the issues, and how that might impact our return flight to Atlanta.

Atlanta airport is suffering much longer delays than usual right now because one of the main security checkpoints is "offline" while new (more efficient?) equipment is being installed.

Whoever made the decision to take one checkpoint offline during the build-up to the busiest travel season is nuts. But whatever. Atlanta is always busy.

(As an aside, I don't see why TSA delays would be leading to flight delays. Are flights actually waiting for passengers to get through security??? :cool:)

I flew out of Newark last week and there were very definitely a shortage of TSA agents. There were many closed lanes of X-ray machines with no agents at them. At one point, my line wound past a crew only entrance and there was a flight crew standing and waiting to go in, with no TSA agent in sight. We arrived at the airport 2 hours early for our domestic flight and got to the gate with 15 minutes to spare.

My husband flew Dallas Love - Houston - Austin - Dallas Love and said the TSA lines were a complete nightmare last week. He is pre-check, so my husband got the "shorter" security line (not all that fast either), but his co-worker had to do the regular line - an hour and a half plus. So yes, there is a definite problem with the TSA security lines at our nations airports.

(As an aside, I don't see why TSA delays would be leading to flight delays. Are flights actually waiting for passengers to get through security??? :cool:)

While the airlines are not directly responsible for the TSA delays, they must be aware of the situation; and, if they have a flight ready to leave but with an unusual number of no-shows and they have the option to keep a plane at the gate for a few minutes, I believe that they would be inclined to delay roll-back - as long as it would not seriously jeopardize chances for on-time arrival at destination. There is always a bit of wiggle room.

While the airlines are not directly responsible for the TSA delays, they must be aware of the situation; and, if they have a flight ready to leave but with an unusual number of no-shows and they have the option to keep a plane at the gate for a few minutes, I believe that they would be inclined to delay roll-back - as long as it would not seriously jeopardize chances for on-time arrival at destination. There is always a bit of wiggle room.

Actually Congress is mainly responsible for the delays. As I am sure that everyone knows, there is a fee of $5.60 per passenger that is supposed to go to the TSA to provide security. In 2015, the TSA collected 3.5 billion dollars from this fee. However as per Congressional mandate, the TSA has been forced to transfer 13 billion dollars of the TSA security fee back to the treasury of offset the federal deficit.

Bet that you did not know that a portion of the security fee is not being spent on security.

DON

i think passenger/flyers are also responsible.. we always go to the airport at least 3 hours in advance... if travelers planned for possible long lines and book flights accordingly... individuals would have a lot less problems.

We also try to book connections so we have at least 3 hours between connections.

Doing so makes it a lot better.

Oh sure, a couple of minutes, maybe. But the OP originally said "major flight delays of several hours". Can't see that happening as a result of TSA delays. Other problems, yes. But flights are not going to wait several hours for people standing in security lines.

We've been seeing major flight delays of several hours and travelers missing flights in major airports due to the shortage of TSA agents and other TSA problems.

You and I could take spots on the TSA line to get things moving faster with no loss of security ;)

There have been reports around the 'net and news outlets of a kind of TSA "slowdown" to get passengers upset and to have all those pictures of snaking lines making headlines. TSA is trying to get more money out of (or back from) Congress to hire more clerks…

Add that to the always-long lines in the vacation periods due to just more people and people unfamiliar with, or clueless to, the correct way to go through the indignities of the TSA checkpoints.

I agree with a few others that yes, the TSA lines are longer than usual, but no, it is NOT causing flight delays.

We just flew from Ohio to LAX, through Chicago Midway. Our little Dayton airport was fine -- even a "long" line there is less than 20 minutes.

For LAX, my husband and I have precheck and essentially walked through. My daughter did not, and it probably took her 40 minutes. This was at 5 am on a Monday.

Get to ATL 3 hours early and you'll be fine.

To the OP and anyone else....

Mayor Kasseem Reed fired the Hartsfield-Jackson chief today. One of the reasons was the security debacle.

I have been in both ATL and DFW in the past week. ATL has essentially one/two entry points for domestic flights (SJU is considered a domestic flight.) DFW on the other hand has multiple entry points at it separate terminals. The ATL TSA shutdown of one checkpoint is contributing to the slow down but lines have continued to increase as air passengers have increased. I would not hesitate to plan on 3 hours at ATL even with Global Entry/TSA Pre.

It's one thing to make it through security, it's another to get to the appropriate concourse.

Most of my recent flying has been in airports in Europe and there were no delays. They had lots of staff. I had a connecting flight in Atlanta and things were handled very well there also. We had to go through customs (having been in Europe), which was no problem and the transfer of checked baggage was also very easy.

No problem European airports: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Warsaw and Rzeszow

Although we live in Alabama, we fly out of Atlanta because it is usually cheaper. We heard the recommendation to be at the airport 3 hours early but some reports sounded like pax were waiting much longer than that and often missing flights. Our cruise departs from San Juan but I haven't heard how that airport is doing with the issues, and how that might impact our return flight to Atlanta.

San Juan can be a zoo at any time, and not just with security but with check in and the agriculture line. The key to San Juan is to use a porter who will get you to the from of both the agriculture line and the check in line. Security has always been slow in San Juan but not like ATL

There's more at play here than just a shortage of TSA agents. Airline baggage fees are also to blame as are clueless passengers. The summer is the worst with families traveling with small children. Orlando is the worst :eek:

I will be traveling several times in the next few months so I have been worried about these lines. There is a App called "My TSA" and you can check wait times , also I follow my local airport on Twitter and they will usually post things like what long term lots are full, wait times etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most of my recent flying has been in airports in Europe and there were no delays. They had lots of staff. I had a connecting flight in Atlanta and things were handled very well there also. We had to go through customs (having been in Europe), which was no problem and the transfer of checked baggage was also very easy.

No problem European airports: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Warsaw and Rzeszow

What you experienced in Europe has no connection to what people are experiencing in US airports. Going through Immigration and Customs and putting your luggage on the transfer belt has nothing to do with domestic flights and the TSA. Those functions are done by an entirely different department of the US government and transfers are done by the airline staff.

When you came back into the US via ATL, your experience was tempered by how many flights came in at the same time your flight did. The TSA portal at the arrivals hall is a very different experience than the checkpoints upstairs at the Departures area.

Atlanta airport is suffering much longer delays than usual right now because one of the main security checkpoints is "offline" while new (more efficient?) equipment is being installed.

Whoever made the decision to take one checkpoint offline during the build-up to the busiest travel season is nuts. But whatever. Atlanta is always busy.

To the OP and anyone else....

Mayor Kasseem Reed fired the Hartsfield-Jackson chief today. One of the reasons was the security debacle.

I have been in both ATL and DFW in the past week. ATL has essentially one/two entry points for domestic flights (SJU is considered a domestic flight.) DFW on the other hand has multiple entry points at it separate terminals. The ATL TSA shutdown of one checkpoint is contributing to the slow down but lines have continued to increase as air passengers have increased. I would not hesitate to plan on 3 hours at ATL even with Global Entry/TSA Pre.

It's one thing to make it through security, it's another to get to the appropriate concourse.

The last update that I have seen reports that the security checkpoint in Atlanta that was closed for some kind of re-tooling is scheduled to re-open on May 24, 2016. Let us hope that is the case - I know that last Monday was a zoo at the airport.