Tortola Question

The Norwegian Cruise (10 Day Caribbean on the the Gem) we booked has a half day in Tortola BVI. 7am-1pm. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do an excursion to the Baths in Virgin Gorda?

Yes, it's possible. But with that short port stop, I would not book a private excursion. Book through the cruise line.

7-1 in Tortola??!! That's a shame.

Same response as the others.

It's a bit of a gamble taking the ferry to VG, because if there's a problem (weather, mechanical, whatever), there's no Plan B. And that risk is magnified with just a half-day in port.

Which means the possibility of a long swim to the ship's next port ;)

One of the rare occasions that I'd recommend a ship-sponsored tour. Then getting you back to the ship is their problem.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks. Anyone that has been to the baths, would you say it is okay to take kids? Ages will be 6 and 2. I really really want to go, but between the timing of a half day and my young children, I am just not sure.

If you book through the ship, they will have a minimum age. I would not take a 2 year old.

That short of a port stop we either take a ship's tour or simply grab a bite to eat if we've been to the port before. Any beach excursions available?

Parts of the trail to the Baths include a ladder in one place (with a low ceiling) and a steep climb, requiring a (slimy) rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't take my 2 yr old to the baths. It's slippery and rocky. Amazing though!

Idk if you will have enough time with the ferry and everything. We really enjoyed snorkeling there and spent as much time as we could.

For a beach day on Tortola without the huge waves, go to Cane Garden Bay. There are restaurants and an ice cream place nearby and the beach is normally quite calm with gentle waves unlike the other beaches were there is some pretty big surf. Cane Garden Bay Beach is about 25 minutes away from the port by taxi.

BTW, we've done the Baths, it is awesome. However, you need to take anti-seasickness medicine for the ferry ride as half the people on our ferry were hanging over the back barfing. Once at the Baths, there is no way for a 2 year old who is not able to navigate down a steep uneven rocky trail with no handrails, rock climb on slippery rocks with a rope, squeeze through crevices and wade through knee high water to enjoy this. There's no way you could do this carrying your child either. Also there is only a bar on The Bath's beach - nothing on the Devil's Bay side including restrooms. Wait until the 2 year old is school age where they can do this sort of active activity safely and then they and you will be able to enjoy this excursion. Climbing out of the Baths, there is the Devils Bay Beach trail which is not quite as steep, but it is very hot and uncomfortable with lots of cactus on each side and a very uneven footpath.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Thanks for the feedback. Cane Garden Bay sounds perfect. We'll get a chance to do the Baths in the future, hopefully when we have more time on Tortola! How about St. Maarten, what would anyone recommend there; we'll have the same two year old in tow:)

Thanks for the feedback. Cane Garden Bay sounds perfect. We'll get a chance to do the Baths in the future, hopefully when we have more time on Tortola! How about St. Maarten, what would anyone recommend there; we'll have the same two year old in tow:)

Walk off the ship and go to the left to the water taxi over to the town. Take the water taxi round trip. This takes you to the beach, restaurants, bars, and you can walk into town for shopping. Simple and fun and not so far away from the ship!

Plenty of vans at the pier for inexpensive transfers to Cane Garden Beach. A pleasant 20 minute drive over the spine of the island.

JB :)

Pleasant? Perhaps for a roller coaster addict. It's steep and windy, hold tight to those kiddos.