Sea Sick Patches for Seniors

Haroldnca

Hello everyone. I'm going on a cruise in the fall with my mother who is 70 years old. I know she gets motion sickness so I suggested a sea sick patch from her doctor. Her doctor wouldn't prescribe it to her because of her age. Has anyone over 65 had a bad experience with the patches? Any suggestion on what I could get for my mom?

Some people have bad side effects from the patch and others have no effects at all.

I could not use the patch due to extreme, extreme dry mouth and effect on my vision.

I would ask her doctor about over the counter Bonine, which can be taken the night before boarding the ship and every night thereafter.

At her age if the doctors says no to the patch I would not risk it.

Edited by GTO-Girl

OP, that's a wise physician. Lots of side effects and adverse reactions that exacerbate commonly occurring age related medical conditions.

I know smaller people that cut them in half.

NO, NO, NO! That is dangerous and also against the manufacturer's instructions. It cuts the reservoir in half, all the liquid medication spills out. There is nothing in the part you stick onto your skin and perhaps way too much on your skin and absorbed. Think about it, three days worth of a potent drug in 10 - 15 minutes.

Edited by CPT Trips

Buy ginger tablets and/or candied ginger. She can use that any time and all the time.

Take bonine or dramamine IF NEEDED! I am the same age, have always been prone to motion sickness and I still don't take medication "just in case". The ginger helps and if the ships moves a lot, I resort to over counter medication.

MIL had horrible reaction to the patch that continued a few days after their 3day cruise.

Does she know what her triggers are? Everyone is different. What can trigger it in a car can be way different than on a ship or boat.

Ginger -pills, candied, tea, etc

Tart green apples

Clear soda

Soda crackers, saltines

Raisins help some people- usually found in the morning next to the oatmeal

Go outside and look at the horizon.

Pharmacist or Dr can help her with drug interactions. (That's the issue with Rx by mail, harder to catch drug interactions.)

Edited by SadieN

Hello everyone. I'm going on a cruise in the fall with my mother who is 70 years old. I know she gets motion sickness so I suggested a sea sick patch from her doctor. Her doctor wouldn't prescribe it to her because of her age. Has anyone over 65 had a bad experience with the patches? Any suggestion on what I could get for my mom?

Bonine should work without all the side effects. For most people (Not all) the patch is over kill. Have her check with her MD about Bonine or other OTC meds, she should be careful as she doesn't want to have a drug interaction with something else she may be taking. BTW unless she has mental issues she should be very capable of handling this herself.

I know OP means well but sometimes in our zeal to be protective of our parents we forget that they can take care of there own affairs. (If there are reasons like some type of dementia that is different) 70 is not old, mom should be able to handle this herself.

Edited by zqvol

Transderm Scop (the patches) has a pretty powerful drug as its active ingredient. Scopolamine has lots of potential side-effects...some of which become more pronounced as folks age. . One great example is hallucinations (we know of a case where an elderly lady was found wondering the corridors late at night....totally nude!). Even the manufacturer warns about prescribing for the elderly. Scopolamine also can impact other medications, and since we seniors tend to take other meds...the physician has to also weigh this issue. We think the OP should not be looking to CC to overrule her Mother's own physician.

We would also add (because of another posting) that the manufacturer cautions about ever cutting the patch in half! At one point in my life I was a Paramedic....and many of my emergency calls involved drug interactions and other drug related complications...many of which resulted from folks trying to play doctor. While any drug reaction can be dangerous, the danger increases with age where more caution is indicated.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I know smaller people that cut them in half.

Firstly, I agree with others here. Follow the doctor's instructions, but here are two thoughts to discuss with the doctor:

1) you can reduce the dosage of the epidermal patch by first applying a small adhesive bandage (band-aid if you wish) then applying the anti-motion sickness patch partly over the first bandage, moving the patch on or off to decrease or increase the contact with the skin. Never cut the patch in half.

2) there are pressure point wrist bandages that do not have any medicine that work on some people. They are available in pharmacies. (brand names include Sea-band, Psiband, and others)

I was going to recommend sea bands, the kids and I use them for traveling. I still get queasy on really windy roads but at least I can make it through most without stopping to hurl. Without them I have to stop even when I'm driving on some of our trips. So they definitely help. Bonine works well for the kids also and works for 24 hrs without drowsiness, works much better than Dramamine for our family. I'd check with the Dr. and make sure it's ok.

You may find she doesn't need either. As easily as I get car sick I don't get sick on a cruise much at all. The only time I get sea sick on a cruise is in really rough seas when we hit a storm and even then I've only had to put my bands on once. It effects everyone differently so maybe Mom will get lucky and not need anything.

Bonine can have serious side effects in those over 65. I would recommend either using the pressure bands, some of the remedies suggested by Sadie, and/or checking with her physician.

Are you certain she will even need sea sickness medication?

Have her check with her MD about Bonine or other OTC meds, she should be careful as she doesn't want to have a drug interaction with something else she may be taking. BTW unless she has mental issues she should be very capable of handling this herself.

I agree with both of zqvol's ideas here.

Unless the OP's mother is confused, she can handle this herself - and the right way to do it is with with her doctor's advice.

At 74, I would be highly displeased if any of my children assumed responsibility for doing what I am completely capable of doing myself.

It depends on her Mom, I know my Mom would want me to handle it. She knows I've cruised before and I know what works and doesn't work for seasickness so she'd say you figure it out. She would not be offended at all if I went online and asked about what she should take, she would be telling me to go online and ask what she should take. She wouldn't do it herself. Otherwise she'd just say well maybe I shouldn't go since I might get sick card. Some of us have Moms that make us do everything for them lol

The key is clearing any med with the Dr. due to her age and any drug interactions.

I think the first question here is really, where are you and your mom cruising? If it is the Caribbean, your mom will almost certainly NOT need anything for seasickness in most cases. The same is true for Med cruises that originate in the Med - such as Barcelona, Rome, Naples, Portugal etc. Bring along some Bonine (if it is OK with her doctor) but your mom should ONLY take it if needed and probably, it won't be.

Cruises where you would be more likely to need seasickness medication:

Alaska, out of Vancouver or Seattle or terminate in these cities - no way to know until the day you go. Either it will be needed or not.

Cruises out of Southampton that go through the Bay of Biscaye - again, it may be perfectly calm or you may be in for a wild ride - no way to know until you go.

Cruises around Cape Horn.

Cruises going from Australia to New Zealand or vice versa.

Arctic cruises.

Cruises that include time spent in open ocean of the Pacific or Atlantic.

You don't mention where you are cruising, but if it is the Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa or even Port Canaveral or Puerto Rico or other Caribbean Islands, your mom is probably not going to need anything at all. Also, if you are sailing on big ships, then the need for medication may also be reduced. Another thing, choose a midship cabin and if no midship is available, choose a more forward cabin. The back of the ship gets more vibration and movement than midship which can be a problem for those prone to motion sickness. The good news is that if your mom does get seasick, she can always visit the doctor onboard. Seasickness is something they are highly competent in treating.

I agree with those that suggest taking ginger, but what I do is start taking ginger pills/capsules one month before the cruise. I take the dosage recommended on the bottle (usually two or three pills/capsules per day). After I board the ship, I take a Dramamine with lunch, because IMHO you should start taking Dramamine before you think that you need it. I keep taking ginger throughout the cruise and take one or two Dramamines per day. It works for me!

It depends on her Mom, I know my Mom would want me to handle it. She knows I've cruised before and I know what works and doesn't work for seasickness so she'd say you figure it out. She would not be offended at all if I went online and asked about what she should take, she would be telling me to go online and ask what she should take. She wouldn't do it herself. Otherwise she'd just say well maybe I shouldn't go since I might get sick card. Some of us have Moms that make us do everything for them lol

The key is clearing any med with the Dr. due to her age and any drug interactions.

I guess if that's the way your mother is, you'll have to do most of it. However, she is the one who will have to go to her doctor.

I am not an MD. I have never suffered motion sickness in any form (so far). So I am hardly a knowledgeable expert. But really? The medication is being denied because of age? There must be other health issues involved, other medications she is taking, etc. that you are not telling us about but which factor into her doc's decision. As a 72-year young person myself I find it hard to imagine being denied any medication due to my age.

By the way, I totally agree with others' suggestions. Unless you parent is suffering dementia and you are the legally recognized guardian, then you should probably back off and let them have their own discussion with the doctor. Or not. Their life, their cruise, their choices.

I am not an MD. I have never suffered motion sickness in any form (so far). So I am hardly a knowledgeable expert. But really? The medication is being denied because of age? There must be other health issues involved, other medications she is taking, etc. that you are not telling us about but which factor into her doc's decision. As a 72-year young person myself I find it hard to imagine being denied any medication due to my age.

Imagine it. Quite a number of drugs should be avoided by older adults. "The patch" is an Anticholinergic, a class of drugs that should be avoided according to gerontologists. http://www.americangeriatrics.org/files/documents/beers/FHATipMEDS.pdf

Imagine it. Quite a number of drugs should be avoided by older adults. "The patch" is an Anticholinergic, a class of drugs that should be avoided according to gerontologists. http://www.americangeriatrics.org/files/documents/beers/FHATipMEDS.pdf

Thanks for the link. What it tells me is that anybody should avoid pretty much all medication. A position I totally support - I avoid drugs. If things get bad I take comfort in what I learned in high school chemistry: alcohol is a solution.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Yes she'll just make me go with her LOL

She'll make you? For heaven's sake, you'e an adult, aren't you? And so is your mother.

Do you go to every doctor's appointment with her?

I guess she's been playing that card all your life.

Is it just the two of you going? If not, let her make an adult choice. 1. go to the doctor and get something for seasickness. or 2. Come on the cruise and feel seasick if the sea is rough. or 3.Choose not to come on the cruise.

If you really, truly want her to come on this cruise, she's not going to change her tactics now, so you'll have to make the appointment for her and go with her. No responsible doctor will prescribe for her if she isn't there.