Alaska 2017

HI- LOOKING FOR SOME RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

LOOKING TO BOOK ALASKA CRUISE FOR MAY 2017 HOPING TO INCORPORATE ANCHORAGE IF POSS AND DO SHORT ROCKIES TRIP...

SO RECOMMENDATIONS I AM LOOKING FOR ARE PARTICULAR SHIPS AND... CABINS FOR BEST VIEWS

WAS HOPING TO TRY OUT HAL - BUT PRICING HAS GOT TO COME INTO IT = CANNY SCOT HERE AND DRINKS ON YOUR AMERICAN SHIPS ARE A BIT PRICEY - ESPECIALLY THE MALTS - SO IF YOU CAN RECOMMEND DRINKS INC PACKAGE WITH GOOD SHIP AND BALCONY CABIN - I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL....

ALSO CAN YOU ADVISE IF ROCKIES ONLY AVAILABLE BY TRAIN NOW - OR DOES BUS STILL TOUR (PARENTS DID BUS MANY MOONS AGO - THOUGHT IT WAS GOOD AS STOPPED FOR VIEWS AND WILDLIFE PHOTOS) BUT ON RECENT SEARCH COULDN'T FIND - ANY ADVICE WELCOME

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU - THANKS IN ADVANCE.

HAGGIShunter66

Why are you writing in all caps? That is considered yelling at people!

Nice way to greet a newbie. It could have been handled a little nicer. Not everyone is computer savvy so please remember that. Maybe next time you do something for the first time and you chastised for doing it wrong, give that some thought.

HAGGIShunter66 - welcome to CC. You will find tons of answer to every question you have big or small. Starting here is a good beginning. Many people are experts on different cruise lines and will give you their perspective. We all have our favorite.

In my case, I am going to Alaska on Princess in August of 2017. I love their ships, decor etc Many people recommend Princess for Alaska. Sightseeing the fjords is amazing and Princess has access that others don't.

What rguy123 was trying to say, but came across a little rudely, is that when you type in all CAPS it is considered yelling on these kind of sites. It is also very difficult to read. Include paragraphs.

Lots of ships have "all you can drink" packages so if your looking for something in particular you should give the exact name. That way people can check when on the ship and see if it is available. That will help you choose.

Also, since you mentioned Anchorage your answers might center around that. I know that the cruise I'm taking doesn't go there but you can take the train into Canada. I've heard there is a bus as well. I can't help you in that area because it has been a while since I've been there and that wasn't my interest on that cruise.

Have fun planning!

Sorry for caps - laziness on my part -

thanks - notinterlynormal - We do hope to use Princess , but had them earmarked for another area. We are trying to use different cruises lines to compare , not really found one yet to tick all the boxes. British ships are great for us but not doing all the itineraries we need!

That said, having just been on NCL we were glad to have inclusive bar bill deal - comparison on drinks on British ships are $ almost double £ - . We are not big drinkers , but a dram- while on holiday - is a must, so inclusive drink packages are appealing.

With regards the cabin , I was actually looking for hints as to port /starboard/aft etc. Usually do mid/mid but some reviews are saying all the way to back is best. So just looking for other points of view on this.

Thanks again - and I will look again for the rockies bus.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We prefer port side. Many times that side of the ship faces the port. We book verandah cabins as we like to sit out on the verandah and people watch. We have also noticed that most captains have the port side face the glaciers the longest.

Aft cabins are not for us. I want to see where I am going -- not where I have been.

Drink packages are not for us. On HAL, each person over the age of 21 must buy the package. Other lines have different requirements so you need to check that out carefully. We do not drink enough to justify the price of the package.

thanks Crazy Kruizers - didn't realise HAL drinks package over 25 compulsary - so will look into that -

its good to hear other opinions on cabins too - wasn't sure about all the way back - however have sat at the back of the ship often and enjoyed !

Haggis, cabin location is a matter of personal preference. Many people like aft balconies. I don't get why so many people think they're a big deal. I prefer a side balcony. On an Alaska cruise, you may find you prefer to be up on deck for a more open view to take in the scenery.

I've never sailed HAL, but I can't imagine that everyone over 21 has to buy the drinks package. Many people don't drink, so that doesn't make sense. And what about alcoholics? I think what the PP is saying is that if one person in the cabin purchases it others over 21 in the same cabin must also purchase it.

Drink packages are not for us. On HAL, each person over the age of 21 must buy the package.

She didn't mean everyone on the shiphas to buy a package. She meant everyone in the same cabin. :D Think major lawsuits with the headline: Recovering alcoholics forced to drink into oblivion on HAL.