G-dmother named for Explorer

gnomie1

Today Regent announced that H.S.H. Princess Charlene of Monaco will be the the G-dmother for the Explorer. The christening will take place at a black tie gala on July 13, 2016 and the entertainment will be provided by Andrea Bocelli.

For those who do not keep up with the royalty hierarchy, Princess Charlene is the wife of Prince Albert II, son of Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly. At one time she was an Olympic swimmer for South Africa but did not medal.

I was surprised by this - when I had the opportunity to preview the Explorer one of the questions was who would we like to see be the G-dmother - as far as I can remember, no one mentioned Princess Charlene (although Princess Kate came up a number of times!)

gnomie :)

LauraS gave details of the event at the top of the page! It has also been announced in Seatrade Insider and Cruise Industry News. This will likely be the event of the year for the cruise industry!

Edited by Travelcat2

It had to be someone from Monaco as the ship will be in Monte Carlo; celebrities from other parts of the world apparently refused to pay Regent's air deviation fee ;) :D

Also the name Charlene will appeal to all those cruisers of a certain age who miss Kylie Minogue's character in the Australian soap opera Neighbours :rolleyes: At least Andrea Bocelli is a better singer than Jason Donovan

July 13 should be a good party for the new ship; when are we likely to receive our invitations? ;)

It had to be someone from Monaco as the ship will be in Monte Carlo; celebrities from other parts of the world apparently refused to pay Regent's air deviation fee ;) :D

;)

I was reading this while on the train this morning and was laughing so loud I had to leave the "quiet car"

Just in case we get an invitation, a plan has been devised to make the most of the event and to contribute to its success.

Transportation: Contact Leo DiCaprio to ask him to divert to PNS when he travels to Europe to get the HH of the YCFA(Hollywood Hypocrite of the Year Carbon Foot Print Award). As a thank you I'd offer to pay the tax on the PNS landing fee and provide snacks, lunch and beverages(pork skins, ham sandwiches, bubble gum cigars and a case of PBR).

Lodging: Contact royal palace staff to get a cabin on the royal yacht or maybe its tender. Must be sufficient to accommodate our chef, valet, maid, stylist and driver/bodyguard. To reciprocate I'd be prepared to supervise an oil change on the tender.

Clothing: To spice things up a bit, this weekend we'll search the attic for my John Travolta leisure suit, the white one. It might need alterations.

Entertainment: Since I'm 73 I thought I should get out Saturday Night Fever and start practicing the disco dance contest moves now. That way in case the formal show ends early, the organizers will know there will be a backup act. I'll also contribute any leftover PBR from the flight over and that bottle of MD 20/20 I've been saving to the event's beverage pool.

In all seriousness special events in Monaco are unforgettable. The setting is magnificent and they really know how to do it up right. Special ship = big deal!

• 1 month later...
H.S.H. Princess Charlene of Monaco will be the the G-dmother for the Explorer. The christening will take place at a black tie gala on July 13, 2016 and the entertainment will be provided by Andrea Bocelli.

Regent will have a live video of the Christening Ceremony:

www.explorerchristening.com

The time given is 3pm EST. Since the eastern US is currently on Daylight Saving Time (EDT), 3pm EST is ambiguous. Maybe the Regent spell checkers will sort it out and give the correct time before the event.

We will have just set sail on Navigator from Barcelona. Wonder if they'll cover it on board?

They will likely show it but maybe not live as it will be dinner time in Barcelona.

In terms of the "time" of the event, I suspect that it was a typo (a mistake that I've made many times when telling people what time they can book reservations online). I'm so used to writing "EST" that I'm not even sure if "EDT" is the correct designation for Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Somehow it seems like it should be EDST (that looks very strange:) )

I'm so used to writing "EST" that I'm not even sure if "EDT" is the correct designation for Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Yes, it is. That is the official designation for our current time.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

As an aside, I'm still trying to figure out why we even bother changing the time. Drives me batty twice a year. It's time...leave it alone!

+1 Where we live, it doesn't get dark until almost 10:00 p.m. and some states do not even change the time (Hawaii comes to mind) and in many countries, the time is changed on different dates than in the U.S. Very confusing.

Anyway, thank you Anchorbuoy, will try to remember that. I'm now wondering what the time difference is between Barcelona and Monte Carlo and Monte Carlo and PDT (guessing it is 9 hours).

I was surprised by this - when I had the opportunity to preview the Explorer one of the questions was who would we like to see be the G-dmother - as far as I can remember, no one mentioned Princess Charlene (although Princess Kate came up a number of times!)gnomie :)

Minor trivia: Several years back, Silversea named one of their Expedition ships Prince Albert II, but later changed the name to Silver Explorer. Now Charlene is getting to christen her own Regent Explorer.

Minor trivia: Several years back, Silversea named one of their Expedition ships Prince Albert II, but later changed the name to Silver Explorer. Now Charlene is getting to christen her own Regent Explorer.

Interesting information.....thanks for posting. While I had not previously heard of Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene, I am stunned by how much she looks like the late Princess Grace. I am also impressed by the good work she has done.

While some posters do not "give a damn or find it funny, I wonder why they bothered to post, this is a significant event for Regent. Many of us do "give a damn" and are looking forward to being on this magnificent ship.

Today is a celebratory day for the U.S. and next Wednesday will be a celebratory day for Regent. Congratulations Regent!!!

The last time Regent christened a ship, also in Monaco, they first had several shakedown cruises to which a number of past guests and loyal travel agents were invited - NO CHARGE! You just had to pay to get there, and perhaps pay a small tax and/or port fee; I don't recall for sure. Then, if you were on the (I think) third shakedown cruise AND were booked on the maiden voyage, you were invited to stay on for two extra nights to enjoy the christening which, except for one minor glitch, was a wonderful, just marvelous affair - first use of Monte Carlo's then-new cruise terminal, we had a magnificent lunch with Prince Albert and 300+ of his closest friends (by distance only), and got the opportunity to spend the extra time in that delightful city.

The little glitch was that the Catholic Archbishop of Monaco stretched the brief blessing he was supposed to give into to a lengthy (30± minutes?) sermon, all in French which few of the guests could follow. My lovely wife loves all that pageantry and hi-society stuff; she went down and sat, in the hot sun, through the whole thing. Our suite was on the dock side of the ship; I stayed there and enjoyed part of the christening from our veranda but bailed out about 5 minutes into the Archbishop's tirade. Much nicer inside our lovely air-conditioned suite on the Voyager. After it was over, we really enjoyed the great lunch and the other extravaganzas put on for the occasion.

We would have booked the maiden voyage again had they invited us to a free or even well-priced shakedown. We might have booked the maiden voyage even if we'd been invited to the christening. We'll wait to check out the Explorer over Christmas, and get to really know her when we sail from Miami to Venice via Barcelona next spring, God willing - after all, we're >13 years older and in my case, not nearly as healthy!

• 2 weeks later...