Greek Isle and Turkish Delight: Should Windstar Cancel with U.S. Consulate Warning

greekislebound

We are booked on the May 28th cruise, Istanbul to Athens and are very concerned over the latest safety warnings.

On April 9, 2016, the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul issues the following warning: "The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya. Please exercise extreme caution if you are in the vicinity of such areas."

On March 29, 2016, on the travel.state.gov website, it stated: "The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey".

Although other cruise lines have altered their itineraries after the two recent terrorist attacks, however, Windstar has not. In a cruise critic article, dated March 22, 2016, when asked Windstar stated "the security and safety of our guests and crew is always our top priority. We regularly evaluate all operations to adapt as necessary and assist in compliance with the U.S. State Department issuances regarding worldwide travel. Regarding upcoming calls to ports in Turkey, no further itinerary changes are announced at this time."

We called Windstar this morning and no changes have been made, despite the latest warnings. I am not sure why other cruise lines have accessed the risk high enough to change their itineraries, but Windstar has not.

Until this weekend, we were uncomfortable with Istanbul but still wanted to enjoy our two night pre-cruise holiday in this incredible city. We were trying to put the risk into perspective (greater risk of car accident on the way to the airport) but the April 9th warning of credible threat to public squares and docks is a tipping point.

Does anyone else feel it is time for Windstar to change the itinerary and avoid Turkey? Having been previously booked in the Windstar Pride cruise, I cringe at the thought of changing all my travel plans again, but I think the risk is now too high.

The Windstar rep did indicate that they track the number of calls from concerned passengers so if you are concerned, please call them.

Edited by greekislebound

Given the current dire warnings Windstar should definitely not be calling at Istanbul. Possibly Kusadasi for Ephesus but definitely not Istanbul because

1. US (their) Government advises against Istanbul

2. Virtually all other cruise lines are out of Istanbul

3. Frequency of terrorist incidents in Istanbul and Ankara over last 6 months indicates a higher risk of further terrorist incidents in the short - medium term .

On April 9, 2016, the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul issues the following warning: "The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya. Please exercise extreme caution if you are in the vicinity of such areas."

On March 29, 2016, on the travel.state.gov website, it stated: "The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey".

The only warning actual against travel I see here is for southeastern Turkey, which Windstar goes nowhere near.

The specific warning for Istanbul is to "avoid" Public Squares and Docks, by which I think they mean the ferry docks. The cruise ship dock is in a separately secured area and if worried one can always just arrange for a cab to be waiting and to go directly to the airport.

Windstar should leave the decision up to individual travelers and offer no-charge rebookings onto another itinerary, but I see no compelling reason to scrub completely. At this point I'd take the cruise. Millions and millions of tourists travel to Turkey each year and only a handful have been affected.

If we let them terrorize us the bad guys will have won!

I agree wth milepig we can not let them win. I believe we have to continue to open up communication and share cultures through responsible travel. We were in Istanbul with WS in fall 2013. It was a glorious city, jammed with fascinating culture, the people were generous, kind and open. We felt totally safe at all times. The harbor was the most exciting place to sail out of. The trip was glorious the Dardenells, loved Bodrum, again totally safe people extraordinary and what is not to love about Ephasesis. I would go again in a minute. That being said you know yourself so it should be a personal decision and WS should respect that. Also, given the recent times we live in just be more aware of your surroundings. Mostly enjoy.

I agree wth milepig we can not let them win. I believe we have to continue to open up communication and share cultures through responsible travel. We were in Istanbul with WS in fall 2013. It was a glorious city, jammed with fascinating culture, the people were generous, kind and open. We felt totally safe at all times. The harbor was the most exciting place to sail out of. The trip was glorious the Dardenells, loved Bodrum, again totally safe people extraordinary and what is not to love about Ephasesis. I would go again in a minute. That being said you know yourself so it should be a personal decision and WS should respect that. Also, given the recent times we live in just be more aware of your surroundings. Mostly enjoy.

Well said. Indeed, everyone we encountered in Istanbul was "generous, kind and open." Our first trip we were there during Ramadan and most assuredly not Muslim. We went about our business without issue and finally commented to our hotel owner "everyone is so nice to us" and the reply was "you're our guest, why would we treat you any other way." That's the Istanbul that brings me back. Sadly, when we were there last year you could feel that change was in the air. So, I still suggest going to Istanbul now, I'm afraid the pendulum is swinging. And, yes, the cruise in or out of the city is not to be missed. Glorious, and if you hit the time right the various calls to prayer will be sounding all around you and the water will be glimmering. Pure magic.

If you want a smaller hotel off the tourist route, I recommend the Wit - this was our room with panoramic view:

http://www.wittistanbul.com/king-panoramic-with-terrace/

Just up the hill from the cruise port.

• 4 weeks later...

The only warning actual against travel I see here is for southeastern Turkey, which Windstar goes nowhere near.

The specific warning for Istanbul is to "avoid" Public Squares and Docks, by which I think they mean the ferry docks. The cruise ship dock is in a separately secured area and if worried one can always just arrange for a cab to be waiting and to go directly to the airport.

Windstar should leave the decision up to individual travelers and offer no-charge rebookings onto another itinerary, but I see no compelling reason to scrub completely. At this point I'd take the cruise. Millions and millions of tourists travel to Turkey each year and only a handful have been affected.

If we let them terrorize us the bad guys will have won!

Agree 100%. I just booked Istanbul to Athens for August. I am savvy traveller and will use extra caution. I will watch the situation carefully. I will be very aware, but plan to have a great time. Dinner at Ephesus will be awesome!

We have traveled abroad extensively and still Istanbul amazed us and should not be missed.

That said caution should be observed while sightseeing. One thing that I would suggest is to do what you can to not appear too aobviously to be a tourist, especially an American tourist. Little things like white tennis shoes, backpacks, cruisline tote bags make your non local nationality obvious. I know that locals can usually spot non locals but you can make it a little less obvious.

There are a number of sites on the Internet with suggestions of what to do and avoid.

Granted this is all a shame but this is the world we live in today.

Been to Turkey on landtrip and also cruising. Great place with lots of interesting ruins. I would not go thete now. When the US government issues warnings, It is wise to pay attention to them. I have been in places which have had conflicts. Not a good way to see a place. I am surprised that cruises are still including Turkey.

As I have said on other posts I would go back to Istanbul/Turkey in a minute if I could. I will not give into hate and fear. I would go to Paris and Belgium in a minute. Are there places I would not go to absolutely due to war and ethical reasons, would I be more aware of my surroundings absolutely but I am more aware of my surroundings in US airports. I do believe strongly that people to people, sharing of cultures and kindness will win. If I can do my part in bringing my tiny bit humanity to other parts of this world I will. Happy Sailing