Woo Hoo! Did it, signed up!

LTC Dan

After years of patient waiting and planning, the lovely bride and I FINALLY get to do our Windstar cruise in the Mediterranean. I CANNOT WAIT.:)

This will be our first WS to experience. Wanted to try out the sails at first, and Windsurf's layout looked great. Plus, what's not to like about that Venice to Rome trip? But the Star Breeze Venice to Athens offer was much too good to ignore. "They made me an offer I could not refuse."- Godfather

What can you folks tell me about the Venician Passageways experience that we cannot miss? I'm already chomping at the bit.

Even more magical is watching the ship sailing in the day efore your cruise. It takes a combination of luck and willingness to be up very early, but seeing the ship sail past Piazza San Marcos is magical.

Hi Snowcat, thanks for being first in line to reply. The "Venetian Passageways" itinerary starts out with an overnight in Venice, then stops at Hvar, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Butrint, Katakolon, Itea, Nafplio, and then disembarks in Athens. The real draw for us would be all the Italian, Croatian, and Montenegrin ports up-front, but I bet the last half will be just as entertaining. I would have easily swapped this one for the "Classic Italy & The Dalmatian Coast" aboard the Wind Surf (really loved the idea of seeing Sicily and Capri), but the quote for the Star Breeze was much better.

We independently set up a land tour featuring five nights at Lake Bled in Slovenia before the cruise. THAT promises to be flat-out incredible.

Thanks for the tip about sail-out from Venice. I will be on a natural high for sure!

Thanks Host Walt for the tip. Since we won't be sailing on the Wind Surf on October 1st from Venice, I like your idea of catching a glimpse of the Windstar flagship. We'll already be onboard the Star Breeze sipping our morning coffee, and we don't sail away until 1600, so why not? Will the two ships be berthed alongside each other at the port of Venice?

Edited by LTC Dan

Thanks Host Walt for the tip. Since we won't be sailing on the Wind Surf on October 1st from Venice, I like your idea of catching a glimpse of the Windstar flagship. We'll already be onboard the Star Breeze sipping our morning coffee, and we don't sail away until 1600, so why not? Will the two ships be berthed alongside each other at the port of Venice?

I don't know where they will be berthed. Berthing assignments are made by the port master who usually doesn't make the assignments until the last minute. But that would make a great photo, two Wins Star ships in Venice, wouldn't it?

Congrats LTC Dan,

I did this cruise on the Breeze last year and it was fabulous. We boarded 10/12 and the main thing I would say is be prepared for all types of weather. We had rain leaving Venice and raining on and off until we left Kotor. BUT it never spoiled one minute of this spectacular itinerary.

I loved the excursion to Delphi do not miss the site. My husband and I usually do excursions on our own but on this trip I was traveling with my mom so we did WS excursions. It was fantastic to Delphi.

We missed Hvar the first day because of weather, had a nice day in Split instead. They substituted last minute but handled it well.

I would stay with the ships special event in Butrint as it was lovely. The port town was very depressing and I was so glad I hadn't planned on doing anything other than the ships special event. I came out of this port with a greater appreciation of the Albanian people and its recent history out of communism. We had a superb guide, wish I could remember her name, she had such stories to tell of living in the area and a perspective of her fathers, hers and now her sons experiences. The ruins are special.

We enjoyed Hydra immensely. Lovely little village, no cars, nice walking. I'd go back there in a second. Please

And of course the Corinth Canal is spectacular.

Welcome to WindStar! You will be blown away!

Edited by MTJtraveller

Thanks again, MTJtraveller! That's really good to find someone that did the exact same itinerary on the exact same ship. I may press you for more details as I come up with questions. Hvar will be cool, but I certainly wouldn't mind if we were forced into Split as an alternative haven. And Rovinj is calling me for a future visit. I think Kotor and Dubrovnik promise to be wonderful.

If this trip is anything like my previous overseas jaunts, my trip planning is always just something I have to do to build up anticipation. Once we start really experiencing new places, t:Dhe unexpected surprise is the rule rather than the exception, and I have enough of a spontaneous streak to revel in that.