Big Change at Windstar Cruises

dandee2

It comes a year after the VP of sales resigned and the resignation of the Director of Public Relations and Social Media back in January.

Must be something in the water in Seattle :D

dandee2

Edited by dandee2

It comes a year after the VP of sales resigned and the resignation of the Director of Public Relations and Social Media back in January.

Must be something in the water in Seattle :D

dandee2

Well, the Public Relations following the Pride debacle was disastrous.

The FIRST and only lesson of PR is if there is a stuff up, then be full and open about, and people will generally respect honesty.

BUT these days Comapnies pay exorbitant wages to Spin Doctors and Doctresses to put a positive SPIN on any stuff up . BUT Windstar could not even manage that with the STAR PRIDE grounding . They just said bugger all, and what they did say was just straight out obfuscation, or pretend it did not happen .

Its not rocket science, just say the ship grounded. Pax taken care of, ships will be repaired by x date and it will resume service with the itinerary sailing of x date . Instead Windstar PR have kept everyone in the dark .

The FIRST and only lesson of PR is if there is a stuff up, then be full and open about, and people will generally respect honesty.

BUT these days Comapnies pay exorbitant wages to Spin Doctors and Doctresses to put a positive SPIN on any stuff up . BUT Windstar could not even manage that with the STAR PRIDE grounding . They just said bugger all, and what they did say was just straight out obfuscation, or pretend it did not happen .

Its not rocket science, just say the ship grounded. Pax taken care of, ships will be repaired by x date and it will resume service with the itinerary sailing of x date . Instead Windstar PR have kept everyone in the dark .

I'd been cutting them slack for growing quickly and taking on an aging fleet. It's increasingly clear that the management is just a mess from top to bottom. One point is the first excuse for lack of info when the Pride ran aground was "it's the holidays, out top staff is all on holiday." They should all been called in, immediately. I guess some housekeeping is underway. Well needed!

I am a veteran cruiser who has never cruised with Windstar, but interested in booking because of itinerary. I was intrigued when I saw Hans was going to be on this board the week of October 12. I watched the board all week. It was a late, disorganized and tepid event. He wasn't up for it. Perhaps his decision had been made. I held off booking.

WS being a small company, it is being used unfortunately as a stepping stone to bigger thing for some but sometime personal matter do make it difficult to steer the whole ship by yourself.

That being said.....

The VP of Sales who resigned in 2015 is now a Personal Coach for Travel Agent (go see his site), The Director of Public Relations and Social Media resigned in Jan. 2016 to join Expedia as the Senior Manager, Industry Relations.

The new Director of Public Relations comes from Holland of America (Seattle area). She was also with Windstar between 1994 and 2004 also in Public Relation. She was the spokesperson of WS during the Wind Song fire. She might have an idea how to deal with incidents.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/cruises-nixed-after-ship-goes-up-in-flames/article25427996/

Google and Bing are your friends :)

dandee2

Let's hope that whomever they hire comes from an upscale line and wants WS to be an upscale line. Unfortunately too many of their hires, at all levels, have come from mass marketed lines and they have no idea how to satisfy an upscale clientele.

You raise an interesting point. I have been viewing Windstar as small with unique itineraries, with occasional masted sailing.

You mention upscale, but between reading and discussing, I've been advised that there are no (or limited) valconues, avoid certain rooms near the front because you cannot enter the bed from both side, avoid being near crew smoking quarters, understand that entertainment is limited . And it is twice the price of and upper minaret cruise, even during sales.

While that is understandable under my "unique" cruise, in what way does it fit "upscale?"

You raise an interesting point. I have been viewing Windstar as small with unique itineraries, with occasional masted sailing.

You mention upscale, but between reading and discussing, I've been advised that there are no (or limited) valconues, avoid certain rooms near the front because you cannot enter the bed from both side, avoid being near crew smoking quarters, understand that entertainment is limited . And it is twice the price of and upper minaret cruise, even during sales.

While that is understandable under my "unique" cruise, in what way does it fit "upscale?"

Can you tell me what rooms are involved? Would hate to be in a cabin where you couldn't enter bed from both sides. We are in 155 and will change if that is the case there.

Thanks

Have never seen a cabin where bed could not be entered from both sides. We are "upscale" travelers and have been on WS multiple times as well as the "upscale" lines. Give me WS over all the others. Have any of you spent time on CC seeing all of the negative reviews and snarky remarks from posters on every single cruise line? There are a lot of mean nasty people out there who are unhappy no matter what. Why someone who has obviously never been on WS would post rumors of the negatives that he has never experienced is a mystery to me.

We have been treated as appreciated customers from day one. Can there be improvement in communications and their website? Absolutely. But really, is there a company or person that couldn't use a little improvement?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have never seen a cabin where bed could not be entered from both sides. We are "upscale" travelers and have been on WS multiple times as well as the "upscale" lines. Give me WS over all the others. Have any of you spent time on CC seeing all of the negative reviews and snarky remarks from posters on every single cruise line? There are a lot of mean nasty people out there who are unhappy no matter what. Why someone who has obviously never been on WS would post rumors of the negatives that he has never experienced is a mystery to me.

We have been treated as appreciated customers from day one. Can there be improvement in communications and their website? Absolutely. But really, is there a company or person that couldn't use a little improvement?

We signed on for a January Star Breeze Costa Rica cruise with a bit of trepidation following the Star Pride grounding, but ready to compare a comparable size, star rating and length cruise to our previous all-inclusive experiences on the Paul Gauguin.

So, please view these comments as ones intended to be constructive and based on direct experience with what each line promotes as "luxury". This is not intended to either bore anyone or overly criticize the cruise line, but having been on both lines, I thought that those who are considering WS, especially in light of the top staff "abandoning ship", might appreciate a thorough review.

I have enjoyed five cruises on the Paul Gauguin and wanted a fair comparison between PG and the recently refitted former Seaborne ships. I understood the key difference between the two - PG as totally all inclusive and the Windstar Star Breeze as lodging, meals and non-alcoholic included - yet eager to compare the differences in service, food, entertainment, enrichment, excursions and overall ambiance.

We chose the January 23 Costa Rica cruise as a fair seven day comparison cruise.

The refitting of the ship's interior was exquisite. All soft goods were fresh and new. The cabins were especially well outfitted with ample size, a walk-in closet and great bathrooms. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the ship herself. A 1989 vintage, she shows clear signs of age and her operation sports dated mechanics (more on that later). She is in bad need of a complete haul out. Deck caulking was peeling. Some deck boards were actually rising up. Rust abounded with coats of new paint in some areas not hiding the deferred maintenance well.

We could have ignored this lack of attention had it not been for the real problem experienced.

Communication

An old Sicilian proverb concludes with the observation: A fish rots from the head down. Though staff tried mightily to overcome the corners cut by upper management, the faults of lack of guest communication, actual dangerous attempts at tender boarding and return, and an aged set of mechanics made this cruise more akin to a thrill ride than a relaxing experience.

Though every cruise has its high winds and rough seas, the Star Breeze has no ability to deal with normal swells at anchor due to a lack of adequate thrusters to combat swells and current. At anchor with only one bow hook and the Captain's choice to anchor in 140-170 foot waters, we experienced considerable listing in even moderate swells. On one especially adventurous tender re-boarding, the boarding ramp rose more than four feet up and down as the rubber zodiacs fitfully tried to approach the ship. Our tender motored for more than forty five minutes while the bridge crew tried maneuvers to settle the listing. After thirty minutes in subtropical heat and blistering sun, I had new appreciation for the plight of Syrian refugees!

Throughout the cruise, there was no explanation for the extreme listing at anchor, no announcements about the next day's itinerary, and no warning about re-positioning or changes to excursions. Excursion processing was abysmal as upper management chose their manager to also serve as cruise director.

I do not fault the crew below chief officer level for this lack of communication. The Indonesian and Filipino staff exceeded expectations coping with a very disorganized Senior staff. I would even grant the benefit of the doubt to all staff as I believe the real problem stems from upper management who obviously have not been on board since re-fit.

While this review does have serious negative concerns, Chef Budhi, hospitality and deck service staff were top notch and attentive. They simply suffered through the lack of orientation to this new ship and proper training.

Food was consistently good, but certainly not comparable to either the Paul Gauguin and miles below food preparation on Oceania. In the waters of the best fishing grounds in Central America, all fish were frozen, none fresh. Wine, though fairly priced, was only mediocre.

Most have already commented on the lack of entertainment, but the two musical duos were outstanding in their effort to overcome a bad sound system with no sound engineer to keep the shows seamless. Microphones experienced constant problems, and some speakers on deck were actually blown.

Throughout the cruise, the swim platform was never lowered, even on days with modest seas. It was only the final day's beach party that passengers even saw the water toys and snorkel gear was never issued for the same reason.

The stark contrast between the Paul Gauguin and the Star Breeze left us with more regret than meeting expectations.

I know that there are loyal Windstar devotees, and it pains me to write a review more negative than positive, but I cannot recommend that anyone sail on the "new" old Seaborne ships until they receive a thorough haul out and improve on consistency and passenger communication. I don't expect that to happen until upper management is replaced by cruise experts who deliver that proper investment and training.

All I can add is that we had a phenomenal experience on the Legend in December. No listing, no old ship feel, just the usual wonderful staff, immaculate cabins, good food and very appreciative guests that we've grown accustomed to with Windstar. I spent some time tonight reading reviews of the Paul Gauguin and many people love it and some not so much. It appears that there are many changes to their itineraries depending on weather and that is always the decision best left to the captain. I would doubt very seriously that the Windstar captain would have denied guests the opportunity to use the water toys from the swim platform without good cause. If someone had been hurt or drowned what kind of PR would that have brought? The sound system being out of balance wouldn't exactly keep me from signing up for a cruise. As I've posted before, everyone likes a different flavor of ice cream. That's what made Baskin Robbins successful. Stay with whatever cruise line suits you. I'm leaving to get on the Surf in 48 hours and can't believe how lucky I am to be able to do this with my husband of 37 years. Spain here we come!

Edited by sb44

I agree with the rotting from the head part. The staff strives mightily, but leadership frankly sucks. This is a combined experience from several itins.

On one, the guest services manager should never be allowed any contact with customers.

In fairness, I have it from someone I trust that Seaborn delivered ships that were in pitiful condition. The WS spaces are stunning. I love re yacht club, and Amphorae is very handsome. Bar staff had always been great.

Service in the veranda remains the low point. Just mayhem with staff walking around with random plates of food with no idea who ordered it. On our recent trip we never saw a manager up there, ever. To order, I had to wave our menu in the air (when there was one on the table) to flag down someone.

But, more good than bad, and we will be back.

Edited by milepig

I am a fan, I have been sailing my entire life, I have had 19 cruises with WS, 18 on the sail boats, 1 on the motor yachts, I am a happy person, easy, rarely complain, given that info, in defense of WS I have throughly enjoy my cruising experiences and travel experiences with them. As I have researched and have no idea why Hans B. left. Let the rumors go, what is the point?. Given all my sailing with WS at no time did I ever feel unsafe. These are not huge ships, the ocean can be rough, as a matter if fact the ocean in the Caribbean and Costa Rica were rougher than usual this winter. Captains have the last say and knowing the suction of the swim platforms certainly better safe than sorry. However, captain's have to follow the rules of the port authorities, give them slack, we do not know what has transpired. Everytime I ask I get an answer on the ship. Food is completely sujective and personal. " Luxury" is there definition for that word. I think they are luxurious with out being ostentatious. Do I want to be served champagne by waiters in tuxes wadding in the water no, is that luxury, who knows? Not once have we ever had poor service, not once rudness, not once a poor meal. Let me be clear we never look for a disappointment either.

We like the smallness, we like the sea air, the sails , the 1492, the ports, the informality, the staff, and we like the new motor yachts. We were on the Breeze in December, fabulous time,great space inside and out and all the elements of the Windstar experiences that we love. Is life always perfect, is every day perfect but one can make it pretty good for themselves. Be happy, look at the big picture how fortunate we can do this, whatever cruise you are on enjoy. Don't look for the wrong. Happy Sailing

Thats odd, I don't recall listing/tendering issues with the Pride or Legend when they were with Seabourn. I doubt the fact that Seabourn used the launches for tenders rather than Zodiacs made the difference either.

I believe I have a decent explanation for the extreme listing. I assume that following the Star Pride grounding the Captain was exercising over extreme caution. Every port was at anchor and always more than two miles off shore. With the anchor cast so deep (50-60 fathoms according to the bridge crew) that left plenty of chain for momentum to build in even modest seas. Also explained the lack of swim platform.

Installation of thrusters would have solved that problem, but these boats are 1989 vintage and showing it.

When I asked the bridge crew, they ignored my question except for one junior officer, who snickered behind his hand over mouth.

BY THE WAY. The tender deal was no small issue. We had 70 and 80 year old people on board that tender in blistering tropical heat for 45 minutes waiting for the captain to attempt manuvers to steady her. No water offered until about thirty minutes into the episode. One lady shouted as the bottles were tossed to the tender, "Forget the water. Throw us margaritas!"

Back on board. No apologies. No explanation. No attempts at customer service.

IMHO. Front office would not commit wholesale slaughter to the lead team if they didn't see the recent spate of complaints since the Seaborne ships were launched.

While this review does have serious negative concerns, Chef Budhi, hospitality and deck service staff were top notch and attentive. They simply suffered through the lack of orientation to this new ship and proper training.

Food was consistently good, but certainly not comparable to either the Paul Gauguin and miles below food preparation on Oceania. In the waters of the best fishing grounds in Central America, all fish were frozen, none fresh. Wine, though fairly priced, was only mediocre.

You are actually lucky that they only served frozen fish. On our Legend cruise last August, the chef went on shore and bought fresh fish one day. His policy was that if he bought fresh fish, it had to be WELL cooked (because he believed that if fish is frozen then it eliminates the possibility of parasites). This caused the fish to be almost inedible. One person (who also was a chef) even asked if they could sign a waiver so they could get properly cooked fish and the chef said "no".

As for the crew, at that time they were significantly understaffed in the dining areas. You had to wait a significant amount of time just to get bread and butter.

Maybe the staffing issues have been fixed since August - I hope so.

You are actually lucky that they only served frozen fish. On our Legend cruise last August, the chef went on shore and bought fresh fish one day. His policy was that if he bought fresh fish, it had to be WELL cooked (because he believed that if fish is frozen then it eliminates the possibility of parasites). This caused the fish to be almost inedible. One person (who also was a chef) even asked if they could sign a waiver so they could get properly cooked fish and the chef said "no".

It has to do with traceability, supplier contract, etc. It would be considered negligence even if you signed a waiver.

To make a story short, we visited Cuba quite a few time and ate once in a local restaurant in a small town. We got local chicken (fortunately the 5 of us did not get sick). Back at the hotel, we inquired were their poultry came from. They were from the USA (biggest exporter of agricultural product to Cuba) because they could trace it back to the farm and prevent the spread of contamination. You don't want a thousand tourists with food poisoning.

Can you tell me what rooms are involved? Would hate to be in a cabin where you couldn't enter bed from both sides. We are in 155 and will change if that is the case there.

Thanks

The agent, whom I spoke with about a B2B on the Windsurf out of St. Maarten, said she booked Windstar as a large percentage of her business and was peronally acquainted with each ship.

I asked for the promotional rate advertised by Windstarand she advised that category was for lowest deck at the front - where the cabin narrowed and the bed was oddly configured due to the shape of the ship.

May be fine for some - perhaps the bed can be entered from the bottom on the wall side.

Not being mean or snarky - the bedding issue/smoke issues in rooms at the widely advertised promotional rate (albeit, expensive by other cruise ship standards) on the Windsurf were described by an agent who specialized in WS. I was attempting to book a B2B.

I remain convinced that WS is a unique experience which I might take advantage of at the right time. I remain unconvinced that I should approach it as an upscale experience in the hard product, which might lead to disappointment.

Now, hopefully, a few days to reflect have given you the opportunity to reassess your sharp, unnrcessary comments on a board that exists for passengers to exchange information.

In the meantime, happy sailing.

18 sailing ship cruises with WS.

Wind Surf room # 157 only room with the curved hull where bed does not have the otherside access. We reserved last minute last room available. We are easy, our fault reserving last minute, fine, yes.

We are always on the bottom floor we love them because the gentle rocking gives us the very best sleep. We refuse upgrades because we are so comfortable.

Never, never had interior smoke problems.

Windstar Cruises are not cheap and nor should they be given the uniqueness of the ships and the size. You can not in anyway compare price, experience, ambience, most ports, dining, to the large, mass market products out there.

Is the service unbelievably, incredibly fantastic absolutely. I have been fortunate in life to have frequented Relais de Chateaux properties and their servive is fabulous and Windstar Cruises surpasses them.

Oceans can be rough, the ships are small, with certiain waves, currents the swimmimg platforms cause a suction, swimming from them not safe, don't second guess the captain.

If you are unsure about being happy or might be disappointed don't go. If you face life happy, are grateful you can experience these ships, if you are a person who truly views life as half full go you will love it as we do. Happy Sailing