Windsurf embarkation day from St. Martin

tbmrt

Been reading about our upcoming cruise on Windsurf and want to be sure I'm on the right track.

Wondering best thing to do on embarkation day. Will be staying at Royal Pass. hotel so will take taxi to port. 1pm earliest time to board? I intend to make reservations for Candles then.

When would luggage usually arrive?

What time is muster? Where is this held? Bring life preservers?

Lunch/pool available when we embark?

What do you usually do on embarkation day?

Thanks

Embarkation is at 1:00; however, there will be an area set up where you can drop off luggage/check in if you arrive earlier. You can then wander the port shopping area until it is time to embark.

After you check in on board, there is an area set up on the side where you can make Candles, Stella Bistro and Spa reservations (at least there was on our cruise).

Muster was held at 5:30 and you bring your life jackets and meet at your muster station - ours was inside on the main deck.

Lunch at the Veranda was available from 1:00 - 4:00. Can't remember if the pool was open.

After checking in on board we are shown to our cabin. We drop off our carry-ons and then head to lunch. After lunch, we wander around the ship and then return to our cabin. By that time our luggage is usually there and we unpack and get ourselves organized.

It's a very relaxed start to a cruise. After so many Windstar cruises, not sure if we could handle the lines and frenzy encountered on the big ships anymore.

I would say Suzanne hit the nail on the head as far as timing and how things work for embarkation. One thing we did after boarding and making our dinner reservations at the two restaurants was to make our shore excursions reservations as well. We didn't make any ahead of time and there had been several new excursions added so I'm glad we waited.

You also have plenty of time to wander the ship and start to make new friends! Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

We love Windstar, but our embarkation at St Maarten almost two years ago almost put us off for life. We joined a long queue down on the dock caused by having to put all luggage through a security scanner. We were some time in the sun, with no shade provided and when we reached the scanner itself, found that Windstar staff were using the scanner to check for alcohol and to confiscate it (returnable at the end of the voyage). As we watched they even opened a bottle of water belonging to one of the passengers and sniffed it! We almost turned around then and there.

A classy and relaxing start to our cruise it was not. More like visiting time at Wormwood Scrubs or San Quentin.

Edited by marama

We've embarked three times in St. Maarten now. I usually spend the morning on the beach in front of Holland House where we stay, then grab a five minute can to the port. We have been greeted by the captain every time, then head to the lounge for a cocktail, some paperwork and a a photo for the id. We then go purchase the laundry package and head for our room. Luggage has always been there.

Unpack, wander around looking for old friends among the staff, and go to lifeboat drill. Then usually more cocktails. The entire process is very relaxing and civilized. We've never waited at all.

It's a wonderful ship.

We love Windstar, but our embarkation at St Maarten almost two years ago almost put us off for life. We joined a long queue down on the dock caused by having to put all luggage through a security scanner. We were some time in the sun, with no shade provided and when we reached the scanner itself, found that Windstar staff were using the scanner to check for alcohol and to confiscate it (returnable at the end of the voyage). As we watched they even opened a bottle of water belonging to one of the passengers and sniffed it! We almost turned around then and there.

A classy and relaxing start to our cruise it was not. More like visiting time at Wormwood Scrubs or San Quentin.

Wow, Marama, I have never had anything like that happen! On Princess, yes, but Windstar?! I am surprised at that kind of treatment - especially the water bottle - eww!

My experience with embarkation is similar to everyone else's - a few minutes for paperwork (with a glass of champagne in hand), greeting staff that we know, a little lunch on the veranda, re-acquainting ourselves with the ship, unpacking and setting out our laundry - love that laundry package!

Sorry about that.

Hmm, but it does not sound like Windstar. Everything is seamless and effortless. It really nothing. A golf cart ride. A few smiles an autograph or two, and bazinga you are done. May be it was Starclippers? Does not seem right. Many cruises on Windstar, including out of SXM twice.

Sorry about that.

Hmm, but it does not sound like Windstar. Everything is seamless and effortless. It really nothing. A golf cart ride. A few smiles an autograph or two, and bazinga you are done. May be it was Starclippers? Does not seem right. Many cruises on Windstar, including out of SXM twice.

You are so right - it did not seem right and we were pretty shocked! it was not the Windstar we remembered when we cruised the med with them on our first voyage. But no, I'm afraid there's no mistake, i do know the difference between Windstar and a Star Clipper (which was just a few berths along at the time). This was a BtB on Windsurf in 2015 and we had Mark Spitz on board (charming). The Filipino staff were as marvellous as ever and clearly just carrying out their orders, but we felt like naughty schoolchildren. I had forgotten the 'no personal booze' policy and so we had to stand in another line to hand in our half bottle of gin! By the time we finally reached registration in the lounge I was fuming. Thereafter we were scanned as we returned from each port - though they did get less and less enthusiastic about this as the cruise went on. Windstar pricing is now amazingly low but I would rather pay a bit more than have to put up with this kind of nonsense- someone has their priorities wrong, it seems to me.

As a result, we have now mostly switched to Seabourn although we do have one more Windstar coming up in Feb, booked just to keep some friends company on their first cruise. But one final word to our original poster - tbmrt don't be alarmed, once onboard you will really enjoy yourself, I promise!

Edited by marama

Windstar embarkation is the easiest in the business. We've done St Marteen several times. Never waited. They do check and xray and they do check bags when returning to ship every day. I appreciate the security and would like to see more. The last cruise we took in Europe there was virtually no port security when returning to ship throughout Spain. There were xray machines that didn't work and hand scanners that never picked up my husband's two knee and one hip replacement. In the US he gets a total pat down even with TSA and GOES clearance. Ships are soft targets and I applaud any effort to make them safer. A half filled bottle of gin is against policy and could have anything in it. Bravo Windstar in your attempt to keep us safe.

Yes, as could all the bottles of toiletry products that we all bring on in our luggage. And it was a sealed half bottle of gin, not a 'Half filled' bottle.

Oh. If it was sealed then you got it back at the end, right? I've had unopened toothpaste confiscated by TSA because I didn't look at the ounces on the package.Same with mousse and eye cream! I pay more attention to the rules now instead of getting upset and holding up the line. And I've hopefully developed more patience with security in an increasingly scary world. Happy travels no matter which ship you sail. As my grandkids would tell us, these as such first world problems.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

The better shopping is in town, less than a mile from the ship. You can take a 2 minute cab or a bit of a walk. There are also places on the beach there who will rent you a couple of chairs and an umbrella for a couple of hours if you want a beach break before sailing.

• Like 1