Transfer Savona to Genoa airport

Blackmore

Hi

Anyone else traveling from Savona to Genoa Airport on the 17th April 2016 to catch flight BA 2689 to Gatwick new departure time of 11.45.Looking to share a taxi or mini bus from cruise port departing at 08.30?

A bit more complicated, but MUCH cheaper: take a taxi from the cruise port to the railway station in Savona and a train to Genoa (Sestri Ponente, aka airport station). The train fare is only 8 Euros for 2 people.

A bit more complicated, but MUCH cheaper: take a taxi from the cruise port to the railway station in Savona and a train to Genoa (Sestri Ponente, aka airport station). The train fare is only 8 Euros for 2 people.

But much longer! The OPer is flying at 11.45 so needs to be at the airport at 10.15 - if the ship docks at 0800 things would be tight! The ship would not want to be late clearing!

It looks like the only ship in Savona on 17th. April, due to arrive at 09:00. The Op should do self disembarkation (carrying own luggage off) don't know if Costa allows it, and have a prebooked limo waiting (don't wait to try and get a taxi in Savona). I would not share a van / taxi, not knowing if the other sharers are dependable.

I personally would not chance it, be worrying all the time on the cruise. Check Nice - Gatwick, several good connections and cheap.

Edited by G.M.T.

Hi,

I'll be embarking at a cruise in Savona Lat in the year and had thought getting a taxi into Genoa main train station would be best. Is Sestri Ponente right at the airport itself? Can you access it from the arrivals hall or do you need to exit the terminal and walk somewhere else?

Thank you.

Hi,

I'll be embarking at a cruise in Savona Lat in the year and had thought getting a taxi into Genoa main train station would be best. Is Sestri Ponente right at the airport itself? Can you access it from the arrivals hall or do you need to exit the terminal and walk somewhere else?

Thank you.

Sestri Ponente is a local suburban railway station, trains from Savona take about 1 hour (stopping at all stations), this is the nearest station tothe Airport but there is no physical connection, being about 3 km away.

We are facing much the same problem for our cruise in March, as our flights from Munich arrive too late in Genoa, the last time we flew in a day earlier and stayed at a hotel near the airport and took the Costa transfer, never again it was chaos and we got on the ship about 45 minutes before sailing. For our March cruise I asked Costa if we could book their transfer for the day before and stay in a hotel in Savona - Costa will not allow it. So we are arranging a Limo service from the airport to Savona, enjoy an afternoon and evening by the sea and get to the terminal early next morning.

Mairi, have you heard anything new about which ship you will be on fro your cruise to Dubai?

Here are a couple of links that maybe useful:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194918-i21949-k8065427-Sestri_Ponente_train_station_to_airport-Sestri_Ponente_Province_of_Genoa_Liguria.html

http://www.genovaairport.com/getting-to-genova-airport.htm

Hi,

Thank you.

It's not right at the airport, but not far. It's considered the airport railway station, though. The name is Sestri Ponente Aeroporto. The Regionale Veloce train takes only 27 minutes from Savona, and only costs €4 per person. Check out lefrecce.it for timetables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sestri Ponente is a local suburban railway station, trains from Savona take about 1 hour (stopping at all stations), this is the nearest station tothe Airport but there is no physical connection, being about 3 km away.

We are facing much the same problem for our cruise in March, as our flights from Munich arrive too late in Genoa, the last time we flew in a day earlier and stayed at a hotel near the airport and took the Costa transfer, never again it was chaos and we got on the ship about 45 minutes before sailing. For our March cruise I asked Costa if we could book their transfer for the day before and stay in a hotel in Savona - Costa will not allow it. So we are arranging a Limo service from the airport to Savona, enjoy an afternoon and evening by the sea and get to the terminal early next morning.

Mairi, have you heard anything new about which ship you will be on fro your cruise to Dubai?

Here are a couple of links that maybe useful:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194918-i21949-k8065427-Sestri_Ponente_train_station_to_airport-Sestri_Ponente_Province_of_Genoa_Liguria.html

http://www.genovaairport.com/getting-to-genova-airport.htm

Thanks Ron.

Heard today that I've been switched to neoClassica leaving one day earlier from Savona instead of Venice.

I can't decide on whether to just get a taxi into Genoa and stay overnight at a hotel near the station, or spend the night in Savona. The Gatwick flights used to land just after 2pm so I have time to do either.

Thanks Ron.

Heard today that I've been switched to neoClassica leaving one day earlier from Savona instead of Venice.

I can't decide on whether to just get a taxi into Genoa and stay overnight at a hotel near the station, or spend the night in Savona. The Gatwick flights used to land just after 2pm so I have time to do either.

I recommend staying in the Best Western Porto Antico in Genoa City Centre - 7 mins direct walk to / from the train station.

You could even squeeze a visit to the Aquarium or one of the Palaces before you head to Savona to embark! :D

The walk to the train station is about 20 minutes, 1.7 km. 839da0f6c4b281ec42fd318bded3bbef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I'll bear it in mind as an option for a future cruise, but as this one will be a 23 day one, I'll be too laden with luggage to manage that.

Thanks for that. I'll bear it in mind as an option for a future cruise, but as this one will be a 23 day one, I'll be too laden with luggage to manage that.

With that long of a cruise, that's probably the better choice. You could also consider a taxi from the airport to the train station or vice versa. BTW I see that you've cruised a lot with MSC. I'd love to hear about your experiences. I considered them when booking our Caribbean cruise next year. Feel free to send me a PM, if you wish. All the best, Stephen

With that long of a cruise, that's probably the better choice. You could also consider a taxi from the airport to the train station or vice versa. BTW I see that you've cruised a lot with MSC. I'd love to hear about your experiences. I considered them when booking our Caribbean cruise next year. Feel free to send me a PM, if you wish. All the best, Stephen

I don't think PMs are possible on here as they are on Tripadvisor?

MSC have a lot of similarities to Costa, maybe a bit more Italian except on sailings out of the US where's they tone it down a bit and adjust for the US market.

Their ships are really beautiful and elegant. Lots of natural wood, marble, polished metals etc colours more understated than say on the Favolosa but that wouldn't be hard! I think the layouts are more open and allow more light. The fleet is certainly much newer than Costa's.

Their onshore service is more chaotic. When it all goes well, it goes well but trying to get detailed information can be a challenge. Their website is quirky at best. They're not good at communicating promptly unless by Facebook.

Most people who enjoy Cosat will enjoy MSC and vice versa.

• 1 year later...
How long would it take to take a taxi from Savona after our cruise to the Geneoa Airport!

Depending on the day, 35 to 45 minutes, last one took 55 minute during rush hour.

It has never been more than our last cruise which was last Wednesday at 9 15am taking the 55 minutes.