Costa Deliziosa ex Venice - 10th April

heathstockton4

Novice cruise family, only been on 2 x Thomson Cruises previously so trying something different and like this itinerary

Have the chance to upgrade to a Premium Balcony on Deliziosa, any advice on this and experience of particular cabins ?

Have also been trying to find out about evening dining, is it set times or flexible as seem to have read both

The drinks package seems reasonable so will get that, believe this is done when on board and not before.

Any other tips/advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Can't give you much advice on the cabins and I've been on her twice! We sailed from Venice in November and was on deck 5. We actually used the balcony because it was amazingly warm.

I am not aware of any time dining on Deliziosa unless they have changed it since November. 2 sittings in MDR I think 6.30 and 8.45.

You can buy the drinks package before you go. They have changed it. There are now different packages. The most basic one is really just that. The intermediate one costs about 29 Euro a person per day and includes water, wine by the glass(limited choice but always been fine-red;white and I think rose), lots of cocktails. If you go on the Costa site and look under already booked , you'll find it. It's really good value for money as premium teas and quite a few coffees are included. They only coffee missing is an Americano type!

Lots of bars with different entertainment. The shows are mostly OK. The occasional absolute drivel. My husband likes the costa dancers. Might have something to do with them being scantily clad. Their singers are usually good. They have a thing for ventiloquists and magicians. Not my cup of tea and thought hopeless.

You won't be taken too your caben on arrival but there are lots of signs around so it's easy. Your costa card will be on the bed in your cabin on arrival. Each passenger has their own.

Breakfast in buffet is cold foods. Lots though. Fruit salad, meats, cheese, pastries, yoghurt and salad! In the MDR you have a choice of warm breakfast like full english, american etc but also all the cold stuff.

Lunch is you are aboard is buffet or MDR. Buffet can be a bit of scrum but unlike some comments there is always lots of variety. Just look at different stations and you will find something extra. They have a pizza station and fresh pasta as well as burgers and hotdogs (pool deck end). MDR usually has about 3 courses with choices in each.

Evening meals have 5 courses: Starter, pasta, main, (salad), cheese and pudding. The portions are small but if you have all of them you will not be hungry.

There is an afternoon tea but we skip that. You eat far too much on a cruise anyway.

You will have a little newspaper in your cabin every day. They used to call it "Today" but now it's something like"Diario di bordo". It's full of info about the next day. It includes where you have to meet for excursions, which deck has the exit, the entertainment for the day and evening themes , whether formal etc. Take it with you when you go ashore because it has the local costa contact number on it.

Have a nice cruise. We are on the Diadema from tomorrow and I still have to pack!

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what you are upgrading from.

The classic cabins are identical to the "premium" cabins, only difference is position and....you can have room service breakfast in premium, but pay in classic.

If like me you like to start with a coffee and pastries....go premium.

The other difference....in premium you can pick dinner time. Like the other poster, 2 sittings, not freestyle. Which for us with small children, smallest now 7, we prefer the early sitting. If you go classic cabin you will probably get late sitting and have to queue to change it. Thats not easy.

It also depends on how many you are! Inside cabins are small for 3 or 4, but outside cabins and balcony cabins are identical in size, just window or balcony. In warmer months we go for a balcony as its lovely....no need in cooler months so we save with outside cabins.

April for me would depend on the price, we are going in end May/June so have balcony.

The drinks package can be purchased onboard, just go to the first bar you see and they can do it at any. It is good value.

You will hate the breakfast arrangement, hot usually finishes at 09:00 and we are never organised by then...we are on holiday!!! So its cold buffet for us usually...(or cheat and have room service hot!).

Costa and Thompson could not be more different. Costa are much bigger ships. Its got at least 5 nationalities and all the announcements are done 5 times! The theatre shows are generally not spoken, due to the language difficulties. Lots of singing and dancing.....nothing like Thompson.

The staff are the same as all cruise lines, hard working and always ready to help and smile. The officers and management are Italian, a bit short in temper!

Having said that we love Costa, always had a great time and soak up the Italian atmosphere. The ship decor is well over the top and we love it! They are always spotless, the food is plentiful and quality and we have had cabins all over the ships, if you have a look at some of my cruise reviews and other answers you will see where!

• 2 weeks later...