Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Is there a way to stop this insanity?

I put him on my ignore list a long time ago.

When you guys quote him I skim through his posts just for laughs.

IMO he posts here just for responses.

Anyway, nice to see so many still posting here with useful information and pictures.

I hope y'all are off to a wonderful start to the New Year!

Found this dated Jan 13, 2016. This is a close-up view of what we see in the webcam at about the same angle. The big "COSTA CONCORDIA" sign on the side is at the deck 5 level, for reference.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/the-cruise-ship-costa-concordia-is-dismantled-in-the-port-news-photo/504811300

Thanks for the link! :)

A comparison using one of the pictures in the link above and a very good picture from its former glory days found in Wikipedia (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Costa_Concordia_in_Palma,_Majorca,_Spain.JPG) I made this side-by-side comparison.

Project6.jpg

The bow thruster symbols visible in the Wikipedia picture are at the deck 0 level and the anchor sits between the deck 1 and 2 level. This means that deck 0 is still flooded or partially flooded (based on chengkp75 observation that the bow is higher than the stern). If they have not yet pumped out the water inside, then decks A and below are still flooded.

Hm, the hull is full of water everywhere below present waterline just above deck #0 and cannot be pumped out for obvious reasons = multiple hull structural leakages due to initial contact port side/bilge aft, capsize (starboard side fwd/aft), sinking and not to forget parbuckling (starboard bilge fwd/aft) and 25 open watertight doors in all bulkheads. The only reason why the wreck is floating is the external sponsons providing buoyancy.

Only way to remove the sponsons is to provide permanent buoyancy inside the damaged, water filled hull. And how to do the latter? Pump out intact hull compartments? Not so easy with the watertight doors open. Intact double bottom tanks? Then you must get the water out and air in through air pipes and ballast pump pipe connections. Etc, etc.

Decks A, B and C are full of rotten crew accommodation fwd of the engine rooms.

Personally I think it is not possible to create the internal buoyancy, so easiest solution is to tow out what remains of the water filled wreck/empty sponsons and sink it all outside Genoa, e.g. adjacent to T/T Haven. icon7.gif

Hm, the hull is full of water everywhere below present waterline just above deck #0 and cannot be pumped out for obvious reasons = multiple hull structural leakages due to initial contact port side/bilge aft, capsize (starboard side fwd/aft), sinking and not to forget parbuckling (starboard bilge fwd/aft) and 25 open watertight doors in all bulkheads. The only reason why the wreck is floating is the external sponsons providing buoyancy.

Only way to remove the sponsons is to provide permanent buoyancy inside the damaged, water filled hull. And how to do the latter? Pump out intact hull compartments? Not so easy with the watertight doors open. Intact double bottom tanks? Then you must get the water out and air in through air pipes and ballast pump pipe connections. Etc, etc.

Decks A, B and C are full of rotten crew accommodation fwd of the engine rooms.

Personally I think it is not possible to create the internal buoyancy, so easiest solution is to tow out what remains of the water filled wreck/empty sponsons and sink it all outside Genoa, e.g. adjacent to T/T Haven. icon7.gif

Sink it? ROFLAMO....Just got my morning laugh for the day. :D

Sink it? ROFLAMO....Just got my morning laugh for the day. :D

Yeah, just a snack for the troll, but when I consider his statement that there is no VDR data, but the Italian Ministry of Transport report says there is, and it also says that all the watertight doors were closed, who would I believe, the government inspectors or someone who claims that only he knows the truth? There is also an eyewitness who stated the watertight doors were closed.

And, oh yeah, we spent all this time and money to date, but never figured out how to float the ship, so I guess we'll just throw that money out and go sink the hulk. :rolleyes:

chengkp75,

I know you feel like you are tilting at windmills when you respond to heiwaco, but I find your responses increase my general knowledge of cruise ships etc. Answering questions, that I hadn't thought to ask, or didn't know how to word and the appropriate place to post.

So thanks

Photo's of the interior............

Yes, those photos were taken several months ago, and by now, virtually everything that is above water has been stripped to the bare steel. That had to be done to mediate the hazardous materials so the welders could get in and start cutting. Heiwaco is correct, that there are still areas that are flooded, and there will need to be remediation and removal measures taken once those areas are above water. I don't agree that the entire area below the partition deck cannot be pumped, because even if "all" the watertight doors were left open, there is not a door at the forward end of the engine room, so all areas forward of that are separate (in the one or two decks just below the partition deck that contain crew quarters and laundry and such).

Just noticed that a section of the structures above the starboard sponsons was removed and now part of decks 4, 5 and 6 are visible. Wonder if those sponsons are going to be removed next. The image in the webcam is too hazy to see which sponsons are these. I think it is 2 sponsons.

A marine salvage legend well known for his role in raising the Costa Concordia has past away following a freak snowboarding accident in Utah.

gCaptain has learned that former Salvage Master and managing director of TITAN Salvage, Captain Richard Habib, was killed January 10th on an inbounds ski slope at Park City Mountain Resort in Park City, Utah.

Captain Rich Habib in front of the Costa Concordia in Italy. Photo: Crowley

Captain Rich Habib in front of the Costa Concordia in Italy. Photo: Crowley

According to Summit County Sherriff’s Office, Rich, 60, had been snowboarding and was found unconscious by ski patrol at about 3:45 p.m. Habib was taken down the mountain for a helicopter medevac to a Salt Lake City hospital, but he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Rich rejoined the TITAN Salvage, part of Crowley Maritime Corporation, as managing director in 2011 and served in that capacity until 2014 when the decision was made to merge TITAN and Svitzer Salvage into a new company called Ardent.

During his tenure, he was an integral leader in many marine salvage and wreck removal efforts, Crowley tells gCaptain. He was perhaps best known for his role in the effort to raise and refloat the Costa Concordia in Italy, the largest marine salvage job in history, where Habib worked alongside Senior Salvage Master Nick Sloane.

rich habib and nick sloane

Capt. Rich Habib with Senior Salvage Master Nick Sloane, right, following the successful parbuckling of the Costa Concordia in Sept. 2013. Photo credit: Giglio News

In 2006, Rich was credited with saving the Cougar Ace, a car carrier that lost stability and was in danger of running aground in the Aleutian Islands. Rich and his effort to save the ship were later chronicled by Wired Magazine in the feature story High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace.

Rich began his career in the U.S. Coast Guard after graduating from the Coast Guard Academy in 1977. He went on to serve in various posts including commanding officer of a patrol boat and rescue station. At one point he was exchanged to the U.S. Navy, where he served a tour aboard a frigate. After leaving the Coast Guard in 1984, he worked in the oil field aboard supply boats and later specialized in the international tramp heavy lift trade aboard Dock Express and Van Ommeren vessels where he sailed as master and was a project manager.

Rich first joined TITAN Salvage in 2001, beginning as a jack-up barge superintendent and becoming a salvage master and director of salvage. He left TITAN in 2008 to join another salvage company before returning to TITAN in 2011.

Among Rich’s survivors are his wife Lindsay Malen, former director of business development for TITAN and the Marine Response Alliance, and their newborn baby girl Isabella.

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

A while ago I took a quick glance at the Genoa webcam before the sunset and was lucky enough to catch a big chunk at the exact moment it began to be lifted out. I captured a series of images as the thing was carried away. I was finally able to watch the entire process without anyone taking over the camera. The big chunk is from decks 5 and 6 in the area where the sponson structures (which I now think are S11 and S12) were removed previously.

Project2_3.jpg

Notice the huge gaping hole left.

Project3_2.jpg

And this is the area where the sections are being taken to and recycled. See the floating crane, a section of the main atrium glass roof and parts of the sponsons.

Project4_2.jpg

This is the place in Google Maps. https://goo.gl/maps/WkLHAAn19D12

Edited by luisrp

Noticed that they have been removing the pipes and structures from atop more starboard sponsons and what's left of the ship becoming more visible. They have done that in the long sponson S3, one more of the short sponsons after midship and possible the last two (S14 and S15). Perhaps getting ready to remove them??? Or simply to provide better access to the floating crane?

Does anyone know when the ship will be moved to dry dock for the final demolition phase? Also what happens to the water that is still inside the ship?

Does it have to be pumped onto barges to be processed and filtered before it can be released back into the sea.

Great pictures keep them coming.

TJ

Looking at the webcam, sponsons 2, 3 & 4 (counting from the bow) look to be floating at an angle/listing, as though they are not now supporting any of CC's weight.

Guessing they are now awaiting collection/removal?

Edited by CTH

Yesterday it was so windy you could actgually see the ship moving in the webcam. The large sponson S3 appears to be still attached by the top tp the side of the ship but was seen floating freely like you described. It seems like the cables that hold the bottom attached are gone and in fact the structures on top (pipes and jacks and everything) are gone leaving decks 3 and 4 visible. Also I noticed that sponson P1 has been detached from the ship and is just tied alongside next to the bow.

Does anyone know when the ship will be moved to dry dock for the final demolition phase? Also what happens to the water that is still inside the ship?

Does it have to be pumped onto barges to be processed and filtered before it can be released back into the sea.

Great pictures keep them coming.

TJ

The water from inside the ship will most likely (depending on Italian environmental laws) be pumped to barges and dealt with as if it was an oil spill, or hazmat spill. Again, depending on the laws, if she goes to a graving dock to be dismantled (as opposed to a floating dock), they may want to treat all the water from the dock. They did this when the Exxon Valdez went into drydock.

Looking at the webcam, sponsons 2, 3 & 4 (counting from the bow) look to be floating at an angle/listing, as though they are not now supporting any of CC's weight.

Guessing they are now awaiting collection/removal?

Can you post screen photo.

to me, S3 seems to be the only one floating on its own. S2 and S4 appear to be in the same positions. S14 and S15 may be gone but I can't tell from the webcam any longer. Seems the sponsons have just been moved and tied up along the salvage area once they are plucked from the wreck.

I wish the ship recycling website would post some photos or an update. It's about due for their 1-2 month update anyway, but it would be nice if they would make a weekly update/report and a few images like the parbuckling project used to make through Giglio.

Lightman, you are correct, my mistake! Sponson S3 appears to be floating on it's own, I'd forgotten that S3 is in fact the horizontally positioned sponson which looks almost the equivalent of 3 vertical sponsons in a row.

Ken, sorry but afraid I don't know how to do screen photo on laptop.

They took a chunk out from straight above the blister tank yesterday, I'm guessing that now shows/represents the deck level they are cutting down to along the majority of CC's hull before moving her to dry dock?

Yeap, that was the sponson (S3) I reported a few days ago as being detached from the bottom and floating freely though still attached to the shop at the top.

The section removed near the bow corresponds to decks 4 and 3. The flat area that was there before this section was removed used to be the floor of deck 5. There is not much in the way of structures there since this is where the theater was located which goes from deck 3 (stage and lounge level) through decks 4 and 5 where the main seating areas were located.