What Happens If You Are Denied Boarding...

...due to issues with documentation or arriving too late at the terminal after embarkation has closed? Is the fare refunded or are you just out of luck? This question is inspired by the TLC show "Extreme Cruise Ships" which I have just watched. Several groups were denied boarding because of various problems with their passports/i.d. There was no mention of refunds or future cruise credits.

Edited by ronandannette

...due to issues with documentation or arriving too late at the terminal after embarkation has closed? Is the fare refunded or are you just out of luck? This question is inspired by the TLC show "Extreme Cruise Ships" which I have just watched. Several groups were denied boarding because of various problems with their passports/i.d. There was no mention of refunds or future cruise credits.

There are no refunds for improper or inadequate ID. The cruise contract carefully places responsibility/blame for this on the passenger.

Where were the cruises? Any itinerary other than closed loops for US Citizens require passports. It is as simple as that.

Only US citizens can use birth certificates and photo ID, and then, only on closed loop itineraries.

All others, including green card holders, need a passport from their country of origin.

One other possible problem with a passport....for some countries/itineraries, a passport must be valid for up to 6 months beyond the projected date of departure from that country.

As has been mentioned you are out of luck. No refund, no future cruise credit, simply nothing at all, except maybe a "have a safe ride back home"

There are no refunds for improper or inadequate ID. The cruise contract carefully places responsibility/blame for this on the passenger.

Where were the cruises? Any itinerary other than closed loops for US Citizens require passports. It is as simple as that.

Only US citizens can use birth certificates and photo ID, and then, only on closed loop itineraries.

All others, including green card holders, need a passport from their country of origin.

One other possible problem with a passport....for some countries/itineraries, a passport must be valid for up to 6 months beyond the projected date of departure from that country.

As I recall the show that the OP is discussing the passengers did not have permission form an absent parent to take minors on the cruise. There was also a couple who had been married the day before. The woman booked the cruise in a married name but had no id or marriage certificate to match teh booking.

The only monies that would be refunded would be pre-paid gratuities, if applicable.

And port fees and taxes. And probably prepaid excursions and dining reservations. Fixed costs, such as the cruise fare, are forfeited. But variable costs, such as port fees, etc, are refunded.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Just about every cruise ship goes out with one (or more) guests denied boarding. It is the guests' responsibility to have all appropriate travel documents and arrive in time to board the ship per instructions. No refunds are given but for the port fees etc as mentioned above.

You get a great picture, of the cruise ship leaving you behind....

Depending on the reason you were late, your insurance might cover it and get you to the port, or give you your money back. But for missing/incorrect documentation, you are SOL.

you are SOL. no refunds, no credit, no nothin'

It's up to YOU to make sure you have what you need to take your vacation, whether it's a cruise or not. Same with life....it's up to YOU, despite what some in the government would have you believe.

YOU are responsible for YOU.

It is the guests' responsibility to have all appropriate travel documents.

Saw two couples denied boarding in FLL for a Cruise to Manaus because they did not have proof of Yellow Fever shots. Required for Brazil.

Saw a couple, at LAX, denied boarding a flight to Beijing because they did have Visas.

Saw two couples denied boarding in FLL for a Cruise to Manaus because they did not have proof of Yellow Fever shots. Required for Brazil.

Saw a couple, at LAX, denied boarding a flight to Beijing because they did have Visas.

Why would the fact that they had visas deny them boarding? I do not get it.

DON

Saw a couple, at LAX, denied boarding a flight to Beijing because they did NOT have Visas.

Why would the fact that they had visas deny them boarding? I do not get it.

Ooooops:o

My bad -- Was a typo.

As I recall the show that the OP is discussing the passengers did not have permission form an absent parent to take minors on the cruise. There was also a couple who had been married the day before. The woman booked the cruise in a married name but had no id or marriage certificate to match teh booking.

Yes, this was the show. Both of the families you mentioned ended up getting on but there were 2 others with passport issues that did not. The reason I asked the question is that on the show, both the families denied boarding seemed calm and non-combative. I imagine many people in similar circumstances would be freaking out and wondered if there hadn't already been some discussion of refunds or remediation off-screen. Heck, I've seen people on cruises lose it because they wait too long in the tender line or the DR waiter doesn't bring lemon for tea. The thought of forfeiting $$$ would push some cruisers I've seen right over the edge...

The closest we've personally ever come to this situation was forgetting our pre-printed boarding passes at home when we cruised out of San Juan. I thought this would be a MAJOR crisis but found instead that a quick check of the passenger manifest had us on in a jiffy - none of the stuff we forgot was needed at all. (;) We also ended up bypassing the regular line-ups by having to be cleared by the port agent). I, for one, although I realize it would have been my fault, would have been at least weepy if we'd been left behind.

In nearly all cases if you are denied boarding you are totally out of luck. You must get back home at your own expense and will usually eat the cost of the cruise. Any why not? Folks keep ignoring the rules, the biggie being documentation. Many of us very experienced cruisers/travelers here on CC always urge cruisers to invest in a Passport. But many, in order to save some money, decide to gamble their entire trip cost on questionable documents which may or may not work.

You can still find many of these threads all over CC where some of us advise folks to get Passports and we are met with all kinds of arguments why they are a waste of money. Forty-five years of extensive international travel and cruising has taught me to not take any trip out of the USA without a valid passport in hand.

As to the issue with minors not with both parents, this has also been discussed here on CC many times. We do have some sympathy for those caught in this situation (most do not get caught) as the law and regulations are just not that commonly understood. I can recall when we would sometimes take DDs g/f on a driving trip (within the USA) to the shore and we always insisted in a notarized document from the parents allowing us to act in parental locus as well as giving us permission to make emergency medical decisions in the event that the parents could not be contacted. Some would call this being overly cautious, but we call it good common sense.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes, this was the show. Both of the families you mentioned ended up getting on but there were 2 others with passport issues that did not. The reason I asked the question is that on the show, both the families denied boarding seemed calm and non-combative. I imagine many people in similar circumstances would be freaking out and wondered if there hadn't already been some discussion of refunds or remediation off-screen. Heck, I've seen people on cruises lose it because they wait too long in the tender line or the DR waiter doesn't bring lemon for tea. The thought of forfeiting $$$ would push some cruisers I've seen right over the edge...

The closest we've personally ever come to this situation was forgetting our pre-printed boarding passes at home when we cruised out of San Juan. I thought this would be a MAJOR crisis but found instead that a quick check of the passenger manifest had us on in a jiffy - none of the stuff we forgot was needed at all. (;) We also ended up bypassing the regular line-ups by having to be cleared by the port agent). I, for one, although I realize it would have been my fault, would have been at least weepy if we'd been left behind.

Boarding passes are the least of your worries.

In nearly all cases if you are denied boarding you are totally out of luck. You must get back home at your own expense and will usually eat the cost of the cruise. Any why not? Folks keep ignoring the rules, the biggie being documentation. Many of us very experienced cruisers/travelers here on CC always urge cruisers to invest in a Passport. But many, in order to save some money, decide to gamble their entire trip cost on questionable documents which may or may not work.

You can still find many of these threads all over CC where some of us advise folks to get Passports and we are met with all kinds of arguments why they are a waste of money. Forty-five years of extensive international travel and cruising has taught me to not take any trip out of the USA without a valid passport in hand.

As to the issue with minors not with both parents, this has also been discussed here on CC many times. We do have some sympathy for those caught in this situation (most do not get caught) as the law and regulations are just not that commonly understood. I can recall when we would sometimes take DDs g/f on a driving trip (within the USA) to the shore and we always insisted in a notarized document from the parents allowing us to act in parental locus as well as giving us permission to make emergency medical decisions in the event that the parents could not be contacted. Some would call this being overly cautious, but we call it good common sense.

Hank

I just wonder if this show (I don't want any on that channel) went through what these people should have done so that others know not to make the same mistakes. And point out that because these are all preventable mistakes so that the cruise lines have no obligation to do anything in these cases.

1. Make sure you have the proper documentation. Passports serve as proper ID, are good for ten years (except minor ones -- I'm about to renew my daughters for the third time, but this time it'll be her adult one), and will enable you to board an airline in an another country if need be.

In the case of a woman on her honeymoon, you should book your travel in your maiden name so it matches your ID. After you return, then get a valid copy of your marriage license so you can change your IDs if you're changing your name.

2. If you're traveling with your child, but not with the other parent, you need to get permission from that parent notarized. That's to ensure that you won't get accuse of "kidnapping" your child. If there's circumstances where you can't, go through a lawyer. If you're traveling with a child you're not the legal guardian of, get the parents' approval in writing, again notarized as well as a permission for medical treatment.

You might not be asked for these documents, but just in case you'll have them.

3. Don't be late to the ship. If you're not in an easy drive to the port, go the day before and stay in a hotel. There's always the possibility of a late season storm, an early hurricane, mechanical problems, cancelled flights, labor problems, etc. Don't plan to try to get to the pier an half hour before sailaway.

I just wonder if this show (I don't want any on that channel) went through what these people should have done so that others know not to make the same mistakes. And point out that because these are all preventable mistakes so that the cruise lines have no obligation to do anything in these cases.

No, this show did not. It was about how a ship is run, not a seminar on how to prepare for a cruise.

Edited by SantaFeFan