Three under three on Vision of the Seas !

whenthecatsaway

we are greatly looking forward to our October TA On Vision of the Seas but do have a couple of concerns around the logistics of managing a tandem pram (with twins in it) a toddler (on baby reins- didn't like the detachable boogie board for the twins pram) and luggage.

No concerns about being on board (or the airport as there'll be luggage trolleys) but it's boarding and disembarking the ship in all that chaos I'm thinking of. 😳

Anyone got any helpful suggestions or useful tips?

we are greatly looking forward to our October TA On Vision of the Seas but do have a couple of concerns around the logistics of managing a tandem pram (with twins in it) a toddler (on baby reins- didn't like the detachable boogie board for the twins pram) and luggage.

No concerns about being on board (or the airport as there'll be luggage trolleys) but it's boarding and disembarking the ship in all that chaos I'm thinking of. [emoji15]

Anyone got any helpful suggestions or useful tips?

What cabin did you book? If junior suite or higher, you can get priority boarding. We had Grand Suite on Grandeur (same class as Vision), and the priority disembark was awesome - left our bags out the night before, and walked off by concierge in the morning. Was great with little guy as there was no waiting.

Second tip. After you board, if you are looking for place to crash after you board, head up to Viking Crown Lounge. It is usually empty. One of you can stay with bags and kids while the other grabs a sandwich from Park Cafe or Windjammer. During sea days, when VCL is not closed for private events, it is also a great place to go. Dark enough that the little ones can nap in the stroller, and there are two elevators that go directly to the lounge.

For embarkation and disembarkation won't there be porters there when you arrive? You give them your luggage and tip them and they take it where it needs to go. On disembarkation, you put your luggage outside the door of your cabin the night before and it will be waiting for you (amongst thousands of other pieces of luggage) after you clear customs. Again, porters should be available to help take your luggage to your vehicle or other mode of transport.

What cabin did you book? If junior suite or higher, you can get priority boarding. We had Grand Suite on Grandeur (same class as Vision), and the priority disembark was awesome - left our bags out the night before, and walked off by concierge in the morning. Was great with little guy as there was no waiting.

Second tip. After you board, if you are looking for place to crash after you board, head up to Viking Crown Lounge. It is usually empty. One of you can stay with bags and kids while the other grabs a sandwich from Park Cafe or Windjammer. During sea days, when VCL is not closed for private events, it is also a great place to go. Dark enough that the little ones can nap in the stroller, and there are two elevators that go directly to the lounge.

That's good to know. We're in a Family Oceanview though but will definitely use the Viking lounge for downtime ::)

For embarkation and disembarkation won't there be porters there when you arrive? You give them your luggage and tip them and they take it where it needs to go. On disembarkation, you put your luggage outside the door of your cabin the night before and it will be waiting for you (amongst thousands of other pieces of luggage) after you clear customs. Again, porters should be available to help take your luggage to your vehicle or other mode of transport.

I guess I'm thinking more about navigating the customs bit etc. When we leave out our luggage the night before a TA disembarkation, when do we see it again ? After customs or literally when we get off the ship and go to the marquees?

Edited by whenthecatsaway

I guess I'm thinking more about navigating the customs bit etc. When we leave out our luggage the night before a TA disembarkation, when do we see it again ? After customs or literally when we get off the ship and go to the marquees?

I am not sure if this varies by port, but when we sailed out of Baltimore, the luggage was waiting for us after customs. We also dropped off luggage to porters before we entered security.

Every port I've sailed out of in the US and Europe it has been waiting after customs and there are porters there to help. So hopefully thats the case for you guys as well and hopefully it puts your mind at ease!

Every port I've sailed out of in the US and Europe it has been waiting after customs and there are porters there to help. So hopefully thats the case for you guys as well and hopefully it puts your mind at ease!

We sail from NYC, and always get luggage before customs. You can get a porter to help you with the luggage, and they bring you through a shorter customs line - well worth the $.

We sail from NYC, and always get luggage before customs. You can get a porter to help you with the luggage, and they bring you through a shorter customs line - well worth the $.

Ahh good to know! We've sailed out of Brooklyn but not Manhattan yet...we will be in a few weeks though and with only one toddler in tow unlike OP and their 3 so I'm happy to hear that even though you pick up before customs there are still porters!

A relief to know when we arrive in Tampa from Boston that I'll only have the little people and the overnight hand luggage which we'll aim to keep to as bare a minimum as possible (given the huge amount of paraphernalia that babies seem to need !) to manage.

What time does luggage go out on the final evening ? It's only been 18 months since my last TA but sleep deprivation has eradicated my memory !!!

I've been cruising alone with my twins since they were toddlers and, as everyone has said, it's completely manageable. I check everything except what we absolutely need until we get to the room (keeping in mind there can be a long wait). Though there's tons of food once you get on the ship, I try not to board hungry since the lines can be so chaotic and long that first afternoon, so we can find a place to play rather than brave the buffet. I also bring extra water, snacks, diapers for the kids just in case.

The last night, I'm careful to make sure to pack everything we don't need the next day and put most everything outside the door. (I triple check - my nightmare is packing all the shoes and one of us not having something to wear the next day). Since the wait can be long the last day, I find the quietest place possible and just try to let the kids play until it's time to go.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I've been cruising alone with my twins since they were toddlers and' date=' as everyone has said, it's completely manageable. I check everything except what we absolutely need until we get to the room (keeping in mind there can be a long wait). Though there's tons of food once you get on the ship, I try not to board hungry since the lines can be so chaotic and long that first afternoon, so we can find a place to play rather than brave the buffet. I also bring extra water, snacks, diapers for the kids just in case.

The last night, I'm careful to make sure to pack everything we don't need the next day and put most everything outside the door. (I triple check - my nightmare is packing all the shoes and one of us not having something to wear the next day). Since the wait can be long the last day, I find the quietest place possible and just try to let the kids play until it's time to go.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks Mia