First Time Cruiser's

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are honeymooning in Canada at the end of June, we are touring the rocky mountains and then cruising to Alaska for the last 7 days of our honeymoon on the MS Volendam.

This is our very first Cruise so we have no idea what to expect or how to pack for the cruise, we have read several websites about clothing for cruises and most of them say Khaki's , Collared polo's , Suits etc I was just wondering if anyone can help us with ideas on what to pack for our cruise.

many thanks in advance

Nigel and Hollie

Bournemouth UK:D

Yes...casual wear is the "outfit of the day"....in Alaska, plan for layers....it can be chilly, or HOT! You never know in the middle of the summer! I would bring at least 1 pair of shorts, in case the temps get into the 80's...it's possible!

Your ship will have at least 1 formal night (unless you're on NCL or Carnival!) so if you want to participate in the "dressing up", bring something appropriately fancy...you are under no obligation to do so, however.

Jeans, khakis, etc..are fine.

Edited by cb at sea

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are honeymooning in Canada at the end of June, we are touring the rocky mountains and then cruising to Alaska for the last 7 days of our honeymoon on the MS Volendam.

This is our very first Cruise so we have no idea what to expect or how to pack for the cruise, we have read several websites about clothing for cruises and most of them say Khaki's , Collared polo's , Suits etc I was just wondering if anyone can help us with ideas on what to pack for our cruise.

many thanks in advance

Nigel and Hollie

Alaskan temps vary widely, so plan on layers. Rain is inevitable, so some type of waterproof jacket, hat and gloves are helpful. Khakis and collared shirts are fine for most evening meals; for women - slacks with nice tops, casual dresses, will be fine. Mix and match to eliminate overpacking; evening clothing can be worn more than once! Dressy nights run the gamut from tuxes to sport coat and tie; I've not been on Holland America, so I don't know how dressy people get there. My husband wears a sport coat over a light sweater and has never been turned away. If you don't want to dress up, the buffet is always available or other pay venues.

Daytime is very casual, even in the eating venues. Shorts, jeans, cargo pants, t-shirts rule.

Enjoy!!

Good Afternoon,

many thanks in advance

Nigel and Hollie

Welcome to CC and Holland America Lines (HAL). Congratulations on your marriage.

Recommend you join your HAL Roll Call as well as the HAL Forum to get answers to your questions.

Alaska is very casual with jeans and polo shirts in the majority. Add a sweatshirt and weatherproof outer shell to be ready for the chill of whale watching in Juneau.

We just returned from Alaska on Saturday. A jacket with tie is required for Formal Nights but you can order the same meal for consumption in your stateroom if you wish to dine in a very casual manner. There is no requirement for dress shoes and I have seen hiking shoes worn. There will also be jackets available for temporary use at the Main Dining Room entrance. You may also rent a tuxedo through HAL for your two Formal Nights.

The ship offers unlimited laundry for $7/day for your stateroom. That should save you some luggage space and allow you to have clean clothes on your second day aboard ship.

To help with your planning, here are the menus that I have scanned for the Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, and Room Service (free 24/7):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

To give you an idea of daily activities in Alaska, here is a link to our On Locations:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

Good luck with your planning and have a great honeymoon.

Edited by Crew News

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Love the Volendam's itinerary -- leaving midweek and hitting the ports on the weekends when there are fewer ship in port.

If you do not wish to dress for the 2 formal nights in the dining room and you don't want to eat in your cabin, you can always go to the Lido for a buffet dinner. The food offered there for dinner is almost the same as the main dining room.

Good Afternoon,

many thanks in advance

Nigel and Hollie

In order

Welcome

Congratulations

Prepare for addiction [if you're like most].,

Glad to have found this forum.

First time cruiser here and yesterday we decided to do an Alaska Cruise tour this July. Wow - talk about lots of information, from itinerary, deck reviews, ship lines...ahhh

Two questions:

On the date that would work better for all of us - it is this itinerary:

- Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord (7 days out of Seattle)

Does not have Glacier bay?

Should I move all of our dates around to get the itinerary with Glacier bay?

(will require some creativity)

Welcome to CC and Holland America Lines (HAL). Congratulations on your marriage.

Recommend you join your HAL Roll Call as well as the HAL Forum to get answers to your questions.

Alaska is very casual with jeans and polo shirts in the majority. Add a sweatshirt and weatherproof outer shell to be ready for the chill of whale watching in Juneau.

We just returned from Alaska on Saturday. A jacket with tie is required for Formal Nights but you can order the same meal for consumption in your stateroom if you wish to dine in a very casual manner. There is no requirement for dress shoes and I have seen hiking shoes worn. There will also be jackets available for temporary use at the Main Dining Room entrance. You may also rent a tuxedo through HAL for your two Formal Nights.

The ship offers unlimited laundry for $7/day for your stateroom. That should save you some luggage space and allow you to have clean clothes on your second day aboard ship.

To help with your planning, here are the menus that I have scanned for the Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, and Room Service (free 24/7):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

To give you an idea of daily activities in Alaska, here is a link to our On Locations:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

Good luck with your planning and have a great honeymoon.

Thankyou so much for your reply this was very helpful and the menus look geat :)

Actually, we cruised once before in 2007 on a Carnival ship, I believe, from Rome to Venice and over to Barcelona and back to Civitivecchia for 12 days and it was a blast. Brought our three boys(college age) and one girlfriend. Remember bringing a suite and wearing it twice. Now on a Celebrity ship and am told you better bring a suit, for sure, on this boat. How do I pack a suit in a carry on suite case cuz no way am I taking as much luggage as I did last time? Is there some way to launder your clothes on board? Would love to travel much lighter this time. Any ideas would be helpful. Looking forward to going back to Istanbul- a jewel of a crowded city.Thanks!(Its the Equinox, btw)

Edited by letsdothisfunthing

Actually, we cruised once before in 2007 on a Carnival ship, I believe, from Rome to Venice and over to Barcelona and back to Civitivecchia for 12 days and it was a blast. Brought our three boys(college age) and one girlfriend. Remember bringing a suite and wearing it twice. Now on a Celebrity ship and am told you better bring a suit, for sure, on this boat. How do I pack a suit in a carry on suite case cuz no way am I taking as much luggage as I did last time? Is there some way to launder your clothes on board? Would love to travel much lighter this time. Any ideas would be helpful. Looking forward to going back to Istanbul- a jewel of a crowded city.Thanks!(Its the Equinox, btw)

I take my suit dirty and wrinkled send it to be cleaned and pressed as soon as I board, it costs less than on land :D:D

Next cruise I might take a few, I pay $20-$30 at home $10-$12 at sea.