Digital Postcards from Seabourn Sojourn

Solent Richard

31050812245_48d9b20912_z.jpg

My wife and I recently completed our first Seabourn cruise on the Sojourn. The week long cruise was entitled 'Yachtsman's Mediterranean.

We joined Seabourn Sojourn in Monte Carlo having booked 'cruise only' and making our own way there with a BA flight to Nice.

As equally attractive as the chance of sampling Seabourn was the itinerary...

30229816434_2e24f56f49_z.jpg

We had booked a late deal that entailed a 'guaranteed' 'Veranda Suite and some 2 weeks before sailing we were allocated Suite # 529...

30212243264_ef6dd7a356_z.jpg

Prior to joining we were bombarded with emails offering various upgrades, all at a cost, including one to an 'Owner's Suite' and 'Wintergreen Suite'.

Having a few cruises 'under my belt' I had done a little research and was grateful that I had picked up the tip on the Cruise Critic boards to book early a visit to Restaurant 2...

30212065074_26d764356d_z.jpg

...as we later discovered there were many disappointed guests for whom availability proved in the negative.

Probably the lasting memory, after the itinerary, was the entertainment and social life on board...

30807425406_38234ec560_z.jpg

The numerous deck parties and invites to dine with staff and the outstanding entertainers made this a fun cruise with never a dull moment but certainly a few hungover mornings...

30727577002_efa9b7991f_z.jpg

It being my first time with Seabourn there were one or two areas where my expectations were not met.

A full review including over 140 photographs from around the ship and from the itinerary can be found on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/11/17/seabourn-sojourn-yachtsmans-mediterranean/

Talking of itineraries. We purchased 3 Seabourn excursions and each one was excellent and good value for money.

A brief item on this amazing port of call which can be easily covered on foot.

It was a tender port and while heading ashore one can see a distinct diagonal line running down the face of the cliff below the tower...

30804974801_89ce566974_z.jpg

This is in fact a 187 step Staircase called The King of Aragon Steps (Escalier du Roi d’Aragon) …

30592022170_112458ef75_z.jpg

...and apart from leading to a fresh water grotto it also has a bit of history...

30804975681_d6968e60d5_z.jpg

What made my decent and ascent worthwhile was managing to get a picture of Seabourn Sojourn framed by the walls of the grotto...

30777092812_a9c3a3e68e_z.jpg

A brief item on this amazing port of call which can be easily covered on foot.

It was a tender port and while heading ashore one can see a distinct diagonal line running down the face of the cliff below the tower...

30804974801_89ce566974_z.jpg

This is in fact a 187 step Staircase called The King of Aragon Steps (Escalier du Roi d’Aragon) …

30592022170_112458ef75_z.jpg

...and apart from leading to a fresh water grotto it also has a bit of history...

30804975681_d6968e60d5_z.jpg

What made my decent and ascent worthwhile was managing to get a picture of Seabourn Sojourn framed by the walls of the grotto...

30777092812_a9c3a3e68e_z.jpg

My husband and I loved Bonifacio.........especially their village cemetery, which sounds macabre. But it was fascinating.

I had heard about Aragon Steps but we missed it. We will look for it next time we visit, so thanks for the photos and commentary.

Julie

My husband and I loved Bonifacio.........especially their village cemetery, which sounds macabre. But it was fascinating.

I had heard about Aragon Steps but we missed it. We will look for it next time we visit, so thanks for the photos and commentary.

Julie

Good afternoon Julie.

Yes, that was an amazing cemetery with the family tombs...

31055242206_6b65406feb_z.jpg

But the plot that interested me, being ex-military, was the one dedicated to the USAF victims of the 57th Bomb Wing B25 which crashed in 1944...

30777099762_04d9dea851_z.jpg

31091226675_6d43dbe01f_z.jpg

Spot the female name as well?

Hi Richard,

It's really nice to see your postcards (and read your blog).

We were on the same cruise and loved it, so it makes nice "souvenirs".

We were also neighbours as we booked a guarantee suite and were allocated suite number 530;). It was perfect.

We managed to dine two times in Restaurant2.

One on first day without reservation, just coming at 7.30 PM and ask for a table and another day with a booking made on day one as I've also followed the advice of the Seabournites;) of these boards.

It was a treat and we made good use of the referral coupon by choosing a bottle of Perrier-Jouet "à la carte".

We are hooked, so we're looking for booking another cruise on the Odyssey this summer.

PS : sorry if there is some mistakes but I'm french and my English is not always top notch

Dear Solent Richard,

Thank you so much for posting the photos and the Blog. They are Great!

We will be on Sojourn in january and your posts makes us scratching our hoofs. Cannot wait to board our first trip on one of the bigger sisters.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Richard,

It's really nice to see your postcards (and read your blog).

We were on the same cruise and loved it, so it makes nice "souvenirs".

We were also neighbours as we booked a guarantee suite and were allocated suite number 530;). It was perfect.

We managed to dine two times in Restaurant2.

One on first day without reservation, just coming at 7.30 PM and ask for a table and another day with a booking made on day one as I've also followed the advice of the Seabournites;) of these boards.

It was a treat and we made good use of the referral coupon by choosing a bottle of Perrier-Jouet "à la carte".

We are hooked, so we're looking for booking another cruise on the Odyssey this summer.

PS : sorry if there is some mistakes but I'm french and my English is not always top notch

Hi Gil3.

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I just wish my French was as good as your English.