Assistance with Avalon isssue

mringenoldus

Although I have paid in full, Avalon is refusing to ticket the included airfare promo until some unknown date in the future. This prevents me from upgrading any portion of our flights.

I started my request with the customer service agent who had no further information on the management directive regarding the airfare promo. I asked to speak to the supervisor on duty but he would not speak with me. I then contacted the regional service person who had no other information and could not assist. She provided an email address for someone in administration who has not replied.

I am beginning to feel I made a mistake in choosing Avalon. Has anyone had success in contacting staff for issue resolution? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks, Maureen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was advertised as "free air" which required the July 29 reservation to be paid in full by November 8.

I have a Delta reservation number with the flight itinerary but it hasn't been ticketed by Avalon as yet. They simply state that they have been directed by management not to ticket the free airfare bookings.

They simply state that they have been directed by management not to ticket the free airfare bookings.

Ordinarily, once you've paid in full, most cruise lines will be happy to ticket your reservation, but generally full payment isn't required until much closer to the departure date.

Unfortunately when you take advantage of one of these 'free' deals things can be different.

You had to pay early to get the offer, but they don't want to ticket the reservation yet as they have probably not finalized the bulk deal with the airlines.

You don't really have any leverage in this situation but I'd say you should still ask exactly when they do intend to ticket the reservations, but don't be surprised if it is still a few months away...

Thank you, Mark_T. You make very valid points. As the TA/passenger, I must admit to being very disappointed in the manner of customer service response as an issue separate from ticketing problem. I am going to remain optimistic that things will improve.

Edited by mringenoldus

Hi Maureen -

Glad to see you on the boards again! Wishing you and Garrit a great river cruise! Which itinerary are you going on? Looks like you have done some amazing cruises recently!

Theresa

Edited by Coral

Hi,Theresa!!

It's so great to hear from you! We are currently on the Independence of the Seas and will board Carnival Vista for my travel agency's annual conference the same day we disembark this cruise. I will also be playing nanny to my friend's little disabled son on the Allure in March. Are you still primarily sailing Princess? Re you fortunate enough to still cruise with your mom?

I wish we would travel together again soon!

Maureen

Hi,Theresa!!

It's so great to hear from you! We are currently on the Independence of the Seas and will board Carnival Vista for my travel agency's annual conference the same day we disembark this cruise. I will also be playing nanny to my friend's little disabled son on the Allure in March. Are you still primarily sailing Princess? Re you fortunate enough to still cruise with your mom?

I wish we would travel together again soon!

Maureen

Maureen - I am getting ready to go to San Diego tomorrow at an ungodly hour. Alarm is set for 3:30. I still have your email address and will email you when I get back. Does your hotmail account still work? Looks like your retirement has turned into a new "fun job"!

Enjoy Independence and Vista - how fun! Yes - we do need to cruise again in the future!

Theresa

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...
Although I have paid in full, Avalon is refusing to ticket the included airfare promo until some unknown date in the future. This prevents me from upgrading any portion of our flights.

I started my request with the customer service agent who had no further information on the management directive regarding the airfare promo. I asked to speak to the supervisor on duty but he would not speak with me. I then contacted the regional service person who had no other information and could not assist. She provided an email address for someone in administration who has not replied.

I am beginning to feel I made a mistake in choosing Avalon. Has anyone had success in contacting staff for issue resolution? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks, Maureen

That's odd..I booked using the same promo and also was anxious to upgrade seating through the airline. I was told as soon as I paid in full they would issue the tickets, and after paying in full in early October they did indeed ticket the next day allowing me to upgrade with air Canada. I wonder if they have changed policies since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's odd..I booked using the same promo and also was anxious to upgrade seating through the airline. I was told as soon as I paid in full they would issue the tickets, and after paying in full in early October they did indeed ticket the next day allowing me to upgrade with air Canada. I wonder if they have changed policies since then.

It may be worth the two of you comparing departure dates just in case that is a factor...

I was told that they implemented the practice of not ticketing the day before I made final payment.

It appears I have taken the issue almost to the top of the line and am still being turned down. Our sailing is July 29.

Wow that is annoying that they would just change like that. I wonder why? Did they tell at what point they will issue the tickets?

My departure is May 7th.

First and foremost, we are really grateful to those who have taken advantage of and enjoyed our special promotion. THANK YOU! Unfortunately, sometimes, creating really amazing air deals comes with restrictions and conditions on ticketing.

We saw this post this morning and have gotten in touch with the OP, first-hand, to resolve the issue.

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and very happy travels in the New Year!

Edited by Avalon Waterways

I would like to commend Scott, the customer service administrator, who contacted me earlier today. I only regret that I was not able to post my positive regard for the gracious manner in which he resolved my concern more expeditiously. His exemplary service has reversed my decision to cancel my river trip and makes me believe that Avalon will live up to its reputation. Thank you [emoji4]

• 1 month later...

I am having this same issue. I have an Avalon cruise booked for June, and I paid it in full several months ago. However, Avalon refuses to purchase the tickets, and Austrian Air will not allow me to make seat assignments (which I have to pay extra for) until Avalon pays for the tickets.

I am frustrated as well, because we potentially will not be able to get seats together on an overnight very long flight. Also, as my husband is 6'3" tall, we need to make sure we get seats together and maybe even pay for extra legroom seats.

My travel agent has contact Avalon as well with no resolution. Avalon would not say when they would purchase the tickets.

So frustrated that I have paid in full, yet have no tickets and no recourse.

I am very sorry you're still struggling with this (my DH is 6'7" so I totally understand the problem). I also understand the frustration in not being able to finalize plans.

Even though we are now ticketed, I still haven't been able to upgrade. I have just been passed back and forth between Avalon and Delta because no one has been able to determine what has been paid to Delta to be able to determine what the additional cost would be.

I am having this same issue. I have an Avalon cruise booked for June, and I paid it in full several months ago. However, Avalon refuses to purchase the tickets, and Austrian Air will not allow me to make seat assignments (which I have to pay extra for) until Avalon pays for the tickets.

I am frustrated as well, because we potentially will not be able to get seats together on an overnight very long flight. Also, as my husband is 6'3" tall, we need to make sure we get seats together and maybe even pay for extra legroom seats.

My travel agent has contact Avalon as well with no resolution. Avalon would not say when they would purchase the tickets.

So frustrated that I have paid in full, yet have no tickets and no recourse.

Are you booked on Air Canada? I am, and although I've been ticketed, I am not able to reserve seats on the one leg of my trip that is on Austrian Air (Toronto to Vienna). I have confirmed with Air Canada, Austrian, and even by enlisting help of experts on the Flyer Talk forum. Austrian Air does not permit advanced seat reservations or upgrades on code shares. The only opportunity to upgrade is during check in. I was able to purchase the extra legroom seats on the Air Canada legs of my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having the same issue. Scheduled departure from Denver May2nd. Booked thru AA codeshare British Airways. AA says my tickets are pending. Paid in full in November. Called BA and wished to select seats and would pay additional for this. Was told tickets not issued. Avalon responded and said I could request certain seats but not specific location on airplane. Don't want to wait till day before to select seats. My family has booked three cabins and would like to sit with each other. I am hoping that my tickets get issued. Maybe they will contact me with good news. I did ask when do they issue tickets for flights but have not received a response.

Just an update to my previous post. Received an email from Avalon and told they could not issue my airline tickets. Seeing that it was free airfare (Nothing is Free) they could do nothing. Told this was an executive decision. Possibly they would issue our tickets 35 days prior to trip. Paid in Full in November. Maybe they should wait until 35 days prior to charge my credit card and get full payment for our trip. Folks want to select their seats beforehand for comfort and health reasons. Hope this is not how we will be treated on a very expensive vacation. My family has booked four cabins and we can't select seats! Not happy with this answer.

Avalon had better be careful with this as it could turn into a PR nightmare. They offered alot of cruises with free airfare. (as you said, nothing is free) If they were not prepared to book the tickets then why did we have to pay more than a year in advance? Avalon has had a good reputation for customer service and I am surprised that they are so willing to see it badly tarnished. There are plenty of other cruiselines to choose from. Maybe we will choose one of those next time.

I was ticketed with the assistance of Avalon management, however, I was still unable to move to Business Class. It would have been necessary to cancel the free air to move to another class of seats. Only $250 would be applied to business class and the new amount was many thousands of dollars more. I have conceded defeat and just paid the more reasonable additional amount for comfort economy.