Vantage Irrawaddy and Mekong quick review

TravelerThom

All in all a good trip despite some misleading marketing by Vantage Adventures (see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2421711). We used Vantage air but arrived two days early in Bangkok on our own (in order to rest up) for the “Grand Journey through Southeast Asia; Cruising the Mekong and Irrawaddy Rivers”. I was contacted by email before the trip by Adventure Leaders on both portions of the trip. They confirmed that my self transfer after early arrival was as I thought - straight forward and inexpensive by taxi.

I managed to miss the free trip to SE Asia in the late 1960s, so now I have been there. Saigon (MCMC) seems to have more construction than any place with the possible exception of Shanghai. Saigon has McDonald’s etc everywhere; Vietnam Airways flies Boeing 787s (as well as Airbuses); 7 million motorbikes that actually try not to hit you as they flow everywhere (including the sidewalk); and most amazingly people who seem to have no animosity for the “American War”.

Our itinerary was Bangkok - Mandalay – Yangon – Bangkok – Hanoi – Siem Reip – Saigon (I think the order is changing in 2017). Hotels were nice and had very good Western and local food (I’d rate the Pan Pacific in Hanoi as 4*, the rest as 5*). Thanks to the Tour Directors, check-in was a breeze and several times our luggage was already in the room when we arrived.

Food and service on the boats was EXCELLENT. Boat rooms were good size and included a complimentary mini-bar.

The Irrawaddy Explorer was built in 2014, but already showing its age. We and others had condensation drips in our room despite paying strict attention to not leaving our balcony open, and the molding in our shower was separating. I easily handled these issues as a trade off for friendly service, 24 hour included beer in the lounge (okay, probably nobody there at 4am), and outstanding staff.

The Mekong Navigator was an immaculate ship with an outstanding staff. I am glad this boat was second on our itinerary or I would have been disappointed in the Irrawaddy Explorer. It took most of us a day or so to fully appreciate that free local spirits were actually rather good; vodka, gin, whiskey (didn’t try the last) produced in Vietnam by a French-Vietnamese company were included at no additional charge 24/7. After some cautious tries of spirits on the rocks to see how bad was it, the consensus was actually pretty good. The most expensive cocktail on the menu was Bloody Mary at US$9 with imported vodka or no cost with local. I doubt that anyone could tell any difference after adding tomato juice, Worcestershire etc other than US$9. Note that on both boats wine was included ONLY at dinner; it was a charged item at all other times (possible tha one glass of wine was included at some off boat included luches).

Footwear: I took my standard pair of waterproof hiking boots. In retrospect that was overkill. The majority of excursion included one or more visits to temples that required removal of footwear. On most excursions (and it should have been all) I used waterproof hiking sandals such as sold by Keen or Teva (I prefer closed toe sandals as they provide better protection, but open toed would have worked, just not as well IMO). As a light weight traveler, a good pair of sandals and a good pair of walking shoes (I took Rockports) fulfilled all my needs and were at least acceptable to the fashion police (both on-board and ashore).

Vantage screwed up big time on tips for Adventure Leaders for those of us on the combined trips. Our Final Docs (which I have rechecked multiple times after the issue arose) list City Host and Local Regional Expert but did NOT list suggested gratuities for Adventure Leaders. They are private contractors and highly dependent on (what should have been) suggested gratuities of $8-$12 per day per person. Based on the information Vantage provided some tipped at the significantly lower rate for Local Regional Experts, despite excellent service. IMO Vantage should provide additional compensation to these Adventures Leaders since Vantage dropped the ball on suggested gratuities. I'm not holding my breath:rolleyes:

If you have questions, I'll try to answer.

Thom

We had a great time on our Mekong trip ( second part of the above trip)as well. Earlier reviews cover most of our thoughts. I would rate the Pan Pacific a 3....especially after they rescinded the agreed to late checkout for 14 couples who had 7pm flights. We thought perhaps they lost the "Sofitel" franchise because of slipping service, cleanliness etc. But we loved the Sofitel in Siem Reap,an oasis! My husband even played golf!

Our documents did include the adventure guide's suggested gratuity "•Vantage Adventure Leader: USD $8.00 - $12.00 per person per day" We did find it tiresome that we told multiple times...we have taken care of guide, driver, tuk tuk, sanpan etc but they will appreciate an additional $$$. Does Vantage not give them enough? are tips included or not?

Hai our adventure leader worked hard ( not so much while we were on the ship) and was a delight to spend time with. We were a group of about 66 that was divided into 2 groups and each had their own leader except on the ship when we were in 3 groups which was really a much better number.

We loved the ship. Great staff and service.

Vantage had some misses but we for the most part were extremely happy with the adventure. Most of the local guides were exceptional in their knowledge and in their abilities to share his country's culture and history. In our opinion pre/post trip were over-priced for what we received. Halong Bay was beautiful but way too rushed 2 nights on the bay would have been delightful.

deec: Glad you enjoyed. I concur with your comments. We saw your 3 buses passing in the opposite direction as we were traveling from Siem Reap to the Mekong.

People with us who did just the Mekong (not the combo with the Irrawaddy) got the correct tip info for the Adventure Guides; those of us (at least everyone I talked to) on the combo trip did NOT get the appropriate suggestions.

Thom

Were you in Phnon Penh during the water festival. If so, I imagine it was exciting but the traffic must have been horrendous. Even in much smaller Siem Reap roads were clogged .... one night we even chose to stay at the hotel for a relaxing dinner rather enduring a bus trip to the included dinner.

All the dragon boats were great fun to see while we were still on the ship at the end of the cruise.

Were you in Phnon Penh during the water festival...
We arrived near Phnom Phen the last night of the water festival. As we had been told earlier we were not allowed into Tonle Sap River to dock, and watched the rather distant fireworks while anchored in the Mekong north of Tonle Sap. We saw quite a number of long boats when we docked the next morning. Some were being paddled home by their crew, some were being brought ashore, etc. Many of the floats (which had been lit at night) were being pulled up the Tonle Sap. On our visit to the Royal Palace the winning boat team was having their group photo made. The Cambodians do really celebrate during their festivals.

Our Cambodian local guide said he started first grade at age 11-12. When he was 6-7 (he didn't know his birthday) the Khmer Rouge gave him a choice to shoot people or be shot. He was the only survivor in his family. Remarkably after schooling and a year plus in a monastery he was sane, married and had two kids. Buddhists believe that carrying a grudge hurts only you - apparently he took that to heart. Sometimes I think I have problems, but nothing to begin to approach that.

Thom