Just got our documents today! Getting ready for the Christmas Markets!!

bubbulz

If I sound excited, it's because I am. :D We started planning this trip right after returning from our first Uniworld cruise last year (Amsterdam - Basel). Hard to believe it's finally just a few weeks away. We're flying into Budapest after Thanksgiving and spending a few days in Budapest (splurged with miles to stay at the Four Seasons), and then we're taking the Railjet to Vienna for one night in a hotel (courtesy of our TA) before boarding Uniworld's Maria Theresa for the week. When we disembark in Nuremberg we're picking up a rental car and heading to Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, and the surrounding area for several days before heading back to Munich, and then flying back to Budapest for one last night before heading back to the States. (Flying to/from Budapest saved us about half when we booked last year, and I've always wanted to visit so it was a good reason to jump on it. What was odd was that it was the same Austrian Airlines flights we would have taken to Vienna. Sometimes airline pricing just doesn't make sense. :confused: )

Planning for this trip has been an experience in itself since my DH owned basically NO winter clothes. I, at least, had a winter coat with a hood. ;) But we've been busy shopping for footwear other than flip flops, and have stocked up on gloves and scarves. If all else fails, we know it will be warm and cozy on the boat, but we're hoping to be able to at least brave some of the chilly weather although we're no longer used to it. We're very much looking forward to our little taste of winter.

Oh, have fun! Your plans sound fantastic.

We loved the Four Seasons in Budapest; wonderful location and easy to get to/from the airport using public transport. You'll have a great time in Budapest. And your post-cruise plans sound fun too!

Hope to hear about the SS Maria Theresa. So far, the only Uniworld Super Ship that we haven't cruised on...but they keep building them, so we'll be falling behind next year!

Oh you shall enjoy the Four Seasons. We stayed there after our cruise with Scenic last year for three days and had a fabulous time. If you have time get the Concierge to make you a dinner reservation at the Fisherman's Bastion. Is like having a Fairyland at your feet as the lights of the city start to shimmer and glow. If you get a chance say hello to Mr. Yves Giacometti the General Manager of the hotel and Karolina Szabo Concierge Manager. They both do an excellent job. We had a suite on the top floor overlooking the Chain Bridge.

If you want a libation talk a little walk and go over to the Jewish community and go to Szimpla Kert. Rated as one of the Worlds Best Bars.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

bubbulz, if you can't find heavy coats (or don't want to take them), layer. You can start off with light sweaters under heavier ones. A warm jacket over top should keep you warm enough. As for boots, look for insoles you can slip in your shoes, they can give you an extra layer off of the pavement and will help keep feet warm.

I would love to do the Christmas market cruise, but can't convince my husband that the European winter would be nothing like ours. One of these days....:)

Definitely pack several layers. Silk long sleeve tops and pants (LL Bean makes great ones) are lightweight enough to wear under shirts and pants without adding bulk and keep you toasty warm! Smartwool socks will keep your feet warm and they don't itch. There are some great lightweight down jackets that fold up into a pocket, yet are very warm. I got one from Lands End last year and love it; it weighs very little yet kept me warm even on the coldest days here in western NY!

Oh, have fun! Your plans sound fantastic.

We loved the Four Seasons in Budapest; wonderful location and easy to get to/from the airport using public transport. You'll have a great time in Budapest. And your post-cruise plans sound fun too!

Hope to hear about the SS Maria Theresa. So far, the only Uniworld Super Ship that we haven't cruised on...but they keep building them, so we'll be falling behind next year!

Thanks so much! I read all of your info about Budapest while planning for our trip. It was a goldmine for us! We're really looking forward to the Four Seasons - they even have their own small Christmas Market at the hotel. And I know what you mean about the Super Ships! Fantastic! (And this time we even splurged and booked a suite. :D )

Oh you shall enjoy the Four Seasons. We stayed there after our cruise with Scenic last year for three days and had a fabulous time. If you have time get the Concierge to make you a dinner reservation at the Fisherman's Bastion. Is like having a Fairyland at your feet as the lights of the city start to shimmer and glow. If you get a chance say hello to Mr. Yves Giacometti the General Manager of the hotel and Karolina Szabo Concierge Manager. They both do an excellent job. We had a suite on the top floor overlooking the Chain Bridge.

If you want a libation talk a little walk and go over to the Jewish community and go to Szimpla Kert. Rated as one of the Worlds Best Bars.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips! Dinner at Fisherman's Bastion sounds great! And we've also booked dinner on the river for the first night. Looking forward to it!

bubbulz, if you can't find heavy coats (or don't want to take them), layer. You can start off with light sweaters under heavier ones. A warm jacket over top should keep you warm enough. As for boots, look for insoles you can slip in your shoes, they can give you an extra layer off of the pavement and will help keep feet warm.

I would love to do the Christmas market cruise, but can't convince my husband that the European winter would be nothing like ours. One of these days....:)

Good ideas, and I'll definitely look for insoles! They're probably keep me comfier for walking as well.

It's still in the upper 70s here so it's not even jacket weather. It will be quite a change for us!

Definitely pack several layers. Silk long sleeve tops and pants (LL Bean makes great ones) are lightweight enough to wear under shirts and pants without adding bulk and keep you toasty warm! Smartwool socks will keep your feet warm and they don't itch. There are some great lightweight down jackets that fold up into a pocket, yet are very warm. I got one from Lands End last year and love it; it weighs very little yet kept me warm even on the coldest days here in western NY!

Thanks!! Off to look for silk pullovers and the socks you suggested!

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in one more time before heading out to the airport. Somehow I managed to pack even lighter this time around than I did for our September cruise last year. Not sure how I did that with all the heavy clothing and boots!

Hope everyone else on Christmas Markets cruises this year has a great trip. We certainly are planning to! :D

The Four Seasons is just as special as we expected and even has its own small Christmas Market. Our flight from Vienna to Budapest was canceled due to mechanical issues so we were a bussed the last leg of the trip. We still arrived before 2 PM (albeit without our bags, which arrived last night) and walked all over and hit some markets and went on a candlelit dinner cruise that was wonderful. Today we are doing a Christmas Markets food and wine tour with Taste Hungary. Yum!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We walked all over, and absolutely loved Budapest. I'm happy we have one additional day there at the end of our trip. Right now we are in Vienna, aboard the SS Maria Teresa. What a beautiful ship! We have already been in the pool. [emoji4] We enjoyed Vienna's markets yesterday and are looking forward to more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums