Louisiane

Calliope

Just got notification that the trip that I had booked on the LOUISIANA during December has been cancelled due to mechanical problems. Apparently, she has been laid up to repair deck flooding that happened several weeks ago during her second revenue trip. The company is offering a one category upgrade along with a 100.00 USD OBC if I rebook next yesr along with up to 200.00 USD to pay for air changes. IF I want a refund it does appear that airfare costs will alao be refunded. Needless to say, I'm not too happy about the boat's difficulties and that my trip has been cancelled

I spoke yesterday to Rachelle one of FAL's reservationist. I must say she was very kind, but not really of much help. When asked when I would be receiving my cruise and air fare refund she could not tell me. I asked for someone in upper management to call me. As FAL still has a large amount of my money and not a good record thus far of providing what is promised, I think that I am at least owed a call. She didn't think that I would get a call back, "As they are extremely busy," but she assured me she would pass along my request. And over 24 hours later I am indeed still waiting.

As I could not express my frustration with someone in authority with FAL, I feel as if I can share my experiences with them and now others via this site. From the day last Spring that I made my booking through a travel agent things have not felt right. An initial deposit could not be taken to secure the room. The room would be reserved until their new computer system had some software glitches worked out in a few weeks and then the deposit would be accepted. Strange that the company was not adept enough to take deposits at that time and earn interest on those deposits. Months later my deposit was finally accepted.

Then the one glaring issue that still makes me furious is their "Integrity Pricing Promise," which clearly states, "Our fares remain the same from the moment they are created until the moment the vessel sails." Before final payment was due for my vacation the company offered, "for new bookings only," a free one category upgrade, which would amount to $1600.00 for my booking, free gratuities, and a $100.00 on board credits. So much for "Integrity Pricing"! The only perk offered to me when booking was free gratuities. My travel agent did procure the $1600.00 savings for my room, but my agent said it was not given willingly. I would have cancelled if it was not given and sought an attorney's advice if the $600.00 cancellation fee was not waived under these circumstances.

The maiden voyage during October has received such horrendous reviews. The Coast Guard pulling her Certificate of Inspection due to an inoperable elevator, no hot water for the entire voyage, poorly trained hotel staff, and rooms that were unfinished and dirty. All of this on the first voyage that has been postponed since late August!

I have no confidence in this company. Now, the straw which broke the proverbial camel's back is receiving the e-mail forwarded by my travel agent that the luxury cruise which I expected during December has been cancelled. Despite the company holding nearly $10,000.00 dollars of mine, plus the airfare involved, no compensation is offered other than a return of the cruise and airfares. If I would chance it and book for next year a one category upgrade would be given and a $100.00 on board credit. This certainly isn't enough enticement for me to want to rebook for next year. In my opinion it is simply too great of an amount of money to let remain in the hands of a company that has not delivered anything of what has been promised. A personal letter from one of those that I asked to return my call would be helpful along with a future cruise voucher with an apology for FAL not living up to the promises made.

Honestly, I hope for their best and that they can soon deliver the sort of quality cruise that they advertise. At such high per diems FAL is fishing from a smaller pool than most other cruise lines. I don't feel as if those in charge fully grasp that fact and are acting accordingly. I do want to see the American Flag passenger shipping prosper, but from the first contact of the cruise line till one leaves the boat FAL has failed.

Today I called FAL and left a message for the accounting office on M. B.'s voice mail. It has been over a week since I received the e-mail forwarded by my travel agent that my trip has been cancelled. I have not had any communications from any one at FAL as to the status of my refund, and I have checked with my credit card company to check if it had been posted. Unfortunately it hasn't. I called FAL hoping to shed some light as to when I can expect the full amount and air refund to be credited to my credit card. I certainly hope it comes sooner than later.

FAL is based in Gretna LA (across the river from New Orleans by ferry)...suggest you contact both the Jefferson Parish District Attorney Consumer Affairs Department & the BBB of New Orleans and send an email to the New Orleans Time-P newspaper travel editor...the owners of FLA received huge tax dollars incentives so I would bet they would want to make you whole quickly as opposed to the negative PR

you did have Travel Insurance I trust and since you paid by credit card did you file a claim with them to open a case...I love AX just for that reason

FAL is based in Gretna LA (across the river from New Orleans by ferry)...suggest you contact both the Jefferson Parish District Attorney Consumer Affairs Department & the BBB of New Orleans and send an email to the New Orleans Time-P newspaper travel editor...the owners of FLA received huge tax dollars incentives so I would bet they would want to make you whole quickly as opposed to the negative PR...

That's the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which you can find at:

http://www.nola.com/t-p/

:o thanks I was not sure how to spell Picayune:o and auto spell check did not work as it sometimes does with unique Louisiana words

with the pending entrance of Viking River Cruises looming & the 300th Anniversary of the founding of New Orleans FAL better get it's act together quickly if it want to be a player...because it has a few local investors among outside major investors there are many locals rooting for FAL to succeed..the question becomes how does FAL stand out from their competitors on the Mississippi

Smooth Jazz Superstar Trumpet Player Rick Braun has figured out how to make the numbers work do a full charter River Jazz Cruise in Europe (out of Germany) in 2018 which opens the possibility to do the same thing in the USA

We went on a River Cruise in 2009 on Peter Deilman (sp?) (now out of business) in the South of France and loved it...long time cruisers are looking for alternatives to the megaship Caribbean insanity and the added air fare expense of flying to Europe

FAL is based in Gretna LA (across the river from New Orleans by ferry)...suggest you contact both the Jefferson Parish District Attorney Consumer Affairs Department & the BBB of New Orleans and send an email to the New Orleans Time-P newspaper travel editor...the owners of FLA received huge tax dollars incentives so I would bet they would want to make you whole quickly as opposed to the negative PR

you did have Travel Insurance I trust and since you paid by credit card did you file a claim with them to open a case...I love AX just for that reason

All good advice. Needless to say I haven't heard anything from FAL. My trip was supposed to leave on this coming Tuesday. If my credit card account has not been credited by then I will step this up a notch. I'll keep you informed!

as in tomorrow:eek: hopefully it will be resolved by then...you may want to contact Lee Zurik at FOX 8 News who is an award winning Investigative Reporter....I checked to see if there were any local stories on FAL's current situation and could not find any..if I do, I will let you know...you have much more patience that I would have had

as in tomorrow:eek: hopefully it will be resolved by then...you may want to contact Lee Zurik at FOX 8 News who is an award winning Investigative Reporter....I checked to see if there were any local stories on FAL's current situation and could not find any..if I do, I will let you know...you have much more patience that I would have had

Please do! And, yes, my patience is wearing exceedingly thin.

I am going to check with the Federal Maritime Commission in D.C. on Tuesday and check how long by statute that FAL has until it must pay out any unearned funds from the bond/escrow account that FAL must by law maintain of all passengers' cruise deposits. This only covers the cost of the cruise and not the air, which FAL said they would reimburse those that bought air.

I have now filed written complaints with the Federal Maritime Commission and the Louisiana Attorney General's consumer complaint department. The Jefferson Parish District Attorney's representative suggested that even though the credit card payments were made months ago and paid in full I should file a complaint with the credit card company.

I have now filed written complaints with the Federal Maritime Commission and the Louisiana Attorney General's consumer complaint department. The Jefferson Parish District Attorney's representative suggested that even though the credit card payments were made months ago and paid in full I should file a complaint with the credit card company.

ABSOLUTELY contact the credit card company! A similar event occurred a few years ago with a Great Lakes Cruise that kept being postponed due to an accident the ship had on one of it's first outings. Because the ship was unseaworthy cruises were canceled and the owner couldn't pay his bills resulting in the ship being repossessed and the company finally being declared bankrupt. Good luck Calliope....I sincerely hope you get most, if not all, of your money back. It's really terrible when stuff like this happens. :(

Edited by Hydrokitty

Today I did receive a phone call from an employee of The Federal Maritime Commission whom said that the FMC is taking an interest in this matter. She verified that the escrow agent for FAL is making disbursements from the escrow account and only able to disburse the escrowed funds as FAL gets the list of passengers to them. As far as the air fare, FAL will have to have their own funds to keep their promise good of a full refund of the air.

As of yet I have not had any response from the Louisiana Attorney General's consumer complaints department. I haven't checked my credit card to see if there is now a credit issued while they make a determination as to my complaint to the credit card company.

Today I did receive a phone call from an employee of The Federal Maritime Commission whom said that the FMC is taking an interest in this matter. She verified that the escrow agent for FAL is making disbursements from the escrow account and only able to disburse the escrowed funds as FAL gets the list of passengers to them. As far as the air fare, FAL will have to have their own funds to keep their promise good of a full refund of the air.

As of yet I have not had any response from the Louisiana Attorney General's consumer complaints department. I haven't checked my credit card to see if there is now a credit issued while they make a determination as to my complaint to the credit card company.

Sounds like you've got everything under control.....as much as you can, anyway....stay on top of your credit card company....don't let anyone else represent you with your credit card company....no matter who they are, they do not represent YOU!!!

Chris Kyte was one of the original founders of American Queen Steamboat Co. along with Jeff Krida, and Tim Rubacky. All left that company at around the same time to return to previous positions or new ventures. Kyte still maintains his position at Uncommon Journeys.

My travel agent called today and said that she received both a call and an e-mail from FAL stating that the checks for the cruise portion of what is owed has been cut by the bank which holds the cruise deposits in escrow. In my instance the check will go directly to the credit card company. As far as repayment for the cost of the air, that remains a mystery. I can promise one thing and that is I will file to be made whole in small claims court if necessary. I'll keep you informed of any further developments.