Looking for Suggestions

beanpittsburgh

We and our friends have booked a Viking Douro River Cruise for next October. We were in the process of making our final payments when we found out that we are now booked on 2 different cruises and ships. Whose fault this is no one knows. We booked the trip in January 2016 to take advantage of the low airfare and I guess we didn't compare our trip itinerary's good enough then. Of course, the cruise is most likely sold out. We are waiting to hear back from Viking but I am not feeling too optimistic. Anyone have an experience like this? Would they put our friends on a waiting list in case someone cancels? Any suggestions?

Update on our dilemma. Viking booked our friends on the wrong cruise. I guess we could have found this out back in January if we had compared invoices but we only have seen them once since then. Viking (after a week of no call backs from the responsible agent and hours placed on hold) gave them 3 options 1) book the only available suite for several $1000's more, 2) cancel, or 3) go on the other cruise. There is no waiting list for River cruises, only Ocean cruises. Our friends would have to check the web site daily to see if a room becomes available but then all the discounts (airfare, etc) would not be available. We are extremely ticked off as well and would cancel ourselves but we have a third couple involved who have already paid in full.

We along with 2 other couples booked a Douro River cruise for October of 2017 back in January of 2016. Inexpensive airfare was the reason for booking early along with the fact that we were able to get the lower priced rooms since we were among the first to sign up. The same Rep handled all of our reservations. Our final payments are due now. When one of the couples went to pay up they noticed that the pre-trip extension was not included so they called us to see if we had the same problem and we did. We got that problem solved no problem. When we checked with the second couple, we found out Viking had booked them on another cruise starting a day earlier than us 4. They called Viking Monday but the representative that handled us originally was not in. Viking assured our friends to expect a call this week from the original Rep with info. After several phone calls from our friends and hours on hold (still no call back from Rep) our friends were finally told by a different Rep that only the most expensive suite was available for $5000 more. Our friends were told to either pay the $5000 more or cancel and hope someone else cancels on our cruise. There is no waiting list for River cruises so they would have to check the Viking website daily to see if something becomes available. Of course if a room becomes open, the discounts for early booking no longer apply and they would still end up paying a much greater price.

We would cancel our trip if the second couple had not already paid in full. Extremely disappointed with Viking for the hours wasted on the phone and no admission of a screw up on their part. This is going to be our 3rd cruise with Viking and everything was wonderful on the first 2. I can assure you this will be our last cruise with them.

I get that Viking made the initial mistake, but in fairness, I don't know what they can do if there is no cabin available. They cannot create an available cabin out of the ether, nor is it fair to bump a third party out of the cabin when the the 3rd party has done no wrong.

Since the error was made 10 months ago, it may have been "fixable" if discovered earlier.

I get that we share some of the responsibility. I guess our biggest mistake was assuming the Viking Rep who did all of our reservations would put us on the same ship. There is a cabin available for an additional $5000 which our friends can't afford to pay.

Edited by beanpittsburgh

I have done three Viking river cruises. Only one time did I deal with Viking directly. I found this rep to be poorly prepared to handle my booking. But after I questioned all the charges, I was happy. I questioned why she insisted on adding insurance when I declined. I questioned the $100 charge for a "air deviation". I questioned the charge for making sure the other couple traveling with us would be on the same plane. I declined to pay this last charge and the couple were on our plane.

I ended up waiting for that large on-line cruise agency to other "double cash back". Once they did I transfered my booking. And then they were responsible for making sure it was correct.

Anyway, everyone says- Viking this and Viking that, and never again!

Means nothing.

I really feel sorry for this mix-up, but the responsibility does lie with the travelers.

You all need to see that your cruise plans matched and that you were getting what you expected.

If we switch to other dates then we would have a cancellation fee plus we lose our early booking discounts(that is what Viking told our friends). We would probably have to wait for the 2018 cruises to become available. The remaining dates for 2017 don't have rooms available for all of us besides the plans for this trip were made 10 months ago. The two other couples have never met so they could not compare notes. The Viking Rep had the names for all us so that we could book the same trip. WE were among the first to book this trip 22 months in advance so that we could take advantage of low cost airfare and the lower cost rooms. One couple has a very modest income and the other is on a fixed income. In hindsight, we should not have trusted the Viking Rep to do her job correctly -- that is our mistake. I'll take 10% of the blame for not checking but the other 90% is on Viking.

If we switch to other dates then we would have a cancellation fee plus we lose our early booking discounts(that is what Viking told our friends). We would probably have to wait for the 2018 cruises to become available. The remaining dates for 2017 don't have rooms available for all of us besides the plans for this trip were made 10 months ago. The two other couples have never met so they could not compare notes. The Viking Rep had the names for all us so that we could book the same trip. WE were among the first to book this trip 22 months in advance so that we could take advantage of low cost airfare and the lower cost rooms. One couple has a very modest income and the other is on a fixed income. In hindsight, we should not have trusted the Viking Rep to do her job correctly -- that is our mistake. I'll take 10% of the blame for not checking but the other 90% is on Viking.

So just to be clear. Viking knows that a booking error was made. They do not have room on your cruise, but they do have room on the other cruise and they will not move you without penalty to a cruise that leaves one day earlier?

Did all three couples make their reservations ate the same time with the same agent, or did you call at three different times, but with the same agent?

I assume Viking is saying because the error was not caught when the reservations were made it is not their fault.

I would not agree with your allocation of fault. Their rep made an error, but if you made three separate phone calls I can see how an error could happen. I would tend to put most of the fault on your party for not validating that the reservations were correct. If the reservations were all made during one call then I would put the blame more on the agent, but you all still should have validated the day the reservations were made.

That said I would expect that Viking should be willing to correct the problem and move the 4 of you to the other cruise if space existed. Especially if you are before final payment date and the price structure was equivalent.

While I have cruised Viking and enjoyed the cruise, I tend to stay away form them because of their business practices. They are good when things go well, but very much of a pain when things do not.

Edited by RDC1

Cruises, especially river cruises, are best booked with a travel agent. You pay the same rates (or better), have access to service and advice, and sometimes get extra perks. I can reach my travel agent on her cell phone, even if she is on vacation, and it costs me not a penny more to book with her.

Dear beanpittsburgh,

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We’ve been following along with your recent posts and sincerely regret to hear about your predicament. While we always encourage our guests to carefully review their invoices to ensure the booking is created as requested, we do apologize for any initial oversight.

Regrettably, at this time, adjustments are contingent on availability. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can access your booking details, review the options presented and check for any additional resolutions.

beanpittsburgh, we sincerely value your loyalty to Viking Cruises and look forward to your email.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

It is completely within Vikings power to waive fees and keep in place the benefits all couples got by booking early. Their agent knew all 4 couples were booking together and failed to follow the booking directions of these parties.

An I surprised NO!

Please report back and let us know what Viking has to say about fixing this mess. I suspect they won't take responsibility but I hope I am wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sent Viking an email to their above response. I'll post here the resolution. We have always thought that the Viking product is great. Our two past trips were everything we could have asked for. We were very satisfied and thought we received great value for our money. It seems like the majority of the negative posts for Viking has always been its customer service and not the cruises themselves(water levels beyond their control). I am curious to see how they handle this issue.

Thanks to all for your comments. This is a great forum!

I have sent Viking an email to their above response. I'll post here the resolution. We have always thought that the Viking product is great. Our two past trips were everything we could have asked for. We were very satisfied and thought we received great value for our money. It seems like the majority of the negative posts for Viking has always been its customer service and not the cruises themselves(water levels beyond their control). I am curious to see how they handle this issue.

Thanks to all for your comments. This is a great forum!

At least there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

We spoke with Viking and they were most understanding and helpful. Viking was willing to do whatever it took to make things right. Sadly, our friends have decided to cancel their trip. They were left with a bad taste in their mouths from all the runaround they received in the past week. Viking gave them a full refund.

I know Viking gets a lot of bad publicity sometimes. It appears from our experience that Viking has 2 different ways to solve complaints. If you call personally, your complaints probably won't always be solved to your satisfaction. If you gripe on a public Forum, they hear you loud and clear and bend over backwards to make amends.

I just want to add personally that we were pleased with the quick response and help that Cory from Viking gave us. As I said before, we think Viking puts out a great product. On board ship, we have always been treated great. The Viking ships, crew, Cruise Directors, food, transfers, etc. have always met and exceeded our expectations. That is why we have always recommended them to our friends.

In closing I just want to say thanks to Cory and Viking for trying to help. I just wish it had happened sooner for our friends. We are still taking the trip ourselves with the 2nd couple. I hope to post a favorable trip report next October.

Thanks to all who responded. Lots of good advice on this forum.