16-Day Budapest to Amsterdam "Classic European River Cruise"

R'man

DW and I just finished a 16-day Budapest-to-Amsterdam river cruise aboard Gate1’s “Sound of Music” (SoM). We had a grand time despite the typical raw late-autumn European weather and early darkness.

Gate1 gets little attention here. It has a fleet of three new ships plying the Central European rivers. Our run was SoM’s final trip for Gate1, being removed from the fleet in favor of a newer vessel. From that standpoint, a review of the ship is meaningless. I will say that we essentially lacked nothing that the larger companies provided aboard theirs. (Okay, we had to supply our own umbrellas.) So, I will review our shipboard and travel experience.

Our flight to Budapest out of IAD through Brussels was fine. At Budapest airport there are taxi/van kiosks which provide rides to the wharfs. Regardless of your cruiseline, the wharfs are generally in the same place along the river, near the Elizabeth Bridge. The fare for two, including luggage, was about $20.

We boarded SoM in Budapest and check-in was flawless. Our luggage was taken to our Class E cabin on the middle deck. The cabin was bright, clean, and nicely appointed, featuring a picture window for our viewing pleasure. The bath larger than any we’d encountered in our ocean cruises. Closet and drawer space was more than adequate. The beds were apparently designed with space underneath to stow luggage. The cabin was well attended and kept spotless. Even got a nightly chocolate!

We spent our first two days in Budapest, allowing us to explore the city. The wharf is convenient to the main shopping street. Get a map and take a hike. There is also a nearby grocery for whatever else you’d like to take along. The second day was a substantial bus city tour, with time at the Heroes Square and Fisherman’s Bastion. After dinner we cast off past the beautiful castles and Parliament building headed up the Danube.

For us the ship routine was quickly set: Exercise class, breakfast, our ship destination tour, lunch, a return to town or setting off to the next stop (depending on schedule). A nightly port briefing was followed by dinner. Then entertainment or activities in the lounge before retiring. Remember: There are no “sea days” river cruising. Every day is another unique destination calling for your attention.

Our ship carried 130 passengers, and much of the trip’s internal design was to ensure people met and mingled. By the end of two weeks, new friendships were inevitable. Passengers tended to be a bit younger (and more fit) than ocean cruises we've taken. We met a gamut of wonderful people that ran from business owners to Ph.Ds, oilmen, a rancher, and, of course, many retired from substantial careers.

The ship staff and crew were intimately involved in your cruise to ensure your good time. They were all very approachable and happy to help whenever wanted. The reception desk staff was friendly and available 24-hours. The hospitality desk, staffed by the tour directors, was a font of useful information about the area and things like grocery locations. The coffee machine was located in the lobby area, and it offered a chance to just chat with everyone. There was no hard-sell or abuse of the PA system. Only occasional "gentle reminders" of upcoming events and general activity announcements. The entire experience was convivial, geared towards the guests, creating a much different vibe from ocean cruising with thousands.

For ocean cruisers, there is one seating at dinner, and “late” arrival is not recommended. Dress is casual; even wearing shorts was acceptable. No suits or formal night tuxes. The number of food choices is generally restricted. One had the nightly choice of a meat dish, seafood, or vegetarian. The perpetual alternative was a grilled chicken breast. The food was fine, more carefully prepared than if the galley was feeding thousands. Beer and wine was included with the meal. Breakfast and lunch were buffet service. Breakfast eggs could be ordered, and there was a daily "special", such as waffles and strawberries. Lunch offerings were varied and tasty.

Tours at each location were well organized by the ship directors, with excellent local guides for the tours. The busses used were all clean, modern coaches with professional drivers. One great thing was the radio-amplifier used by the guides and guests. The guest receiver used an earbud to deliver the guide’s commentary at the volume you choose over the usual background noises, even to those with hearing issues. I particularly liked that I could hear the commentary while somewhat away from the group soaking in the sights or taking photos. There was significant walking, and often there was a less strenuous itinerary offered. This was all discussed the prior evening during the daily port briefing. There were also opportunities for the ambitious to climb steep paths to castle ruins and the like.

Our final stop was Amsterdam. The docks are near the Central train station, the city’s public transportation hub. The city itself easily walkable. Whatever, you cannot fail to enjoy Amsterdam. Trains run to Schiphol airport, fine if you’re willing to schlep your luggage a few hundred yards to the station. We booked a taxi for e40 door-to-door. That fare covered up to six passengers in a late-model Mercedes van…so do the math and figure in the convenience. We beat the cruiseline’s transfer bus by a wide margin, and avoided the wait for luggage and the rush to the check-in counter for a fraction of their cost.

I would highly recommend Gate1 as a river cruise line. Its fleet is new and newer, reasonably priced (especially when offering sale prices) and the equal of any other as a travel vehicle.

Thank you so much. We have booked with Gate 1 from Amsterdam to Budapest next October on the Monarch Baroness.

Just one question, I note that beer and wine are included with dinner.

What about soft drink or fruit juice?

We are a group of 10 and only 3 drink alcohol. It would be nice to know if those who aren't drinkers are also catered for.

Did they have the slow walkers, fast walkers and normal walkers groups?

We have 4 cabins on E deck and one couple booked later and are up on the next level. I had the equivalent cabin on APT 10 years ago and just loved watching the ducks paddling in the water beside the window.

oops realised i asked more than one question.

Edited by Tara Jane

Thank you so much. We have booked with Gate 1 from Amsterdam to Budapest next October on the Monarch Baroness. Just one question, I note that beer and wine are included with dinner. What about soft drink or fruit juice?

I don't know. I don't recall anyone ordering soft drinks at meal time. There is, of course, juice in the morning. I would expect that if asked at dinner, the waiters would bring juice gratis. Coffee and tea are free, of course. I don't imagine there would be an issue with soft drinks brought from your room. I saw folks with their own bottles of wine, and I never heard of any corkage charge assessed. They are more particular about the lounge area, which serves as the bar. So long as it's in a glass, no problems bringing it in. (There is no issue with bringing your own beverages on board, and I'm sure there is a grocery store near the wharf in AMS.)

Did they have the slow walkers, fast walkers and normal walkers groups?

Where walking could be a challenge, there were usually normal speed and more leisurely. Mostly, being along the rivers, the terrain was flat. As I mentioned, for those who are off to the races, there was usually time for them to take off and explore at their pace. I'm not sure what the rush would be, especially in urban settings with so much to see.

We have 4 cabins on E deck and one couple booked later and are up on the next level. I had the equivalent cabin on APT 10 years ago and just loved watching the ducks paddling in the water beside the window. oops realised i asked more than one question.

The windows opened and, yes, it was fun watching the ducks paddle by. We occasionally saved a crust from breakfast for them. The entire journey was very pleasant. Enjoy yourselves. No charge for the extra! :)

• 2 weeks later...
R'man, enjoyed your report. Do you recall what taxi service you used? Looking for one from Schipol when we arrive a few days before our cruise from Amsterdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, no name to recommend.

Thinking of doing this cruise next year. What was the weather like.

thanks

European weather is tough to predict. Generally, May and September are your best bets to avoid rain. Otherwise, be prepared for precipitation, and lots of gray skies. Temperatures are moderate most of the year. Dress in layers. We wore everything from a wool navy pea coat, a heavy sweatshirt, and such, down to a light shirt. And have a hat with you.

Two week river cruise $1500 off per person-- HELLO!

And there you have it. Yes, they do run some great specials. They occasionally advertise their discounted products via Travelzoo and Groupon.

I've also recently gotten "deal offers" from Viking and Avalon for 2017. It's obviously a competitive business, while travel overall is apparently still suffering from overcapacity.