My week on the Escape (Chapter 2) Dec 3-10 (Somewhat Live)

ljrfrm

I'm heading back to the Escape again, so I thought I'd start my review now. For those of you that are interested, here is Chapter 1 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2336702

Last March I was lucky enough to receive an upsell to the Haven.....and I was in Gummy Bear heaven! Although I received an email to bid for the Haven, I had to decide between a decent bid and my son's college tuition (It was a close call!!). I placed 5 bids - all in the poor range - and was shut out. So, I will be muddling through this cruise in my BF balcony cabin - and supplying my own Gummy Bears. After last cruise, my only regret was that I felt like I might have missed out on some things by hanging in the Haven so much - so I'm looking forward to getting another chance to experience all the Escape has to offer.

I always book my cruises in advanced - usually over a year out. And spend months planning, and waiting and looking forward to the sailing. This time, things happened differently - and we made the decision to cruise just 32 days out. This trip was here before we knew it.

Background information - I'm 50 and husband is 52. We have 3 children, ages 24, 21 and 16. The youngest son came with us on our last Escape adventure. This time, it will just be husband and I. The youngest is actually off to the Bahamas tomorrow on a school field trip. Can you believe that? When I was in high school, I was lucky if we took a field trip to the theater. And he goes on a one-week snorkeling trip to a research center to study marine biology. How cool is that?? I digress...... So, son was heading off to the Bahamas and I was totally jealous. We won't have any kids here all week - and you know what that means! When the cat's away - the mice will play! We decided to go away - and after searching deals and looking around, I realized that this cruise was a bargain! We got an amazing price for a BF Balcony. We don't really have much desire to do any excursions - been there, done that! I just want a week of food, drinks, sun and fun. What better place for that than the Escape.

Our BF was actually a guarantee balcony cabin that allowed us to still get the unlimited beverage package (no way I'd sail without that!) and I chose the free daily service charge. We were immediately assigned a B3 balcony cabin the next day. I'm not sure about the cabin we were assigned (I have some worries - more on that later) but needless to say, I'm on the ship so I really don't care. As we booked 32 days out, there were NO reservations available for restaurants other than 5:30 pm and a few 9:00 pm. So, I decided to wait and will wing it when we get there. SO, I have gone from planning everything (I literally made ALL my restaurant reservations at midnight 90 days out last time) to having zero plans at all. I have NO idea how this is going to go. Wish me luck.

I'm about to buy the unlimited Internet package (I want to be able to keep up with son's class blog while he is gone) which I've never had before. Usually I unplug while sailing. I also always fly down at least one day before, as I always knew if I fly in the day of sailing I'd somehow manage to miss to boat. Guess what? Yep. I'm flying down to Miami tomorrow. Son is flying out with school and has to be at the airport at 4:30 am - so there was no way that I could leave today. So, I'll be checking son into his flight (or, should I say dumping him with the chaperone) and I'll be running off to catch my direct flight down to Miami. I'm due in at 8:30 am - and the ship doesn't sail until 7:00 pm. Let's hope that's plenty of time for me to get there. See? Everything about this trip is opposite what I usually do!

We have to wake up in 5 hours and I've barely packed - I also somehow convinced myself I will only bring a small carry on (no way I want to risk losing my luggage without the overnight cushion I usually have) and I have no idea how to cram everything in it. This will definitely be an all-nighter. Husband has been in Mexico all week for business and is taking the red eye tonight and arriving into Miami a few hours before me. For anyone who happens to be sailing tomorrow - you will know it's us as we'll be the ones asleep at the muster drill.

I'm hoping to update this thread throughout the week - I might even throw in a photo or two (if I can figure out how to do that, LOL). Wish me luck packing!!

I'm also on the Escape tomorrow!!! Can't wait!!! Good luck packing. I was lucky to live in GA and pack a couple of bags (I overpacked for sure). But I spend all day driving down to Miami.

Planning on sleeping??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Made it to bed at 1:30 am and despite an alarm clock malfunction (so happy I set that back up at the last minute) I was up at 3:15 am. Woke son up, Uber came and we arrive at the airport at 4:30 on the dot! Dropped son off with his teachers, big hug goodbye and then I was off to my flight.

I always use United reward miles but they don't fly direct anymore to Miami so I found a great fare with American. The flight was a quick 2 hour and 15 min flight and I arrived at 8:20 am. I had to gate check my fat carryon so met husband at baggage claim. Mine was one of the first suitcases off and a $14.25 Uber ride later we were looking at the escape. We arrived at 9:30 on the dot. Security opened just before 10, we checked in and received boarding group 3. We were literally the second ones to get upstairs to wait.

So here we sit, with the other Vibe wannabes - waiting for the all clear to sprint. I refuse to sprint- but will settle for a brisk walk. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have a great cruise! Hope you get Vibe -it was wonderful on our February Escape

Going back to read your chapter 1 - we're doing the opposite of you -- we were in a mini on the Escape last February and are in the Haven for our upcoming trip.

Looking forward to your review!

Enjoy!

Have a great cruise! Hope you get Vibe -it was wonderful on our February Escape

Going back to read your chapter 1 - we're doing the opposite of you -- we were in a mini gon the Escape last February and are in the Haven for our upcoming trip.

Looking forward to your review!

Enjoy!

Thanks! You will love the Haven!

So, once we were onboard and scored our Vibe passes we went to Taste, or was it Savor for lunch. While there was no wait to be seated, lunch itself took an hour and a half. We were in vacation mode and in no hurry so a slow lunch was fine. I ordered chicken nachos and a cheeseburger. Only high class food for me I guess. After lunch we explored, checked out our cabin then went to Vibe.

At Vibe, we met the staff (they are so much fun!) We made good use of our drink plan. Remember I was functioning on 2 hours of sleep so maybe not the wisest move but a lot of fun.

Our suitcases were at our cabin by 4. This is similar to the last time in the Haven, which I think is pretty impressive compared to other ships. At some point we unpacked- but I can't remember what time that was.. More on the cabin later.....

We were on our balcony for sail away which was pretty close to 7 pm and then went to Food Republic for dinner. I had the Bulgagi Tacos and Dates with Chorizo again- and they were just as amazing as I remember. I also had the skewered chicken which l don't remembered what they were called. Husband had a bunch of fishy things (yuck) which he also thought was very good.

After dinner we went to Howl At The Moon in Headliners. Now, I can't carry a tune but that doesn't stop me! I know all the words to every song and love to sing along. While the talent didn't seem to me as quite strong as last time, I still had fun.

We headed back to the cabin around 11:15. Our no sleep Fri night was catching up with us! We watched the end of the Big ten college football game online and texted a bit with the kids. This whole Internet as you cruise thing is new to us-and although I was glad I had it, I did kind of miss being unplugged. We were able to see that son made it safely to the Bahamas and had a great night of marine biology exploration and star gazing. Once offline, we crashed! While to me the bed didn't seem quite as comfortable as the Haven, it was great and I slept like a log until 9 am today.

Following you, this will be fun. Why? Because like you I book at least a year out and plan everything. It will be enjoyable to hear how a wing it cruise will go.

We too have been in the haven on our past 2 cruises and PH suites the two before those. Now back to a humble aft balcony:o I love aft balconies don't get me wrong but after suites and the Haven I too will be a bit green eyed when I see the Haven guests board. I remember the feeling of being taken onboard as a haven guest - pure "haven"

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you for sharing during your cruise. Sounds like you are already having a great time. I'll be reading along.

Thanks! Sitting in Vibe drinking one of Ruby's skinny perfect margaritas. Somehow I don't think there is anything skinny about this cruise!!

Following you, this will be fun. Why? Because like you I book at least a year out and plan everything. It will be enjoyable to hear how a wing it cruise will go.

We too have been in the haven on our past 2 cruises and PH suites the two before those. Now back to a humble aft balcony:o I love aft balconies don't get me wrong but after suites and the Haven I too will be a bit green eyed when I see the Haven guests board. I remember the feeling of being taken onboard as a haven guest - pure "haven"

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks! Once you go Haven it's hard to go back....but I'm muddling through. Still can't help having a great time!!

Edited by ljrfrm

Thank you for sharing during your cruise. Sounds like you are already having a great time. I'll be reading along.

Thanks! Working on today's installments-but ended up taking a nice nap instead. Will try to post some more soon.

We slept until 9 am today. Husband said I snored- I don't believe him. I think I could have slept all day! But- I had places to go and people to see so up I went! I went out on the balcony to feel the warm sun. It was windy and not really so warm. Oh well, it's not cold so all is good. It was 9:45 by the time we were dressed and ready to go so we went to O`Sheehans for breakfast since it went to 11. I wasn`the too hungry so just got the assorted pastries (that just counts AS ONE item right?) and a bowl of oatmeal. It came out fast and was fine. I usually love breakfast but I just wasn't too into it today.

After breakfast we went to buy some suntan lotion. I couldn't bring any since I didn't check my bag. It was $10.99 for 6 Oz. Yikes. Then off to the cabin to put on suits and head to Vibe.