Sugar-free Alcoholic Beverages

Studebaker59

I am not a Diabetic.

I chose the Specialty Dining & Ultimate Beverage Packages for my next Gem cruise. I gain weight on every cruise so I'm wondering if you can suggest which alcoholic cocktails are made without sugar, or with a sugar substitute.

Please name some of your favorite Gem bartenders who might be able to help me.

My cruise is in five weeks.

Try a Google search I found the following:

Gin, rum, whiskey and vodka don't contain any added alcohol. Beer doesn't have added sugar either. Being made from grapes wine will have sugar.

If you're goal is to manage weight gain perhaps consider tackling from the other end: activity

Perhaps use the gym/classes if that is to your liking, that and dancing are my mother's choices, she probably took a early morning class 3-4 times on our cruise. I have had success managing my weight and still enjoy the special indulgences while on vacation (cruise, Disney World, etc.) by making sure I have fun activities that encourage movement. I also use the stairs a lot when I cruise. I am not a skinny mini just try to keep things in check while enjoying vacation.

For my next cruise I've mixed in both active and kick back excursions and that will also help me.

Edited by Nola26

Well, of course there's rum and Diet Coke, but assuming ur asking about something more tropical. Think your best shot will be to stick with drinks made fresh in front of you will juices as opposed to pre-made drinks out of jugs and using mixers. Some ideas, skinny margarita, mimosa, tequila sunrise, etc.

Wine is also supposed to be a relatively low calorie drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the worst calorie wise is a vacation favorite, Pina Colada which has about 500 calories.The cream of coconut really adds those calories Remember juices are also loaded with sugar, Best bet is something with water or club soda

But youre on vacation so cut back somewhere else. Give up the desserts (not that great on NCL anyway) Walk while in port,avoid shuttles. For lunch, have a salad instead of pizza. Most important is have fun You can always diet when you get home

You're wise to not pile bad on top of bad, but if you're truly being weight conscious the real thing to watch out for is the alcohol itself.

Alcohol is a cousin to sugar, except it has 7 calories/gram where sugar only has 4! And unlike fat (with a whopping 9 calories/gram) it doesn't leave you feeling full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a Diabetic.

I chose the Specialty Dining & Ultimate Beverage Packages for my next Gem cruise. I gain weight on every cruise so I'm wondering if you can suggest which alcoholic cocktails are made without sugar, or with a sugar substitute.

Do you realize that each small beer has about 150 calories, a 5-ounce glass of red wine has about 125 calories, and a 1.5 ounce shot of gin, rum, vodka, whiskey or tequila has about 100 calories.

If you have a mixed drink made with alcohol and a soda it is going to be about 250 - 300 calories. If you have a fruity drink it is going to be over 500 calories.

I don't know of any drinks that are made with a sugar substitute, but you can mix any alcohol with a no calorie soda to minimize the calories you drink.

I am not a Diabetic.

Unless you are a truly serious drinker, you are wise enough to know that your weight gain is primarily coming from food, and not from a few coctails daily.

I order "diet" mixers whenever possible. Rum and Diet Coke, vodka and diet tonic, and keep drinks mixed with fruit juices or ice cream ( Pina Coladas, Rebellious Fish;), Mudslides) to a minimum. Fruit juices are full of "natural" sugar, and any kind of sugar = calories. A tall glass of OJ/Pineapple Juice with a shot or two of rum or vodka is full of calories, but not from the alcohol. There are "light" beers which are lower in calories.

Not sure how tomato juice compares to something like OJ. You might look up the calorie count on a Bloody Mary if you like those.

I've thought about this myself but came to the conclusion that I'm on vacation and I really don't want to worry about it. The plan is to eat fairly healthy for breakfast and lunch, move around as much as I can, and limit the calorie bomb drinks to one or two a day. I'm not going to deprive myself of the good stuff on the week that I've planned for and looked forward to for almost a year!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I take a handful of the Wyler's raspberry sugar free packets like the ones you add to bottled water.

Then I order vodka with water and lime. Add my raspberry. Tastes like a cape cod.

I sometimes go for sparkling water.

^^^Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you plan on sticking to sugar free! The drink mix packets come in all kinds of great flavors. They even have a Margarita flavor one at Target. Take a water bottle, make your sf drink mix and order a shot to dump in it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I lost 5 pounds on my last cruise. Drank a LOT - flavored vodka and diet Pepsi, wine, margaritas, martinis.

The key for me was food portion control - mostly sit down meals with app, entree and dessert. But I danced all night every night and walked a ton.

I tend to lose around 5lbs per 7 nights on board.

I refuse all bread and all desserts. I tend to eat meat, fish, eggs and vegetables keeping potato to a minimum and no rice or pasta. I don't drink fruity cocktails with mix in them. I drink mostly diet Pepsi sometimes with rum.

This is generally how I eat at home too. At home I lose 2lbs per week, as I am less active and spend more time at my desk.

Lots of good points on this thread. I went wild on my Breakaway cruise on 11/13, so I'm sure I was drinking 1500-2000 calories a day lol. Yikes. I did 30-60 min of weights/cardio a day, and still gained, but my eating didn't help either. The best option (for me) would be to do a flavored vodka with soda water. At least that may only be about 100 calories a drink. I stay away from sweet sodas (even diet) because I drink them MUCH faster than plain soda water. If you're set on trying a few sugary/sweet/mixed drinks, save them for "earlier" in the day when you have a better chance of working it off before bedtime.

Edited by PierceChristopher

I tend to lose around 5lbs per 7 nights on board.

I refuse all bread and all desserts. I tend to eat meat, fish, eggs and vegetables keeping potato to a minimum and no rice or pasta. I don't drink fruity cocktails with mix in them. I drink mostly diet Pepsi sometimes with rum.

This is generally how I eat at home too. At home I lose 2lbs per week, as I am less active and spend more time at my desk.

So you will disappear in about a year ?

In my experience with trying to avoid sugary cocktails, which is vast, having been on a low carb Atkins style diet for years, I found the most enjoyable to be flavored vodka with soda and lime. The flavored vodkas have a great taste to them. Be sure to drink good quality ones like Absolut, Grey Goose or Stoli, those are made with natural fruit flavors and have no carbs (or sugar). The cheaper ones like Pinnacle contain sugar (which is why they actually taste much more satisfying). Learned that the hard way! Someone mentioned that all alcohol has sugar, this is incorrect. All plain hard liquor is 100% sugar free. Most dry white wine is low in carbs. Sauvignon blanc and sparkling wines are a safe bet to keep sugar low.