Viking Spirit Paris to Normandy 2015

Minion Minder

This will be a start of our adventure, and I'll try and keep up with key points as they are happening.

First off, we're new to this. Apart from a 3 day honeymoon cruise (Vancouver to LA) we haven't done any cruising. We usually fly and drive (and the stories my beloved could tell you of my driving on Scottish highland highways...I digress).

This trip is more of an experiment. My wife has not been to the "Continent", and would like to see and visit Paris. I would like to see Juno Beach and Vimy (both places I had family members participate in those battles). We weren't keen on the large ocean going vessels (and the duration was too short to give a true feel of it). A river cruise with about 140 odd people seemed a good compromise between 8 (on a canal barge) and 1000+ on the ocean liners.

Why Viking? Of the 3 main contenders (Viking, Avalon, & AMA (?)), Viking had the most of the optional tours we wanted to go on. No cruise line had it all, and Viking seemed to be a good choice. We'll, of course, see. No bias as we've not been on any other lines. Viking will be our "gold standard" for any other cruises.

Flights... We did not choose to go with the Viking Air option and have made our own flight plans. We did go for the transfer from CDG airport to the ship. We may be more adventuresome next time.

I'll reply as things happen

Take care

MM

Have a great cruise!

A former colleague has been very involved with the Juno Beach memorial centre and I'm certain you'll find it a moving experience. Perhaps the ship's tours will also visit one of the local Canadian cemeteries.

The Spirit was the first river ship we sailed on and, although now dated in design, provided a wonderful experience. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

We were on this cruise last October. Regarding the beaches and cemeteries, see the cruise director early on and Viking will supply a "Canadian" bus to tour Juno beach, Pegasus bridge and Canadian /British cemeteries. I believe we had 8 people on the bus.

Since the Spirit is an older ship, and presumably not a "longship", is it possible that you are docking in Paris proper and not in Le Pecq? If so that would be a definite plus. Do you know where the ship docks?

We are investigating cruises for possibly booking for 2017 or 2018, and this docking mess is pushing us away from Viking, at least as far as the Seine is concerned. I think I would gladly give up the new features of a longship for the ability to avoid Le Pecq.

Thanks Nordski, CWRob. I'll do that (see if we can get a Canadian/British Beach landing tour).

Sharkster77 We will be dock in Paris (about 20 minutes walking from the Eiffel Tower) so long as the water levels permit. The three Pride class ships (Spirit is one) dock there, the larger Longships have to dock at Le Pecq. Only plus side to docking at Le P (that I can see) is that it is (or seems to be) closer to Versaille and one might be able to do some tours there on the free afternoons or evenings. Main downside... it aint Paris... and its hard to get to Paris and back easily.

Take care and I'll update as we get closer to leaving...

MM

Enjoy your cruise Minion Minder! I'll be following along as we are considering this cruise in 2017.

Sharkster77...I don't know if this helps but some earlier posts said Viking intends to have the Paris dockings resolved for the longships by 2016. I watched the Tour de France end on Sunday and aerial shots showed how crowded the Seine was in Paris. From what I gather from "other sources" (I promised not to say) it apparently is a money issue that needs to be resolved. While the Rhine doesn't require docking fees apparently France and the Seine do.

Hello rothbury,

quote: "While the Rhine doesn't require docking fees apparently France and the Seine do."

I am afraid, this is not entirely correct. There are fees (varying amounts) for certain docking stations on the Rhine.

It is unfortunate that there is a difference between the older ships and the longships as regards Paris docking. I can understand local authorities in this respect. There is only limited space on a river and everybody wanting a space close to the Eiffel Tower, well how do you that? One possibility is giving the space to the company that is willing to pay the most... Not wanting to be nasty about this, but I know the situation in Rüdesheim and Koblenz and the local authorities trying to accommodate everyone, it is not getting easier. :(

notamermaid

Thanks, notamermaid! Just going by what I was told on our cruise in December last year. I'm sure your information is more accurate than mine. We had some not very convenient dockings last year and several complaints were voiced. Especially in Cologne and Strasbourg. In both cases we were bussed for 20 minutes or more to get into those towns. The CD said it was first come, first serve and there were no fees involved along the Rhine. Thanks for straightening that out!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks <snip>

Take care and I'll update as we get closer to leaving...

MM

Okay have the Viking travel "package" (actually arrived about a week ago) and now currently trying to set up a Vimy Ridge tour on Sunday the 27th. There are tours Monday or Wednesdays but not for Sunday unless you wish to do it (very) privately for a sum of about 850 euro...for 2 people...

Time for Plan B

1) Train: Gare du Nord to Arras (right now ticket price on the TGV is 18 euro one way or 72 there and back for both of us...)

2) taxi from Arras to the Vimy site is about 25 euro (say 50 there and back)

cost: 122 euro (and the Metro fares...)

Now to try and talk sweetie into braving the trains just when those Americans stopped the terrorists and were diverted into Arras.....

Anyway everything else coming along nicely...

Take care

MM