Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

Hi,

I am very interested in staying in a quaint canal house with very steep steps in Amsterdam pre-cruise and I know it is important to pack light and be able to carry my bag up those dreaded steps.

Yikes, I am going to try to pack a 22" carryon for the entire 9 day trip and would love all suggestions including the amount of clothing necessary for a July trip on the Rhine. I use compression bags and have a Lippault lightweight 4 wheeled bag.

Can it be done? My DH is doubtful. ;) So, help me ladies decide what is absolutely essential and what can be left at home.

I too pack lightly and have only carried on when traveling. (My longest trip was 2 weeks) We will be doing a Danube cruise later this year. While I would love to just carry on, I am finding that many airlines limit the weight of carry ons to 18 lbs! While I pack lightly, I know I take more than 18 pounds. You might be OK on a US airline like Delta but watch out for United. They are making it very difficult. I do think you can do it as long as your airline doesn't place strict limits on the size and weight of your carry on.

As for ideas, pick one or two colors and make sure everything goes together. If you will have access to a washer in Amsterdam, that will help a lot. If not, I try and take tops that can be easily hand washed. Are you also going on a river cruise? If so, I like the idea of no formal nights. I wear a travel friendly pair of black slacks on the plain and then will use them for dinners. I plan to wear jeans during the day ( we are going late fall). I also pack a few scarves to change the look of my tops. I found some good packing suggestions on the cruise fashion forum. This subject comes up all the time.

I will be following this thread and I hope others will give you some good ideas. Have a great time in AMS...your plan sounds like fun.

Absolutely! We have traveled for 2 weeks in Europe multiple times with a 22 inch and medium backpack (electronics and personal items).

My husband uses compression bags but I have not found them necessary. I use packing cubes for everything. IMO, it is all about organization, coordination and fabric.

My taste for daytime wears leans toward the athletic: Nike DriFit fitted tops and jeans/capris/pants that travel well. We do not travel to Europe in the summer but if we did, I would pack capris for day or a skirt.

For evenings, I bring a simple wrap dress that I can accessorize with belts/jewelry and one pair of black slacks that I pair with a variety of tops. Jerseys and knits are my preference. I keep my color palette basic (black and white are my staples).

I pack one pair of dressier shoes for evening wear and two pairs of supportive walking shoes for exploring. I am a fan of Cole Haan shoes with Nike Air and also Merrells.

We do send a items out to be laundered as needed and handwash when appropriate.

It is liberating to travel light - I highly recommend it!

I wear a pair of gray cargo/type capris and pack one like it in beige. I have 5-7 colored long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tees (1 is black) that go with both the capris. (i buy from walmart, target, old navy, which means not a lot $ invested and the fabric is very light weight so that they dry easily if hand washing is necessary). I also take a 3 oz bottle of detergent from home..especially good if you like unscented soap.

I pack 1 pair of black travel slacks, 1 lightweight jersey type top that is printed and 1 pair of black ballet shoes; that + the black tee top works for most social situations.

I pair of silver hoop earrings and perhaps whatever else i might purchase= a necklace, scarf, etc. relieves the black!

5-7 pairs underwear, 1 nightie, 1 pair of yoga type pants for in cabin, 1 black fleece (gloves in pocket) jacket, 2 pairs socks & good sneakers; wear 1 and the other is old pair for rainy days that gets thrown away at end of trip.

Most tees go in one plastic bag with air smushed out, the 1pair of capris & slacks in another. underwear and nightie in another=3 small bags.

My tip: create one plastic bag with 2 tees, 2 underwear, 1 pair socks and give it to your companion to carry in his bag and have him do the same. That way you will have clothes to change into if the luggage takes several days to catch up! Hopefully they won't lose both bags!!

backpack for airplane includes 1 pair of underwear, 1 of the tees and my toilet kit ( in case luggage doesn't catch up with us)

traveling light is liberating!!!

I too am a light packer. Done 10 days with a carry on and Vera Bradley "miller" bag.

The miller bag is essential to me but a backpack would do just as well. Any bag that will fit under your plane seat. I use this for personal items, electronics & jewelery.

I love Soma brand dresses. They are light, pack well, comfy and can be worn with different jewelery or scarves to change the look. They are also cool. They could be worn during the day for light touring. In a pinch they could be washed in the sink and hung to dry. Then its one pair of capri pants, 4 t shirts, underwear, nightgown & I bring 1 pair of black or neutral tone sandals.

I agree color is important- everything I take is color coordinated.

Also, I pile on the clothes to wear on the plane. The heaviest clothes I bring along I wear: jeans,a camisole or light t shirt, shirt and a light sweater or some light jacket along with a scarf. Then socks ( a must for a long haul flight IMHO) and closed toe walking shoes.

I too am a light packer. Done 10 days with a carry on and Vera Bradley "miller" bag.

The miller bag is essential to me but a backpack would do just as well. Any bag that will fit under your plane seat. I use this for personal items, electronics & jewelery.

I love Soma brand dresses. They are light, pack well, comfy and can be worn with different jewelery or scarves to change the look. They are also cool. They could be worn during the day for light touring. In a pinch they could be washed in the sink and hung to dry. Then its one pair of capri pants, 4 t shirts, underwear, nightgown & I bring 1 pair of black or neutral tone sandals.

I agree color is important- everything I take is color coordinated.

Also, I pile on the clothes to wear on the plane. The heaviest clothes I bring along I wear: jeans,a camisole or light t shirt, shirt and a light sweater or some light jacket along with a scarf. Then socks ( a must for a long haul flight IMHO) and closed toe walking shoes.

Yes, I love Soma as well! So soft! I also wear the travelers collection from Chico's that fold in a compression bag and will do a few different tops, but I think wearing the heavier pieces is pretty good idea. Thanks.

The reversible dress is up to you obviously. I personally don't have a problem rewearing clothes so I don't worry about having 2 "evenings". Truly, no one is going to notice if you wear the same thing every night for 9 nights!

Whatever you are comfortable with is what counts, but as Mr Wonderful is so fond of saying when asked about putting something in the suitcase...."you're carrying it!"

I wear a pair of gray cargo/type capris and pack one like it in beige. I have 5-7 colored long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tees (1 is black) that go with both the capris. (i buy from walmart, target, old navy, which means not a lot $ invested and the fabric is very light weight so that they dry easily if hand washing is necessary). I also take a 3 oz bottle of detergent from home..especially good if you like unscented soap.

I pack 1 pair of black travel slacks, 1 lightweight jersey type top that is printed and 1 pair of black ballet shoes; that + the black tee top works for most social situations.

I pair of silver hoop earrings and perhaps whatever else i might purchase= a necklace, scarf, etc. relieves the black!

5-7 pairs underwear, 1 nightie, 1 pair of yoga type pants for in cabin, 1 black fleece (gloves in pocket) jacket, 2 pairs socks & good sneakers; wear 1 and the other is old pair for rainy days that gets thrown away at end of trip.

Most tees go in one plastic bag with air smushed out, the 1pair of capris & slacks in another. underwear and nightie in another=3 small bags.

My tip: create one plastic bag with 2 tees, 2 underwear, 1 pair socks and give it to your companion to carry in his bag and have him do the same. That way you will have clothes to change into if the luggage takes several days to catch up! Hopefully they won't lose both bags!!

backpack for airplane includes 1 pair of underwear, 1 of the tees and my toilet kit ( in case luggage doesn't catch up with us)

traveling light is liberating!!!

Love the idea of cross packing in DH suitcase, but we are going to carry on everything with no checked bags, so the hope is no wasted time at baggage claim + no lost baggage. We are arranging our own flights and will have multi-city tickets. Yes, I agree, traveling light is liberating! I am going to check the wt requirements as someone else mentioned only 18 lbs!!! Yikes, I know I can't do only 18 lbs.......:confused:

I too pack lightly and have only carried on when traveling. (My longest trip was 2 weeks) We will be doing a Danube cruise later this year. While I would love to just carry on, I am finding that many airlines limit the weight of carry ons to 18 lbs! While I pack lightly, I know I take more than 18 pounds. You might be OK on a US airline like Delta but watch out for United. They are making it very difficult. I do think you can do it as long as your airline doesn't place strict limits on the size and weight of your carry on.

As for ideas, pick one or two colors and make sure everything goes together. If you will have access to a washer in Amsterdam, that will help a lot. If not, I try and take tops that can be easily hand washed. Are you also going on a river cruise? If so, I like the idea of no formal nights. I wear a travel friendly pair of black slacks on the plain and then will use them for dinners. I plan to wear jeans during the day ( we are going late fall). I also pack a few scarves to change the look of my tops. I found some good packing suggestions on the cruise fashion forum. This subject comes up all the time.

I will be following this thread and I hope others will give you some good ideas. Have a great time in AMS...your plan sounds like fun.

Yikes, PurdueMom,

I looked up the following information after your comment re: the 18lb limit and this makes me nervous. Wow, we all need to see the individual rules of the airline we are flying. See the below chart categorized by airline, Here is the source of this info: :confused:

http://thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/internationalcarryonluggageallowances.htm

International Airline/Flight Policies - Carry On Luggage

Airline Allowance Max wt per piece Max size per piece

Aer Lingus

One plus small personal items 6kg/13lbs 22" x 18" x 10"

Aeroflot

One plus small personal items 10kg/22lbs 115cm/45"

Air Canada

One piece plus one personal item 10kg/22lbs each 21.5" x 15.5" x 9"

personal item 17" x 13" x 6"

Air France

One plus one accessory 12kg/26.4lbs for both 18kg/39.6lbs in business class

115cm/45"

Air New Zealand

One plus personal items

7kg/15lbs

115cm/45"

Alitalia

One 5kg/11lbs

55cm x 35cm x 25cm (22" x 14" x 10")

All Nippon Airways

One plus personal items

10kg/22lbs

115cm/45" but max dimensions 22" x 16" x 9"

Asiana

One plus personal items

Two plus personal items for first/business class

10kg/22lbs

55cm x 40cm x 23cm

Austrian Airlines

One

8kg/18lbs

115cm/45"

BMI British Midland

One plus one personal item

'You must be able to lift it yourself'

55cm x 40cm x 23cm

British Airways

not specified (was formerly 23kg/51lbs)

56cm x 45cm x 25cm

Cathay Pacific

J/P pax can also bring 1 garment or soft bag

7/10/15kg (15/22/33lbs) for coach/bus/first

115cm/45"

easyJet

One

no weight limit specified

55cm x 40cm x 20cm

El Al

One

8kg/17.6lb

22" x 18" x 10"

Emirates

One for coach

Two for J/P pax

7kg/15lbs

12kg/26lbs total for J/P pax

22" x 15" x 8"

EVA Air

One plus a laptop

7kg/15lbs

56cm x 36cm x 23cm

Finnair

One plus personal items

Two for Business Class plus personal items

8kg/18lb coach

10kg/22lb combined for Business Class

22" x 18" x 10"

Garuda

One plus personal items

7kg/15lbs

56cm x 36cm x 32cm

Iberia

One plus personal items

10kg/22lbs

115cm/45"

Icelandair

One plus personal items

6kg/13lbs

115cm/45"

Japan Airlines

10kg/22lbs

115cm/45"

KLM

12kg/26lbs

55cm x 35cm x 25cm (115cm total/45")

Korean Air

12kg/25lbs

55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21" x 16" x 8" in) = 115cm/45"

LanChile

One piece plus one personal item

8kg/18lbs

16kg/35lbs for first/business class

55cm x 25cm x 35cm = 115cm

Lufthansa

One piece plus personal items

8kg/18lbs

55cm x 40cm x 20cm

Malaysia Airlines

One piece plus one personal item

5kg/11lbs

115cm/45" on widebody, 40" on single aisle planes

Mexicana

One piece

10kg

115cm/45"

Olympic Airlines

One piece

8kg

56cm x 36cm x 23cm

OpenSkies

One piece plus a laptop or briefcase

23kg/51lbs - must be able to lift into overhead unaided

56cm x 45cm x 25cm

Qantas

One plus personal items

2 pieces for J/P travel except to/from the US when only 1

7kg/15lbs

115cm/45"

Ryanair

One

10kg/22lbs

55cm x 40cm x 20cm

SAS

One

8kg/18lbs

115cm/45"

Singapore Airlines

One plus personal items

7kg/15lbs

115cm/45"

South African Airways

One

8kg

115cm/45"

Swiss

One plus personal items

Two for J/P pax

8kg

115cm/45"

Thai Airways

One

7kg/15lbs

115cm/45"

Virgin Atlantic

One plus personal items

Two for Upper Class

6kg/13lbs

16kg total, no more than 12kg each for Upper Class

115cm/45"

WestJet

Two

10kg each

First 21.5" x 15.5" x 9"; second 16.5" x 13" x 6"

Janice at The Vivienne Files has been oh-so-helpful for me putting together packing/capsule wardrobes to improve my packing!

One problem for me is that we tend to enjoy Europe in cooler seasons, so it can be a little harder to pack light. On the other hand, no one ever sees what I'm wearing since I'm walking around wearing a coat all the time:p

My packing list is very similar to Caviaragal's (my evening dress - for cold weather, at least - is black merino wool -it's not too hot if the heat is up, and I can wear it with boots & wool or fleece lined tights if I want to wear it walking around in the cold.

Based on the colors I like, my packing tends to consist of black, khaki, red & turquoise. Usually more turquoise & khaki in the summer, black & red (and maybe some leopard;)) in the fall or winter.

I already have started my packing combo ideas for our December river cruise:D I have a powerpoint with photo combos and everything. I know, it's an illness.

Janice at The Vivienne Files has been oh-so-helpful for me putting together packing/capsule wardrobes to improve my packing!

One problem for me is that we tend to enjoy Europe in cooler seasons, so it can be a little harder to pack light. On the other hand, no one ever sees what I'm wearing since I'm walking around wearing a coat all the time:p

My packing list is very similar to Caviaragal's (my evening dress - for cold weather, at least - is black merino wool -it's not too hot if the heat is up, and I can wear it with boots & wool or fleece lined tights if I want to wear it walking around in the cold.

Based on the colors I like, my packing tends to consist of black, khaki, red & turquoise. Usually more turquoise & khaki in the summer, black & red (and maybe some leopard;)) in the fall or winter.

I already have started my packing combo ideas for our December river cruise:D I have a powerpoint with photo combos and everything. I know, it's an illness.

We also travel mostly in the fall, which does require a bit more creativity. :)

I found a fabulous black merino wool sweater dress at White House/Black Market and took it on our recent Tulip cruise. I wore it with heeled booties and two different pairs of patterned tights; different belts and jewelry. It was a hit and my husband complimented me several times on my outfit(s). It will be a new staple for fall and winter travel.

I can't believe I forgot to mention leopard, and animal prints in general. I don't leave home without them and am on the hunt for some great animal print stretch booties for my next trip. Shoes make the outfit and I am a fashion lover, carry on or checked.:D

I just booked tickets to London for the New Year's holiday and am already thinking about what to pack for that trip.

I have a powerpoint with photo combos and everything. I know, it's an illness.

Hoyaheel, a friend turned me on to Polyvore.com. You can mix and match outfits online and plan out your travel wardrobe. Great for clothes lovers!

Edited by caviargal

crewsgirl -

some great packing suggestions here. Stick to the basic color combinations. I do either black or navy as my basic color.

One word of warning: compression bags make you over pack and your bags will be way too heavy to lug around. Packing cubes are great to get things organized. Eagle Creek has some new ultra light weight cubes that weigh nothing. Some other brands are heavier and a set of three could add more than a pound to your travel weight. Every ounce counts.

We generally travel for 4 weeks at a time and carry only a 22" carryon and a backpack each. We do pack a set of underwear, a shirt and toiletries in the backpack just in case they make you check the larger carryon either at the gate or checking in. It could happen in domestic flights in other countries. You did a great job putting all the weight allowances on this board.

It is always a good aim to leave some room in the suitcase and not to use the expansion gusset when flying out. Dirty clothes and souvenirs will take up the extra room on the way back. We always check the carryon on the trip home. After a month I don't care who gets my dirty laundry.

Crewgirl, great compilation of luggage information! I also notices that some of the airlines also specify restrictions for the personal item so that you are limited in size to a fairly small item. To everyone else who has posted, great ideas....does anyone like have a work around for the weight limit for carry ons? I understand that Lufthansa will weigh your carry on at the gate. Not every flight but one never knows. I wonder how many others do the same? Anybody have experience dealing with this or has anyone had trouble taking a carry on size roll aboard on flights? Over on the Cruise Air forum, there are posts about problems with United since their stricter carry on policy went into affect. I know that many are happy about it because they are tired of the oversize bags that take up so much bin space and slow down boarding. However, I am more concerned with making sure that my luggage takes the same vacation I do and at the same time!

I can't believe I forgot to mention leopard, and animal prints in general. I don't leave home without them and am on the hunt for some great animal print stretch booties for my next trip.

I knew our styles were similar in some ways:p

Hoyaheel, a friend turned me on to Polyvore.com. You can mix and match outfits online and plan out your travel wardrobe. Great for clothes lovers!

I played around with it a couple years ago and didn't love it - guess I'm slightly lower tech in some ways? I definitely browse other people's outfits there, and on Pinterest. There are some fun Pinterest boards on packing - various countries, types of trips, seasons etc.

A couple skirts and dresses in no-wrinkle fabric (nothing too short), a couple short sleeve shirts, a washable cardigan, a fleece, a pair of pants/jeans, comfy but nice looking sandals, and some laundry detergent. Let your hair air dry.

And I have lugged a 50 lb suitcase up a canal house staircase. Doable but scary :) Packing light will definitely be the way to go. Just wash stuff in the sink.

... and some laundry detergent... Packing light will definitely be the way to go. Just wash stuff in the sink.

No need to pack laundry detergent. Shampoo works just as well in the sink and you get it for free in the hotel or cruise boat.

Crewgirl, great compilation of luggage information! I also notices that some of the airlines also specify restrictions for the personal item so that you are limited in size to a fairly small item. To everyone else who has posted, great ideas....does anyone like have a work around for the weight limit for carry ons? I understand that Lufthansa will weigh your carry on at the gate. Not every flight but one never knows. I wonder how many others do the same? Anybody have experience dealing with this or has anyone had trouble taking a carry on size roll aboard on flights? Over on the Cruise Air forum, there are posts about problems with United since their stricter carry on policy went into affect. I know that many are happy about it because they are tired of the oversize bags that take up so much bin space and slow down boarding. However, I am more concerned with making sure that my luggage takes the same vacation I do and at the same time!

PurdueMom, good points! Here is the CURRENT Delta link discussing baggage (We fly Delta out of Atlanta) I do not see a stated Weight Limit http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

and here is a quick cut/paste detailing carryon baggage

SO WHAT EXACTLY IS ALLOWED?

Approved Personal Items

1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag

or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)

or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Additional Approved Items

The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):

A jacket or umbrella

Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint

Duty-free merchandise

Special items like strollers, child restraint seats or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches

CARRY-ON SIZE RESTRICTIONS

It won’t fit. Three words you don’t want to hear when trying to board. To avoid delays and possible checked bag fees, follow these size requirements:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

Passengers traveling on Delta Connection flights, and only those flights with fifty (50) seats or less, are only permitted to carry personal items on board the aircraft due to limited overhead space. Personal items must be able to fit securely under the seat in front of the passenger. All carry-on bags within Delta's size restrictions will be gate checked, free of charge, during the boarding process and returned upon deplaning. Please ensure that a pink Gate Claim/Planeside tag is securely attached to the carry-on item. Assistive devices are not subject to this restriction.

Delta partners with KLM and here is their specific information (NOTE the Weight Limits)

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.htm

and here is a quick cut and paste of that info:

Free baggage per travel class

Economy Class on:

Intercontinental KLM flights

European KLM flights that are part of an intercontinental journey

KLM flights between continental Europe and Italy, Russia, Belarus, Georgia and the Ukraine

Fully flexible ticket types Y & B

Check-in baggage:

1 suitcase* of max. 23 kg / 50 lbs

Hand baggage:

1 bag**, and

1 accessory, e.g. a handbag or a laptop

Combined max. 12 kg / 26 lbs

Economy Class on European KLM flights, including KLM flights between continental Europe and Algeria, Israel, Morocco and Tunisia.

Exceptions:

KLM flights to and from Belarus, Georgia, Italy, Russia and the Ukraine

Fully flexible ticket types Y and B

For these flights, please see ‘Intercontinental flights’ above.

Hand baggage only:

1 bag**, and

Combined max. 12 kg / 26 lbs

Booked a flight? Bring a suitcase (up to 23 kg) for EUR 15 (airport price: EUR 30).

Business Class on KLM flights

Check-in baggage:

2 suitcases*

Each max 32 kg / 70.5 lbs

Hand baggage:

1 bag**, and

1 smaller bag***, and

Combined max. 18 kg / 40 lbs

If you bought an upgrade during check-in or at a self-service machine, your original baggage allowance still applies.

Sizes

* Each suitcase may measure max. 158 cm / 62 in (l + w + h).

** A piece of hand baggage may measure max. 55 x 25 x 35 cm / 21.5 x 10 x 13.5 in (l x b x h).

*** In Business Class you may bring a second, smaller piece of hand baggage that measures max. 45 x 20 x 35 cm / 18 x 8 x 13.5 in (l x w x h).

Please note: our partners may have different baggage rules. If (part of) your journey is with another airline, please see their baggage rules. :eek:

If packing so light in a 22 or carryon, where do you place your souvenirs or other items you have purchased?

I travel with a 22-inch carryon and a light backpack. I try not to pack the 22-inch carryon tight and I do not open its expansion gusset. I also pack an empty medium size nylon duffle bag. The duffle fits very well folded flat in one of the outside pockets of the carryon.

The trick is to check the carryon on the return flight and use the duffle bag as my new carryon. On the way back, I fill up the carryon and open the expansion gusset if necessary. Overflow items, if any, go in the duffle bag. Of course, valuables, expensive purchases and medicine go in the duffle or in my lightweight backpack. The checked bag has all my dirty laundry, inexpensive souvenirs (t-shirts, etc) and toiletries I will not need.

If packing so light in a 22 or carryon, where do you place your souvenirs or other items you have purchased?

Great question! When we took the Canada New England cruise, we mailed home a small box of clothing when we docked in Portland and made space for purchases.Otherwise, I look for small easy to fit in items. For our Danube cruise, we are checking a larger bag but by packing as if I only have the 22 inch carry on, I will have room for purchases. Some will say they aren't shoppers and others buy from shops that will ship your items. That can be expensive but some do not want to be bothered carrying purchases home so it probably wouldn't matter to them what size suitcase they are using!

YES, Rodie H, This is THE issue. I am planning to ship my goodies home. It is going to be hard to do the black forest & wine regions on the Rhine and not buy a few items.

I am hoping that Christmas ornaments will be available in some year round shops since we won't be there during the glorious Christmas Markets. :(

Also thinking this may be a wonderful opportunity for table linens, clocks, and who knows what else as well!

As a matter of fact, I may mail my dirty clothes home at the end, or even throw them away, if need be to make some room! ;)

Crewgirl, you are fortunate to be flying on Delta. Currently, they don't seem to be limiting carry ons by weight or making you use the sizer? I am guessing you are an airline employee? You will most likely be OK with Delta. We fly stand by on Delta and have never had a problem with carry ons. To me the best part about carrying on only is the freedom to get on any flight that will get you to your destination without worrying about checked luggage.