Solo 1st river cruise

Go2See

Please, any feedback would be great.

I am thinking of doing my first river cruise this summer. I am single, mid fifties female. Well traveled.

Currently, thinking Europe or Asia.

I have heard river cruises are uncomfortable for singles. Please any suggestions for cruise lines, itineraries or other info would be great.

Thanks!

I don't think river cruises would be at all uncomfortable for singles and IMO it would be much easier to socialize, should you choose, on a river boat than on a large ocean liner.

I would hesitate to take a river cruise alone. Choose an itinerary you are really interested; perhaps even a theme cruise where you are sure to encounter like minded people.

Work with a knowledgeable TA who can find you options for cruises when the single supplement is waived, or where a single cabin might be offered.

Please, any feedback would be great.

I am thinking of doing my first river cruise this summer. I am single, mid fifties female. Well traveled.

Currently, thinking Europe or Asia.

I have heard river cruises are uncomfortable for singles. Please any suggestions for cruise lines, itineraries or other info would be great.

Thanks!

The place you'll meet the most people is at dinner, which is open seating and everyone eats at the same time and sits wherever they wish. If you are open and friendly you will have no trouble meeting other people.

PS: I think Caviargal meant that she "would NOT hesitate" to take a river cruise alone and neither would I.

I've not taken a river cruise solo, but twice I've taken tours to Europe solo. While the majority of travelers in my group were couples, there were several other singles, and I had no trouble meeting people. When you travel with people for more than a day, everyone is friendly and welcoming, in my experience!

Go2See, my first river cruise was solo back in 2006 and I had a great time. I'm married but my husband was tied up with work and I wanted to visit Christmas markets, so on a spur of the moment whim I booked a trip on the Danube. Sure there were lots of couples but also a few singles and I never felt uncomfortable. This is only my opinion but if you have any doubts, just do a 7 night to get your feet wet, what have you got to lose? And at the very least you'll see beautiful cities and have a nice break from your normal routine, you just may become addicted to river cruising.

Good luck with making a decision that suits you.

Some river ships even have single cabins, although I think this is tricky to tease out. You may have to go on their websites and check the deck plans. Some of the older AMA ships have a couple of single cabins, but their latest designs don't have them any more.

Some river ships even have single cabins, although I think this is tricky to tease out. You may have to go on their websites and check the deck plans. Some of the older AMA ships have a couple of single cabins, but their latest designs don't have them any more.

Scenic have ONE single cabin on each ship. It is smaller than teh normal twin/double cabins due to a stairwell, I believe.

Otherwise you can book a double cabin for single use, but there is a very hefty supplement.

On our first river cruise with Avalon, there were quite a few single travelers. Most of the other passengers were very welcoming to them, inviting them to sit with them at meals, making sure they felt included, etc. There are not many passengers on a river cruise and it is very easy to get to know all of your fellow travelers. I would have no problems taking a solo river cruise.

If you look at the major river cruise companies, many often waive the single supplement on select cruises. I would try to find one of these.

My husband passed away at the end of 2012 and I vowed to 'keep on cruising'. I find it easy to cruise alone. I am fairly outgoing and mix well with other singles and couples. A friend went with me last year and said that she now understands why it is easy to travel alone. She booked her own trip this year while I am going on Avalon's Grand France (wine themed cruise) leaving on 10/20/15.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Pat (aka Webfoot)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have traveled on 14 river cruises...all as a single with 3 more booked. It is very easy to socialized and meet other passengers on these small (120-170) passengers.

Most of my trips were on GCCL due to their very affordable single supplement. I have avoided the companies(ships) that advertise the small single cabins. The say there is no single supplement but the cost of a single is significantly higher then the doubles right next to them.

I think you will enjoy a river cruise as a solo no matter which line you choose.

I've done several solo ocean cruises, and will be doing my first river cruise this November. I took advantage of Uniworld waiving the single supplement on certain itineraries. If the cruise line didn't want solo travelers, I'm sure they wouldn't have special offers like this, and there would be nothing for them to gain by making solos feel uncomfortable.

I'm really looking forward to my trip down the Danube.

Roz

Several pond ships get sole cabins, even though I do believe that is tough to help tease out. Maybe you have to be their internet sites as well as verify the actual patio ideas. A lot of the more aged AMA ships include a number of sole cabins, however their most up-to-date patterns don't possess them any longer.

g.png

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread:)...I thought about doing a River cruise last year

(or was it 2 years ago?:confused:) but didn't do it....I am now seriously thinking

about TULIP TIME in April 2016.......I always sail solo:D.....I have heard

AMA is really nice so I will be looking at them......maybe this time I will

step outside of that "oceanliner box" and book it;)

AMA's Tulip Time sailing on April 16 is on AmaVerde, which has a single cabin; it's also on sale. If I'm reading their website correctly, it would cost $2,848.

There's also a current thread about Tauck waiving single supplements, but the price is $3,790 for that date:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2239706

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We have met solo travelers on our river cruises. I think they enjoyed their cruises very much.

On river cruises, there are generally about 130-170 passengers on the boat. You will get to know more people than normally on an ocean cruise.

Most people congregate in the bar in the evening and socialize. The entertainment is usually not the dominant factor in the evening.

AMA's Tulip Time sailing on April 16 is on AmaVerde, which has a single cabin; it's also on sale. If I'm reading their website correctly, it would cost $2,848.

There's also a current thread about Tauck waiving single supplements, but the price is $3,790 for that date:

Hi, thanks for the tip:).....actually AMA has more than one sailing

and the ones I looked at all have single cabins.....

Yes, Tauck has a higher price for that date, but Tauck includes all beverages, all day, airport transfers and includes all gratuities so it's not actually more expensive since more is included. Also airport transfers are included whether or not you have cruise air. Furthermore, Tauck does not sell "optional" tours. On several days there may be alternative tours, but nothing costs extra. They are just choices you have.

An earlier sailing with Tauck on April 2 is $2,890. :eek:

The single cabin on the Amaverde is 140 sq ft with a single bed while the cabin on Tauck is 150 sq ft with a double bed. Not a lot of extra room, but every sq ft counts on a river cruise.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

Yes, Tauck has a higher price for that date, but Tauck includes all beverages, all day, airport transfers and includes all gratuities so it's not actually more expensive since more is included. Also airport transfers are included whether or not you have cruise air. Furthermore, Tauck does not sell "optional" tours. On several days there may be alternative tours, but nothing costs extra. They are just choices you have.

An earlier sailing with Tauck on April 2 is $2,890. :eek:

The single cabin on the Amaverde is 140 sq ft with a single bed while the cabin on Tauck is 150 sq ft with a double bed. Not a lot of extra room, but every sq ft counts on a river cruise.

AMA also has earlier sailing dates -- I was trying to compare apples to apples. Yes, Tauck is more inclusive BUT I don't think the extras would add up to $942. AMA includes wine and beer at lunch and dinner, and all excursions are included on AMA. No question the Tauck cabin is bigger, but some double cabins on a famous cruise line are only 135 sf. Tauck is a great cruise line, but I think that at these sale prices they are more expensive. Some people would be happy to pay this small premium for the ease of "all-inclusive" -- that's another factor in Tauck's favor. But AMA is cheaper.

Avalon just sent an email with 2016 Europe itineraries waiving the solo supplement as well. (fine print says 10 staterooms per departure will fall under this promo, E&D categories)

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Specials/Waive-Single-Supplement/?utm_source=avalon&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=internal&emtutc=1512746-9005265

So it looks like the solo traveler could have many options at the moment!

Edited by Hoyaheel

I did a Viking Bordeaux cruise on my own. It was fine. Lots of nice people. BUT I think it is important to find folks on the cruise that share your interests. Even though this was a Wine focused cruise there were some peopl just cutting "notches on their cruise belt".

Well, I am going on my first Rivercruise in April on AMA....TULIP TIME:D

Sails out of Amsterdam......my first time there/Holland/Belgium......

really looking forward to it:D