14 day cruise and laundry ??

Charlie4

The ship's laundry is fine, but expensive. However, every few days they will likely have a "bag special" where instead of charging you $2 to wash a pair of underpants, they will charge you a fixed fee to wash as much as you can stuff in a bag.

DSCN4984-vi.jpg?1349499435

Here's a link to a large version where you can see the prices

http://images20.fotki.com/v503/fileXTGT/32d88/7/649277/10941568/DSCN4984.jpg

I pack light, and I won't pack 14 days of outfits. can you trust the ships laundry, and you really do it all in your room. Any hint or tips would be helpful

What Latitudes level are you?

What type of cabin are you in?

This makes a difference on how long they take to get your laundry back to you, same day or next eve.

You should have 2 chances to get you laundry done on a 14 day cruise.

Last, roll you clothes up as small as you can, you get more in the bag that way.

I pack light, and I won't pack 14 days of outfits. can you trust the ships laundry, and you really do it all in your room. Any hint or tips would be helpful

We use the laundry every cruise, never had a problem.

We always use it at some point during our cruises. The only thing to watch out for is to remember they use some very strong detergents, so items that can't take it shouldn't be sent.

On our Star cruise, I sent out 2 nice polo shirts. One red and the other a bright yellow. They were still relatively new, both having already been washed/dried 3 or 4 times at home. And these were not cheap Made-in-Bangladesh shirts either.

When they were brought back to me their colours were noticeably dulled. It was painfully obvious. The yellow shirt went from being bright as the Sun to dark like Dijon mustard (sorry, I can't think of a better colour reference.)

Both shirts were still wearable however. Hey, it was like having 2 new shirts!

We always use it at some point during our cruises. The only thing to watch out for is to remember they use some very strong detergents, so items that can't take it shouldn't be sent.

On our Star cruise, I sent out 2 nice polo shirts. One red and the other a bright yellow. They were still relatively new, both having already been washed/dried 3 or 4 times at home. And these were not cheap Made-in-Bangladesh shirts either.

When they were brought back to me their colours were noticeably dulled. It was painfully obvious. The yellow shirt went from being bright as the Sun to dark like Dijon mustard (sorry, I can't think of a better colour reference.)

Both shirts were still wearable however. Hey, it was like having 2 new shirts!

Ouchies! Methinks the Star laundry isn't as good as others - my cotton night gown came back with strong "heated" smell - it took several washes at home to get rid of the smell.

Epic's laundry is excellent, being a new ship.

Ouchies! Methinks the Star laundry isn't as good as others - my cotton night gown came back with strong "heated" smell - it took several washes at home to get rid of the smell.

Epic's laundry is excellent, being a new ship.

Any idea what day out of the Epics 7-day cruise do they send out the all-you-can-stuff laundry bags?

Regarding my shirts; yes! They also had that heated smell you mentioned. It reminded me of my mothers old old VERY OLD iron she would use. She'd iron my shirt for Sunday School and it left this hot burning metal scent on it. (ahhhh, that just made me sad :( )

I take a few pair of solid color and/or denim pants/capris. Then I pack tons of tops which I roll and pack in the front pocket of my suitcase. I can fit a bunch. I take enough undies for trip. They are small. Then I have pants laundered and pressed.

I didn't use the ships laundry on our TA crossing. I did however buy the quick dry underpants and washed in the sink. I had 3 pairs and one was on, one was dry and one was on the line drying. Bras dry quickly too. I did have some nylon/poly tops that I did in the sink as well and they came out fine. Pants I just had enough to wear a couple of days with the tops that matched more than one pair. I managed quite well with my 21 inch suitcase.

We were on a 14 day and used the "all you can fit in the bag" special the last week. Everything came back with little labels with our names put on them, so be prepared that some heat will be applied to your clothes. We did not put anything in that was delicate, like a beaded top, but undies, shorts, shirts, pants etc came back fine...

We packed items that all mixed and matched--one carry on per, with another case for toiletries, shoes, etc...

We used the bag specials on the Pearl and didn't send anything other than shirts, jeans, capris. DH wasn't disappointed but I was; "dulled" shirt colors as mentioned in another post and funny smell on some. Those ironed on identifying labels can't be easily removed, either. I try to pack so that everything coordinates and light-weight tops can be rinsed out.

He just wanted to take home clean clothing! Never would I send out anything "good" to ship laundry.

I didn't use the ships laundry on our TA crossing. I did however buy the quick dry underpants and washed in the sink. I had 3 pairs and one was on, one was dry and one was on the line drying. Bras dry quickly too. I did have some nylon/poly tops that I did in the sink as well and they came out fine. Pants I just had enough to wear a couple of days with the tops that matched more than one pair. I managed quite well with my 21 inch suitcase.

I travel with my mom and early on imposed a no-granny panty-wash zone in our shared bathroom. I urged her to pack plenty. How much room does underwear take up in a suitcase???

The bag special is great and will be offered more than twice on your sailing. Roll your items to get the most use out of the bag. Everything comes back wrapped in a wicker bag and tissue paper. Have never had any problems with anything fading or becoming discolored.

We sent laundry out with the bag special. It was only wash and fold. One pair of jeans came back very faded out and some cotton pink/white PJs came back with a grey and dingy look. I think it was all washed together in hot hot water. Our friends in the next cabin requested an iron and ironing board twice but never got it. They gave up on it. Bring Downey wrinkle spray just in case.

• 6 months later...

If you send your laundry out under the bag special is it true nothing is ironed just washed and folded? What if you send it out under the pay per item charge, will your slacks or shirts come back ironed?

OR... must you pay for the washing and then pay again for the pressing on each such item? If so that is a heafty price to pay!

Archived