WC Words of Wisdom Please

mysty

On long voyages, the annoying cough and sniffles are referred to as Kennel Cough. Woof.

Duct tape, I have not heard of this phenomenon. We have caught sniffles on cruises in the past and usually it was just before we had to fly home. :( Flying and sniffles don't mix very well. I'll make sure to add cough syrup and cold meds to the list! Thanks for the cautionary note!

So what do you do for currency exchange, my wonderful group of advisors? I know SS has some currency available but surely not enough for everyone. Do you get a wee bit of currency from each country on the itinerary or do you rely on ATMs? Thanks so much for your help!

So what do you do for currency exchange, my wonderful group of advisors? I know SS has some currency available but surely not enough for everyone. Do you get a wee bit of currency from each country on the itinerary or do you rely on ATMs? Thanks so much for your help!

I would suggest that you carry a reasonable amount of $US (and maybe some Euro's if there are sufficient countries visited to warrant taking them). On our travels around the world we have been to very few places that will not accept $US. Other than that MasterCard and Visa credit cards will suffice.

I would suggest that you carry a reasonable amount of $US (and maybe some Euro's if there are sufficient countries visited to warrant taking them). On our travels around the world we have been to very few places that will not accept $US. Other than that MasterCard and Visa credit cards will suffice.

Excellent! Thanks so much Silver Spectre! I was really hoping that we would not need to invest a lot in foreign currency before we left. I really appreciate your input!

Silversea does not do currency exchange.

Thanks oregon50! I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible to get some foreign currency on the ship. I stand corrected! I appreciate your input!

Sometimes, currency exchange is available on board but it is rare. I would not count on it. The Hub always purchases foreign currency before we go. There is often some leftover. You can exchange it at the airport or save it for later!

Sometimes, currency exchange is available on board but it is rare. I would not count on it. The Hub always purchases foreign currency before we go. There is often some leftover. You can exchange it at the airport or save it for later!

Thanks again duct tape! I read the "Setting Sail" again and I guess I had misremembered the bit about currency. The document said that sometimes a local bank representative is comes on board for currency exchange. I think I will suggest my Hub follow your Hub's example. :)

The key is to do the research.

In many locations we can just charge with our credit card and use USA dollars. In some locations we do need local currency and we either get it in advance or get it via an ATM or at a money store.

If you will not need a lot of money sometimes it's just easy to get it in advance at your local bank. Yes, you pay a little more over say an in country ATM but even if it is a few hundred dollars and you pay 3% more at home it's not a big deal.

Keith

The key is to do the research.

In many locations we can just charge with our credit card and use USA dollars. In some locations we do need local currency and we either get it in advance or get it via an ATM or at a money store.

If you will not need a lot of money sometimes it's just easy to get it in advance at your local bank. Yes, you pay a little more over say an in country ATM but even if it is a few hundred dollars and you pay 3% more at home it's not a big deal.

Keith

Thanks so much Keith! We are not big shoppers but we do like to sample local foods. And a few small trinkets for the grandkids. I will check out the info port by port and make a list of the places for which we should have a wee bit of local currency. I really appreciate the time you are spending on helping me get prepared Keith! Thanks!

Not sure anyone mentioned this: Bring an extra suitcase, we used a soft sided duffle bag.

Sure no one mentioned this: Consider taking bridge lessons. This is a great time to do so, you will receive instruction from an expert player, every day at sea. If you have never played before, you will be able to play when you are done.

Thank you so much threeforthree! The extra suitcase is an excellent idea. Not something I had considered but brilliant! My husband and I are both bridge players but further instruction is another great suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

That triggered a memory. One year, there was a newly retired couple on for the whole WC. Their goals were to learn to play bridge and to learn how to dance. They were successful on both counts and we got a show to watch them perform. Great fun!

That triggered a memory. One year, there was a newly retired couple on for the whole WC. Their goals were to learn to play bridge and to learn how to dance. They were successful on both counts and we got a show to watch them perform. Great fun!

duct tape the dancing thing is a neat idea! My husband does not like to dance but I love it. The poor soul has humoured me through ballroom dancing lessons and square dance lessons. At this stage of the game, I think he would be quite happy to let me dance with anyone so inclined as long as it was not him. Ha Ha! And we will be newly retired. This cruise is the incentive my husband needed to go for the easier life. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Musty,

I forgot to mention ........ always pack any essential medication in your hand luggage ..... but you would do that anyway .... right?

:)

Jeff

Yes Jeff! :) I would do that anyway! Spinnaker2's sad saga just reinforced that idea! So glad that things worked out for them! Thanks for thinking of me!

Yes Jeff! :) I would do that anyway! Spinnaker2's sad saga just reinforced that idea! So glad that things worked out for them! Thanks for thinking of me!

I have a squint about this stuff. I just hate nasty surprises particularly those that are in some way avoidable. I split medication three ways ie between myself and wifey's carry on and in luggage ... but enough for 3 x the trip split ie two out of three can be lost. I also carry a copy of the prescription for any customs people.

Jeff

I have a squint about this stuff. I just hate nasty surprises particularly those that are in some way avoidable. I split medication three ways ie between myself and wifey's carry on and in luggage ... but enough for 3 x the trip split ie two out of three can be lost. I also carry a copy of the prescription for any customs people.

Jeff

Good suggestions! I hadn't thought of bringing copies of the prescriptions. Brilliant!!! Thanks so much Jeff!

Our gp always provides us with a neat letter describing the prescribed drugs, and if necessary, evidences the vaccination status.

This becomes a part of a comprehensive travel file which resides in several places (cloud ,laptop and several portable drives) , and can (almost) always be accessed.

Our gp always provides us with a neat letter describing the prescribed drugs, and if necessary, evidences the vaccination status.

This becomes a part of a comprehensive travel file which resides in several places (cloud ,laptop and several portable drives) , and can (almost) always be accessed.

Excellent suggestion tgh! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Much appreciated!

hi

We also put colour photo copies of passports and contact details inside our cases in a sealed envelope. The data is also on a memory stick in the hand luggage including the losted credit card numbers and the number to dial from around the world.

Do make sure that your mobile will work and that the company does not block your calls because you have breached the data limit. We found out the hard way and most call center people have no knowledge of the world map or time zones

Joe