Included Excursions

rosepark

This is for anyone who is currently, or has been, on any Med voyages where certain excursions are now included. I would be most interested to know about the standard of the included excursions: are they of the same calibre as the paid trips, are SS packing more people on to buses than before and what is the general impression of the included trips?

Many thanks

Rp

I am currently on board the Spirit (Rome-Venice), one of the first cruises with included excursions. We booked before the prices went very high up due to the inclusion. My observation is that this may have attracted a younger crowd (a significant number of people in their 40's and 50's) than we have seen in other cruises. On the not so positive side, when tours meet in the show lounge and leave for the tenders, those of us waiting for tenders are made to wait until all those in tours are serviced. We waited in line for close to half an hour for a tender... In terms of quality, most people in these cruises were quick to point out that they were very good and they were very pleased. However, I would suggest a more efficient organization for tender use, where non-tour people know in advance at which time tenders would be available for them.

I am currently on board the Spirit (Rome-Venice), one of the first cruises with included excursions. We booked before the prices went very high up due to the inclusion. My observation is that this may have attracted a younger crowd (a significant number of people in their 40's and 50's) than we have seen in other cruises. On the not so positive side, when tours meet in the show lounge and leave for the tenders, those of us waiting for tenders are made to wait until all those in tours are serviced. We waited in line for close to half an hour for a tender... In terms of quality, most people in these cruises were quick to point out that they were very good and they were very pleased. However, I would suggest a more efficient organization for tender use, where non-tour people know in advance at which time tenders would be available for them.

Many thanks Itacha, this is most useful.

It must be frustrating for those of you who have to wait to tender before starting your days ashore.

Hopefully SS will iron out this problem. I am pleased that the consensus of opinion , thus far, seems to be positive about the quality of the included trips.

Thank you for taking the time to reply when you are on holiday.

Rp

It is usually announced that initial tender service is for those on SS booked tours. Check what time the last tour leaves and then head below. Hope you enjoy your cruise! Let us know how it goes. We will be on the Spirit in Sept.

This is for anyone who is currently, or has been, on any Med voyages where certain excursions are now included. I would be most interested to know about the standard of the included excursions: are they of the same calibre as the paid trips, are SS packing more people on to buses than before and what is the general impression of the included trips?

Many thanks

Rp

The excursions themselves have not changed. We booked our upcoming Med cruise prior to Jan 15 of this year, so we must pay the regular prices for all tours. Those who booked after January 15 receive some tours (those now designated as "Silver Shore Select") for free, and a significantly lower price on the others. We have done some of the same now free tours on previous cruises, and the quality was fine.

Edited by Wellseasoned
Whoops, I was referring to "tours", not "cruises" in my post. Sorry.

The excursions themselves have not changed. We booked our upcoming Med cruise prior to Jan 15 of this year, so we must pay the regular prices for all tours. Those who booked after January 15 receive some tours (those now designated as "Silver Shore Select") for free, and a significantly lower price on the others. We have done some of the same now free tours on previous cruises, and the quality was fine.

thank you for this, just what I wanted to know. I have seen some Regent people complain about the quality of their included tours so I am pleased to see that this does not appear to be an issue with SS.

Rp

On the not so positive side, when tours meet in the show lounge and leave for the tenders, those of us waiting for tenders are made to wait until all those in tours are serviced. We waited in line for close to half an hour for a tender...

This is not right at all. Some people have private excursions and a pre-arranged meeting time. I would be getting on the tender anyway if I had a private tour at the same time as a ship tour. I just returned from a Crystal cruise, and everyone who wanted to board a tender got into the same line, which admittedly got a bit scraggly since elevators and stairways both open onto the area where the tenders load and unload.

In our case, the HD was strictly controlling the line, favoring those with SS cruise tickets. Ours was a "transition" cruise, with many people booking before the inclusive policy, so there were many upset guests. From now on, it will be worse in terms of private cruise guests, since the policy will be enforced and all will be having "free" excursions. Duct Tape has it right that it will behoove you to book the private tours before, or after, the SS tours are expected to tender. Of course, no big deal when ship is docked.

thank you for this, just what I wanted to know. I have seen some Regent people complain about the quality of their included tours so I am pleased to see that this does not appear to be an issue with SS.

Rp

The excursions themselves did not change on Regent when excursions became included. What changed is that many more people take the ship's excursions which resulted crowded buses or sites in some cases.

The excursions themselves did not change on Regent when excursions became included. What changed is that many more people take the ship's excursions which resulted crowded buses or sites in some cases.

Quite right.SS tours used to be fantastic ,buses never more than 60% full,less waiting around at stops,a great way of meeting fellow guests in civilised surroundings who wanted to do the tour rather than feeling they had to because it's included.Unfortunately this new venture also inconveniences those guests who wish to depart the ship early and do their own thing.Much preferred the old system which seemed to work ok.

So not only are they charging more for cruises with these "included" excursions that you may not want to take, they are also inhibiting those who want to do their own thing from having as much time in port as possible when tendered. What a load of you know what!!!!

Why not book the "free" excursion even if you have made private plans. That way, you can get off with the early group and go on about your business.

Perhaps because tours will be expecting and therefore waiting for passengers who will not be turning up? Isn't this unfair to the other ones on the trip? Will the wastage not increase prices?

Jeff

Why not book the "free" excursion even if you have made private plans. That way, you can get off with the early group and go on about your business.

I really would not recommend doing this. For one, they will be looking and waiting for you.

For another, there may be people wait listed for this excursion who really want to take it. And that is unfair to them.

I really would not recommend doing this. For one, they will be looking and waiting for you.

For another, there may be people wait listed for this excursion who really want to take it. And that is unfair to them.

Surely there will not be a wait list for excursions if they are included in the price for all passengers.

Surely there will not be a wait list for excursions if they are included in the price for all passengers.

Actually, the included excursions (the "Silver Shore Select" designation) are also booked on a first come first served basis. If they fill up they are waitlisted just like the other excursions which are not "free". And there is no compensation issued if the excursion is cancelled, missed, etc. This is made clear in the tour book information on line in the My Voyage section of the website for those booked on 2015 Med cruises.

For those of us who booked prior to January 15 of this year no cruises are free and the terms are the same as in the past.

As of now the free and reduced price excursion thing is a test, only on Med cruises and only this year. Maybe it won't fly.

Regarding the tenders, I don't think that reserving the earliest ones for early tour groups is new or has anything specifically to do with the included excursions. This has been standard procedure on all of our SS cruises in the last few years. But they could probably modify the policy to include those who have booked early private tours if they know in advance. It's best to keep everyone happy.

Actually, the included excursions (the "Silver Shore Select" designation) are also booked on a first come first served basis. If they fill up they are waitlisted just like the other excursions which are not "free". And there is no compensation issued if the excursion is cancelled, missed, etc. This is made clear in the tour book information on line in the My Voyage section of the website for those booked on 2015 Med cruises.

For those of us who booked prior to January 15 of this year no cruises are free and the terms are the same as in the past. Thanks for clarification

As of now the free and reduced price excursion thing is a test, only on Med cruises and only this year. Maybe it won't fly.

Regarding the tenders, I don't think that reserving the earliest ones for early tour groups is new or has anything specifically to do with the included excursions. This has been standard procedure on all of our SS cruises in the last few years. But they could probably modify the policy to include those who have booked early private tours if they know in advance. It's best to keep everyone happy.

Thanks for clarification that paying the inflated price for included excursions gives the client no guarantee they will be able to get on the excursions they have paid up front for !In that case for all the problems mentioned on this thread let's hope the one summer test fails and SS revert to the old system of the client paying for excursions he/she wish to undertake in each port rather than be charged up front for excursions they may not wish to do nor in fact be able to get on.

I have also noticed that there is not a Silver Shore Select excursion in every port! Haven't read the fine print because we did not opt in after booking our Venice to Istanbul cruise but I thought it was implied there would be an excursion included in each port. I am really hoping this will be an unsuccessful trial as well.

I have also noticed that there is not a Silver Shore Select excursion in every port! Haven't read the fine print because we did not opt in after booking our Venice to Istanbul cruise but I thought it was implied there would be an excursion included in each port. I am really hoping this will be an unsuccessful trial as well.

GG, I had a quick look as you and we are on the same trip and there seem to be included excursions for each port showing on my My SilverSea page (IYSWIM). I wonder if there might be different listings for US and UK people - daft, if so.

Some excursions, included and paid for are already showing as waitlisted and we are over 90 days away from boarding, so goodness knows what availablilty will be like once the silver box comes out. I think there might be a few disappointed punters.

I also have a feeling that the number of included excursions has been reduced. Foolishly I didn't download the tour book when it was first on line, and it has been updates as at 14th June, but I have a feeling that there was more than one included excursion offered for Hvar and Corfu but I can only see one listed now for each.

Am I imagining things?

Rp

Even before the included excursion thing, the excursions listed ahead of time on the website and those that were actually available once booking opened up often varied. On more than one occasion, I have picked out an excursion that sounded interesting, but when online booking opened, it has been gone. Not a new thing. This happens on Regent also.

I think those listed online prior to booking opening up are a representative list of ones that have been offered in the past, not necessarily what will be available.

Even before the included excursion thing, the excursions listed ahead of time on the website and those that were actually available once booking opened up often varied. On more than one occasion, I have picked out an excursion that sounded interesting, but when online booking opened, it has been gone. Not a new thing. This happens on Regent also.

I think those listed online prior to booking opening up are a representative list of ones that have been offered in the past, not necessarily what will be available.

Thanks RachelG, noted.

I have a feeling, however, but nothing to back it up unfortunately, that some of the included excursions have changed SINCE the online booking opened. For instance, the included excursion which we are now on in Hvar is different, I am sure, to the one which I thought we had gone for and the one which I thought I had booked has disappeared.

Am I going doolally or is it just that I need a holiday?

So, if there is anyone out there who is going to be in Hvar from the Spirit on 20th September this year and who thought they had booked Hvar Island Highlights and now find they are on Hvar Town and Concert, with the Island Highlights having disappeared, could they please let me know?

I will be lying down in a darkened room in the meantime.

Many thanks

Rp